N400 and taxes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N400 and taxes

After 34 yrs being a permanent resident- i am ready to apply for citizenship. However, one of the questions on the application asked if you have ever filed your taxes late-the answer to that is yes. I filed late but i didnt owe any federal and i paid the state-it was something like $125. I read earlier where you can get a transcript from the IRS but can i just answer yes and just note what i have paid-i have cancelled checks to show for it and send in the application. In the mean time i will apply for the IRS transcripts and bring it in for the interview. I hope you are understanding my questions-should i just wait and send all documents now or wait till the interview. I am so upset to think that because of procrastination in filing my taxes i may be denied citizenship. Other than the tax issue-i am a college graduate,with a good job and i have never been in any trouble with the law. have citizenship.

After 34 yrs being a permanent resident- i am ready to apply for citizenship. However, one of the questions on the application asked if you have ever filed your taxes late-the answer to that is yes. I filed late but i didnt owe any federal and i paid the state-it was something like $125. I read earlier where you can get a transcript from the IRS but can i just answer yes and just note what i have paid-i have cancelled checks to show for it and send in the application. In the mean time i will apply for the IRS transcripts and bring it in for the interview. I hope you are understanding my questions-should i just wait and send all documents now or wait till the interview. I am so upset to think that because of procrastination in filing my taxes i may be denied citizenship. Other than the tax issue-i am a college graduate,with a good job and i have never been in any trouble with the law. have citizenship.

Comment

As far as I remember do they ask you if you have an outstanding balance with the IRS. I didnt pay my taxes in time one year, but I did pay it after all, So, I didnt have any outstanding balance, and surely, I can proof that. That was enought to keep me out of trouble. My personaly feeling was that the officer in the interview simply wanted to check if I am honest enought to admit, that I paid late one year. So, my impression is, be honest, say whats fact, and you will be fine.

Comment

the question was -Have you ever owed any taxes to IRS in which my answer is yes.. I have been a permanent resident alien for 34 yrs so its been a couple of times i have turned in my return late, but i have never owed federal tax and any state tax i have paid in full.

Comment

Working...
        X