No announcement yet.

Marriage Fraud Victims - Please Read

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beverley, actually in a lot of countries it is very hard to get any back ground check on a person.

In UK for example, there is the data protection act, and its not like over here where you can quite easily look up people on the internet.

Criminal files etc are not for public record like here, so for any American it would be very hard to obtain records on people.

However saying that, before you are allowed to enter the US on a visa, you have to get a background check from the police. You have to submit that before you get your visa.
    If a legal immigrant did do something criminally and didn't show up on police records, well there is obviously something wrong with their countries legal system.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
    1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

Comment

I also think that is why you have to go for Biometrics, so the FBI can do background checks etc.,

Comment

I would like to point something out though..a legal immigrant has to go through everything to enter the US, or before they obtain their GC.

Now a USC does not. So you could see this as..why doesn't a USC have the same treatment as a legal immigrant?

Example..I had to have a HIV test, STD tests, TB test (xray), and multi tests. Also had to have all my immunizations checked and updated, as well as have additional ones depending what my States requirements were.

I had criminal background check, medical, so on and son.
        What did my husband have...zilch. (well actually I insisted he had STD and HIV test too which was was not very happy to do, but he did in the end).

When you marry someone in your own country, you don't usually do background checks etc. I am sure that a lot of people who marry, hide something from their past, whether petty crime or financial problems.
        At least with a legal immigrant, because of the immigration checks have to be done. (Yes I know some apparently slip through going by a few stories on here).
        -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

A lot of countries (well actually I only know of the US who does), only do tax returns.
          In UK for example, its only the self employed who do tax returns, or if you rent out property.
          Our employers and tax offices do it all for us, we don't submit anything we just get a piece of paper at end of year (like W2). And even maybe a nice tax refund

Comment

Fraud is [b]VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY difficult to prove. .
            This is(as usual) incorrect. The "standard of proof" is the level of proof required in a legal action to discharge the burden of proof, ie convince the court that a given proposition is true. The degree of proof required depends on the circumstances of the proposition. The "preponderance of evidence" (which is the lowest level, generally thought to be greater than 50%, although numeric approximations are controversial) and "beyond a reasonable doubt" (which is the highest level, but defies numeric approximation).[citation needed] In addition to these, a third standard called "clear and convincing evidence", (which is the medium level of proof).

In both civil and administrative proceedings, the standard to prove fraud is the lowest - preponderance of the evidence. In removal proceedings, the burden is on the immigrant to show why he should not be removed and then shifts to the prosecution to show that he should. Some reasons to deport someone include felony convictions, bad moral character, EWI and marriage fraud (among many others).

Evidence that would qualify to prove that there was marriage fraud includes the following: 1) Divorce (for any reason) within 2 years of receiving a conditional green card 2) An annulment based on marriage fraud 3) Other final court judgments bases on marriage fraud 4) Affidavits of victims and witnesses that there was a marriage fraud 5) Admission that there was a marriage fraud. Sometimes this evidence can be defeated by showing that the marriage was valid by presenting evidence such as joint assets and co-mingling of funds, children born into the marriage, etc... or that the person's motive in leaving the marriage was the all-popular abuse.

A finding of marriage fraud, in theory, is a permanent bar against receiving future immigration benefits on subsequent marriages.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake01:
              <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Beverly:

Before I got married in addition to dating for 3 years (I am married to a born/bred American citizen), this was my criteria: (a) thorough background check; (b) copies of tax returns for last 5 years; (c)copies of all 3 current credit reports. That way I knew exactly who I was marrying and what I was getting into.
              Beverly, you somehow do not surprise me that you did this, but after dating your husband for 3 years, did you still not trust him, and out of curiosity, do you trust him now. Also did he do a background check on you, ask you for copies of tax returns, as well as checking into your credit? and I'm wondering do you still do checks on him?

I dont know about anyone else, but I get the feeling you married for money and not love, or that is how it comes across. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ha . .you're kidding right? I work everyday, have excellent credit and no criminal record, why prey tell would I blindly and willingly assume someone elses' burdens? Why would I blindly join my life to some loser like those on this board who did and are now ticked off for being screw-ed over?

