Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N400 and taxes

After 34 yrs being a permanent resident- i am ready to apply for citizenship. However, one of the questions on the application asked if you have ever filed your taxes late-the answer to that is yes. I filed late but i didnt owe any federal and i paid the state-it was something like $125. I read earlier where you can get a transcript from the IRS but can i just answer yes and just note what i have paid-i have cancelled checks to show for it and send in the application. In the mean time i will apply for the IRS transcripts and bring it in for the interview. I hope you are understanding my questions-should i just wait and send all documents now or wait till the interview. I am so upset to think that because of procrastination in filing my taxes i may be denied citizenship. Other than the tax issue-i am a college graduate,with a good job and i have never been in any trouble with the law. have citizenship.

After 34 yrs being a permanent resident- i am ready to apply for citizenship. However, one of the questions on the application asked if you have ever filed your taxes late-the answer to that is yes. I filed late but i didnt owe any federal and i paid the state-it was something like $125. I read earlier where you can get a transcript from the IRS but can i just answer yes and just note what i have paid-i have cancelled checks to show for it and send in the application. In the mean time i will apply for the IRS transcripts and bring it in for the interview. I hope you are understanding my questions-should i just wait and send all documents now or wait till the interview. I am so upset to think that because of procrastination in filing my taxes i may be denied citizenship. Other than the tax issue-i am a college graduate,with a good job and i have never been in any trouble with the law. have citizenship.

Comment

As far as I remember do they ask you if you have an outstanding balance with the IRS. I didnt pay my taxes in time one year, but I did pay it after all, So, I didnt have any outstanding balance, and surely, I can proof that. That was enought to keep me out of trouble. My personaly feeling was that the officer in the interview simply wanted to check if I am honest enought to admit, that I paid late one year. So, my impression is, be honest, say whats fact, and you will be fine.

Comment

the question was -Have you ever owed any taxes to IRS in which my answer is yes.. I have been a permanent resident alien for 34 yrs so its been a couple of times i have turned in my return late, but i have never owed federal tax and any state tax i have paid in full.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation