US Citizenship

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Citizenship

How long do I have to be a permanent resident to get my citizenship? I also want to know if I would lose my canadian citizenship. Is my son allowed to have a canadian citizenship even if he is born in the US?

How long do I have to be a permanent resident to get my citizenship? I also want to know if I would lose my canadian citizenship. Is my son allowed to have a canadian citizenship even if he is born in the US?

Comment

if you'r married to a u.s citizen then you can apply for citizen after 3 years . if your not married to a u.s citizen then you have to wait 5 full years to apply for citizen.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shelly2020:
        How long do I have to be a permanent resident to get my citizenship? I also want to know if I would lose my canadian citizenship. Is my son allowed to have a canadian citizenship even if he is born in the US? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why did you leave Canada? didn't you like the health care system?
        "Being all fashioned of the self-same dust let us be merciful as well as just"
        Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Comment

The only reason I left Canada was because I married a US Citizen (my first husband). Things got really bad between the two of us so we got a divorce and I had my conditions lifted last summer. I fianlly got my divorce in early 2005 and I was remarried at the end of 2005 to an Air Force soldier. We have a child together and a wonderful marriage and he is the reason why I am not moving back to Canada. When my ex and I were going through our speration and then divorce I had full intentions on moving back to Canada after I had saved up some money but then I met my current husband and everything changed.

I am still wondering if I would keep my Canadian Citizenship if I became a US Citizen? I dont want to lose it in case my husband and I decide once he is out of the military that we have that door open to us. Also for my son sake this would open another door for him when he is older.

Comment

Hi Shelly,

You will have to ask Canadian Embassy if
            you can have a dual citizenship.

I was also naturalized USC through my parents petition, but when I married my husband ( american) I filed dual citizenship for both of us in my home country.

Comment

so it is possible to have a dual citizenship then? I know that when you fill out the paper work for USC it states that you have to give up any other citizenship that is what confused me.

Comment

Hi Shelly2020,

Dual citizenship is allowed in the US; just not something that's widely promoted. You need to check on the Canadian side too, as Speed suggested to make sure your bases are covered. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks I will check it out.

Comment

Dual citizenship with USA and Canada is allowed. They generally don't promote it as it can sometimes cause difficulties, however when I went for my visa interview yesterday in another country that the US recognizes dual citizenship for, they actually touted it.
                    The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it - Plutarch

Comment

I am not sure where he/she got this news.
                      I would suggest all the Dual Citizens must see the U.S. Government Laws on Dual Citizenship.

Go to State.gov, then see on right hand "About State" click then go to the bottom of the page and click on Foreign Affairs Manual, click on 7 FAM 080. Read the laws before you can say US Recognize the dual Citizenship.

Comment

Dual citizenship is not applied in the US.

In my case I applied it in my home country because the country allows it.
                        In my home country Im considered dual citizen.
                        meaning I can still own a property or keep my existing property under my name.

So I suggest you ask Canadian embassy if they allow dual citizenship.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shelly2020:
                          How long do I have to be a permanent resident to get my citizenship? I also want to know if I would lose my canadian citizenship. Is my son allowed to have a canadian citizenship even if he is born in the US? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Canada allows dual Citizenship and as Iperson said, it is up to your home country whether they require you to renounce or not.
                          US allows it to but there are some exceptions,

http://www.uscitizenship.info/usciti...al-citizen.htm

Regarding your son, this is what it says from a site:

How do I find out if my child born outside Canada is a Canadian citizen?

If your child was born outside Canada after February 14, 1977, and you were a Canadian citizen when the child was born, your child is automatically a Canadian citizen.

If you were also born in another country after February 14, 1977, to a Canadian parent your child may need to take steps to retain their citizenship before they turn 28 years of age.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...roof-faq02.asp

Regarding when you can apply for your US Citizenship in your case it will be 90 days before your 3rd anniversary of when you received your Green Card.
                          As long as you are still married and living together up to the Oath Ceremony (because it is marriage based) otherwise it will be pushed to 5 yrs.
                          -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
                          1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

Comment

I checked it out and the Canadian government will always see me as a Canadian because I am Canadian born. My son also has that priviledge even if I become a US citizen. Thanks so much for your help

Comment

Reading this again, I realized I had forgotten to add this part ...

As a spouse, you can apply for citizenship 3 years after becoming a legal permanent resident. If you were initially a conditional resident, the 3 years starts after your conditions are removed.

This is conditional on you being married to the same man for the 3 years. Since you've remarried, you may have to wait 5 years, but I would check with USCIS.

Kumar, the information I gave (if you were referring to me in your comment) came from immigration officers at a US Consulate just last week. Both of the people we spoke to during our interview process informed myself and my sons what dual citizenship meant, what benefits it had, and recommended that we go that route. Perhaps they were referring to the fact that my country of birth recognizes dual citizenship, but according to the Department of State website, US law doesn't mention dual nationality or require people to choose one citizenship over another (source). Most of the laws forbidding dual citizenship in the US were struck down in the US Supreme Court in rulings in 1967 and again in 1980.
                              The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it - Plutarch

Comment

Working...
                              X