Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaving the US

My husband and I are moving to Canada.
    He is a US citizen and just received his Canadian PR.
    I have a US greencard.
    We do not intent to return to the US to live.
    My question is - What do I have to do? do I let immigration know my change of address?
    Will I still be able to come back to the US for a visit?

Thanks

I have a US greencard.
    My question is - What do I have to do? do I let immigration know my change of address?

Thanks

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gidoughty:
      What do I have to do? do I let immigration know my change of address?
      Will I still be able to come back to the US for a visit? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you don't intend to return to live in the US in a near future, you should formally abandon your US residency. Make an appointment in the US embassy, fill out the form I-407 and surrender your GC officialy.
      You can come to visit at any time, but you may need a visa depending on the country of your citizenship. (not sure if a as a resident of Canada you would have some special treatment).

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gidoughty:
        I have a US greencard.

Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
        You do not need a Visa to visit US from Canada. As an Immgrant Visa holder from Canada you shall need you Passport to cross the border.
        Please do let the I R S know that you are settling in Canada; so that they do not expect your yearly Tax Returns.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul1:
          Please do let the I R S know that you are settling in Canada; so that they do not expect your yearly Tax Returns. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

IRS will expect tax report from her USC husband no matter where he lives...Gidoughty may declare herself a resident of US for tax purposes, so they file jointly..

Comment

and don't forget to take the illegals living in the US with you. Bye!!!
            to Rambo and every damm illegal alien in the U.S. GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE!!! Your own countries are supposed to support you, THEY have an OBLIGATION with you, not us, when will you get it thru your sick skulls. We have MILLIONS of people who SHOULD

Comment

Working...
            X