As much as you'd like to paint me as a villan with motives, unlike far too many on this board (maybe even your husband who may have married a foreigner/stranger out of lust) WE LIVE IN THE REAL WORLD, WE ARE RESPONSIBLE ADULTS WHOSE BRAINS ARE NOT BETWEEN OUR LEGS; LOVE/LUST DOES NOT PAY THE BILLS, YOU CAN'T EAT IT, LIVE IN IT, NOR IS IT A SUBSTITUTE FOR COMMON SENSE. REAL MARRIAGES BASED ON TRUTH AND REALITY OBVIOUSLY GO A LOT ****HR AND LAST A LOT LONGER THAN THOSE BASED ON LUST AND DELUSIONS OF GRANDIER
              Wolves Travel In Packs

Comment

It's simple. Evidence of fraud and criminal acts of the visa petitioner gathered by any source, USC spouse or other should have a means to present this evidence. It doesn't matter if the USC was given a background check or not. I believe that this should be done but it is not the issue. The issue is open access to the USCIS to present their side and evidence and to be treated fairly. Yes I know the USC often times shoots themselves in the foot with their outrage being interpreted as an abusive personality. That is why urge that USC victims to use the right attorney to vet their presented information as immigration attorneys do for their clients.

Comment

so did your husband do background checks on you?

Could you not have just asked him about his income, and trusted what he said?

And curiosity is killing the cat! are you still married to him

Comment

Beverly, just out of curiousity, if you are not an immigrant, and have not married an immigrant, or not in the immigrant field, may I ask you what brought you to this forum?

I haven't been here for a while, but for what I have seen so far, you like to post articles regarding illegal immigrants.
                    Have you yourself had experience of this or of immigrant fraud?

Comment

By the way, I am not saying you have no right to post here, you have, but just wondered what your story is, as most people have one.

Comment

Jake01, unlike you, I am not here to make friends or share/discuss my personal business/life. That's why I have friends in the real world.

Originally posted by Sprint_girl07:
                        By the way, I am not saying you have no right to post here, you have, but just wondered what your story is, as most people have one.

No problem Sprint. I am here because there is two sides to every story. I post articles that represent the truth and reality that American citizens are suffering as a result of the illegal alien invasion and the failure of our government to secure our borders and the truth with regards to the negative effects and consequences that illegal immigration has on our citizens and our country.

12 Americans per day are murdered by an illegal alien.
                        Wolves Travel In Packs

Comment

Originally posted by Beverly:
                          Jake01, unlike you, I am not here to make friends or share/discuss my personal business/life. That's why I have friends in the real world.

I am sorry Beverly, I didn't mean to pry into your personal life, I was just thinking that maybe I should do a background check on my husband.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake01:
                            <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Beverly:

I am sorry Beverly, I didn't mean to pry into your personal life, I was just thinking that maybe I should do a background check on my husband. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Apology accepted. Unfortunately, since you are already married you have put the cart before the horse. That being said, since you are from another country, it can't hurt to know whether or not he has a violent past, served jail time, ever filed for bankruptcy, has been married before or killed his previous wife and kids . . (just kidding about the the last part) .

Seriously though, when you get married whatever you or your mate does affects both of your lives. His actions either becomes your asset or liability (and vice versa) as exhibited by the horror stories all over this thread. What if he's the product of a long line of of serial killers and you decide to have children but don't find out until AFTER you have one of his psychotic kids?

Marriage is a serious commitment and its what you don't know that can hurt you.
                            Wolves Travel In Packs

Comment

blaming DHS for somebody 'falling in love' (likely out of desperation) is silly...what if the DHS officials had denied the I 130? Would you (the OP) whined loudly to your congressman about our government violating your 'rights?' (while you can marry anyone you want, that doesn't give them nor you the right to a green card...only you have the right (privilege) to file for a green card...big difference...
                              this case is just another reminder that when marrying foreign dudes especially from developing countries or where arabic is the main language, well, expect problems down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Someone12:
                                blaming DHS for somebody 'falling in love' (likely out of desperation) is silly...what if the DHS officials had denied the I 130? Would you (the OP) whined loudly to your congressman about our government violating your 'rights?' (while you can marry anyone you want, that doesn't give them nor you the right to a green card...only you have the right (privilege) to file for a green card...big difference...
                                this case is just another reminder that when marrying foreign dudes especially from developing countries or where arabic is the main language, well, expect problems down the road.
                                Excellent points. The more I read, the more I realize that America is in grave danger. There are millions of illegal aliens who are cultural criminals that have crossed our borders, have no clue how to behave in a civilized society, and personal responsibility is not a part of their vocabulary.
                                Wolves Travel In Packs

Comment

Working...
                                X