Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Depression in Immigrants from equatorial countries.........

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Depression in Immigrants from equatorial countries.........

now living in northern states with much les sunlight. Since being married my husband, an african immigrant, has battled what he calls "times of sadness". I am more sure it is depression he is dealing with. I knew it was at its worse when he requested we look into medication. He is adamantly against what he calls anything unatural. Any reponses from other people dealing with this would be great!!

now living in northern states with much les sunlight. Since being married my husband, an african immigrant, has battled what he calls "times of sadness". I am more sure it is depression he is dealing with. I knew it was at its worse when he requested we look into medication. He is adamantly against what he calls anything unatural. Any reponses from other people dealing with this would be great!!

Comment

Go to Florida!!!

Comment

He's not depressed, he's up to something. So you better watch close. I've heard this story before.

Comment

Seriously, no one will give you a better advice than your heart.
          A person feels depressed when his life is misbalanced and insecure. Your instincts will show you the way how to comfort your husband; you just have to believe in yourself...

Comment

He thinks he would like to live in Florida, over my dead crocodile chewed body...just kidding! Maybe, he would be more happy there. Goodgam, what do you mean you've heard this story before? Examples.....? Mpodcsin, you sounds like a really compassionate person....thank you for responding! It is just really hard to watch someone you love struggling so much. I think besides the sunlight deficiency, many immigrants (mostly those from impoverished countries) come here seeking the American dream and when they realize financial worries are everywhere they feel really let down. One of the things I fell in love with was his positive attitude. He was always the life of the party. He doesn't want to socialize anymore, he doesn't care about what he looks like (used to be impecable), sleeps a couple hours a night, losing weight, doesn't eat. I have actually heard him crying in the shower.

Comment

please write immigration issue here

Comment

what shahkr????

Comment

What is stressing him out? How much do know about what he went thru in his Country? Might help if u find out the source of the stress!!!
                  AOS from F1 "overstay" to
                  Sept.2004 Got hitched
                  10/03/06 AOS packet mailed
                  10.09.06 recieved
                  10.16.06 Recieved NOAs
                  10.18.06 all Touched
                  10.19.06 I 765 Touched and Medical mailed
                  10.24.06 recieved biometrics letter
                  10.26.06 I 130 touched

Comment

I think he had these hopes of making it big with a business and being able to take care of his relatives in Africa. it isn't happening.

Comment

Grey skies-
                      Although I understand how you feel, your husband's depression is not related to any of the immigration issues.
                      If you need an advise on depression and want to find people with similar problems, you are not in the right place.

Contact a psycologist or seek the support on depression related forums.

I hope you husband feels better!!!

Comment

How long has your husband been in the States?
                        I don't know your husband's history,and if there's more to it... but I believe there is an adjustment period of time everybody goes through when moving to a foreign country for good.
                        I was well sure of my choice and I love my husband, but when I moved to the States, far away from all my family, I went through a terrible phase, it lasted a year and a half, I guess it was very similar to depression, don't know if that's what it was, but I cried sooooo much and the expression "time of sadness" would be the perfect way to describe that. That's I believe something everybody goes through, more or less or with different degrees according to your personality. Be very close to him and make him know you perfectly understand what he's going through and that it will get better, it will. Of course you know him and his life, if there's more to it, then it's to yours and his discretion if you need to seek professional help. A good therapy with a good doctor, I would stay away from medications though. Of course the gloomy weather doesn't help much, I was lucky to come straight to Florida, the climate is very similar to my home country and I am sure it does make a difference!
                        Good luck to you both!

Comment

Sounds like depression and it may be due to light. It is called Seasonal Affective Disorder. (SAD) You need a psychologist or psychiatrist to determine. You can use full spectrum lighting for twenty minutes a day. Which northern state are you in? The Eastern states are not too bad because he can spend some time in the sun. Make sure your home is bright (open to natrual light).

You can also try St. Johns Wort (900 mg min per day - 300 am, 300 noon, 300 early pm - if agitated, cut the pm dose.) No side effects and safe to take. You can also try sam E. Others are available at the health food store. regualr vitamins won't work unless it is a B 12 defiency needing medical intervention (shots in the b u t t.)

My strongest suggestion is to have a determination by a qualified professional - first a complete medical and blood work - and then a psych. or psychiatrist. That way you can determine if this is really due to SAD or is a cyclical disorder. Many major illnesses are diagnosed with the first symptom being depression (ie pancreatic cancer).
                          How long have you known this man?

Comment

He is most likely depressed and I'm so sorry to hear that. It is difficult to see someone you love depressed. Spring is here and summer's just around the corner, so that might help. He might be able to come out of this on his own. Adjusting to a new life can't be easy. No doubt it's harder than he expected. Just make sure he knows you love and support him. If things don't start to improve, please do seek professional help.

Comment

The SADdest disorder among Immigrants is Diarrhea !

Comment

Working...
                              X