EAD and Tuition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EAD and Tuition

Can a individual with an EAD qualify for in-state tuition? Don't you have to be LPR or USC to get in-state tuition?

Thanks

Can a individual with an EAD qualify for in-state tuition? Don't you have to be LPR or USC to get in-state tuition?

Thanks

Comment

this is only a residency issues which requires that you have resided in that state for at least the past 12 months prior to attending the school.

Comment

What if you resided in that state for 12 months or more, but not LPR or USC... and have AOS pending.

Does that qualify the individual for in-state tuition?

Comment

It has NOTHING to do with how long one has resided in the state. Most schools will only grant in-state tuition when permanent resident status has been procured. In my case, I was able to convince the school to allow me to pay in-state tuition with an EAD. It really depends upon the school.

For the record, I lived in my state for 4 years before I qualified for in-state tuition. It had nothing to do with how long I lived there - it rested solely on me getting my EAD.

Comment

it was different than that for nys schools.

Comment

What schools in NY? Not for any of the SUNY schools, not for Cornell. Which one are you referring to?

Comment

what you guys are saying is... you can get an in-state tuition regardless of you status (even as an illegal) as long as you qualify for the 12 months requirement?

Comment

How are you concluding this Mo? I said you have to have permanent resident status (sometimes EAD is good enough). I am questioning josephtrue on where he is getting his information because I have not ever heard of anyone getting in-state tuition based on time lived in a state. It is based on immigrant status.

So, no MO, I am definitely NOT saying you can get in-state tuition regardless of status. Quite the contrary.

Comment

Mo, what school do you want to pay in-state tuition at?

Comment

Ohio State... do you think an EAD works overthere?

Comment

Mo,

Here you go (right off the Ohio State University web site). We'd need to know the nature of your EAD. Are you adjusting status because you married a USC? If so, is your wife a resident of Ohio?

Are non-U.S. citizens eligible for residency for tuition purposes?

If a person is financially independent, they must be a U.S. citizen, Permanent Resident Alien, Political Asylee, Political Refugee, or hold an A, E, G, H, I, L, O, P, R, TC, TD or TN visa to be eligible for review as an in-state resident for tuition purposes. If a student is financially dependent upon a spouse or parent, the person they are dependent upon must also must be a U.S. citizen, Permanent Resident Alien, Political Asylee or Political Refugee, or hold an A, E, G, H, I, L, O, P, R, TC, TD or TN visa inorder for the student to qualify to be reviewed for in-state residency. Students who hold an B, F, J, or M visa are not eligible to establish Ohio residency unless they are financially dependent upon a spouse or parent who is a bona fide Ohio resident. This is defined as a person who meets the criteria established in the Ohio Board of Regent's Guidelines and is also a U.S. citizen, Permanent Resident Alien, Political Asylee, Political Refugee, or hold an A, E, G, H, I, L, O, P, R, TC, TD or TN visa. (NOTE: This change was made by the Ohio Board of Regents and is effective July 28, 2003.) Students whose immigration status is pending are eligible to establish Ohio residency only if their most recent immigration status was eligible to establish Ohio residency. Financially dependent is defined as having been claimed for tax purposes since birth.

Comment

Family based AOS pending.... my dad is a USC, and I am dependant to him.

Comment

Is your dad a resident of Ohio? If not, it looks like you need to (a) wait until you've resided in Ohio for 12 months, and (b) obtained permanent resident status.

What was your status before you adjusted?

Comment

It depends on the state and the school. For most schools, the time that you live in the state while you are enrolled in the school does NOT count for residence. The reason is that people would the only need to pay out-of-state tuition thier freshman year.
                              Have a nice day

Comment

Working...
                              X