Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USCIS Launches "Direct Filing" for Local Offices I-485/I-765/I-131 in Two Phases

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USCIS Launches "Direct Filing" for Local Offices I-485/I-765/I-131 in Two Phases

Source: Oh Law Firm

USCIS has been requiring "indirect filing" of local I-485/I-765/I-131 applications meaning that people filed these cases at the local offices but the cases have been immediately shipped out to lock boxes for the National Benefit Center processing in Missouri and the NBC processed the cases.

However, the USCIS announced today that it would change from "indirect" filing to "direct" filing in two phases. The first phase starts on December 1, 2004, the second phase starts on April 1, 2005. The people residing in the Phase I states must file such applications by mail directly to the national lock boxes in Chicago. However, the USCIS sets up a grace period of 30 days and if people mistakenly file with the local offices on indirect filing, it will still accept and forward to the national lock box, but after 30 days, such filings will be rejected and retured to the applicants.

Phase I States, Effective 12/01/2004:

AL, AZ, AR, CO, CT, DE, FL, GA, HI, IL, IN, KY, LO, ME, MA, MI, MN, MS, NV, NH, NJ, NY, NC, ND, OH, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, UT, VT, VA, WV, WI, WY, DC, Guam, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands.
    P.O. Box Mailing Address: U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, P. O. Box 805887, Chicago, IL 60680-4120
    Street Address for express filings: U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, 427 S. LaSalle, 3rd Floor, Chicago, IL 60605-1098

Phase II States, Effective 04/01/2005:

AK, CA, ID, IA, KS, MD, MO, MT, NE, NM, OK, OR, TX, WA.

Filing address yet to be decided.

Could this mean EAD can be received the same-day at some offices?

Source: Oh Law Firm

USCIS has been requiring "indirect filing" of local I-485/I-765/I-131 applications meaning that people filed these cases at the local offices but the cases have been immediately shipped out to lock boxes for the National Benefit Center processing in Missouri and the NBC processed the cases.

However, the USCIS announced today that it would change from "indirect" filing to "direct" filing in two phases. The first phase starts on December 1, 2004, the second phase starts on April 1, 2005. The people residing in the Phase I states must file such applications by mail directly to the national lock boxes in Chicago. However, the USCIS sets up a grace period of 30 days and if people mistakenly file with the local offices on indirect filing, it will still accept and forward to the national lock box, but after 30 days, such filings will be rejected and retured to the applicants.

Phase I States, Effective 12/01/2004:

AL, AZ, AR, CO, CT, DE, FL, GA, HI, IL, IN, KY, LO, ME, MA, MI, MN, MS, NV, NH, NJ, NY, NC, ND, OH, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, UT, VT, VA, WV, WI, WY, DC, Guam, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands.
    P.O. Box Mailing Address: U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, P. O. Box 805887, Chicago, IL 60680-4120
    Street Address for express filings: U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, 427 S. LaSalle, 3rd Floor, Chicago, IL 60605-1098

Phase II States, Effective 04/01/2005:

AK, CA, ID, IA, KS, MD, MO, MT, NE, NM, OK, OR, TX, WA.

Filing address yet to be decided.

Could this mean EAD can be received the same-day at some offices?

Comment

Working...
    X