Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• name change

Hi everyone!

I would like to know if a woman can have both her last and first names changed when divorcing.
    I know for sure, women can take back their maiden name. What about the first name?

Also, after having the name changed when getting divorced, which name should be used in the application for condition removal: the one in the green card, the new one or both?

Appreciate your feedback on the matter.

Hi everyone!

I would like to know if a woman can have both her last and first names changed when divorcing.
    I know for sure, women can take back their maiden name. What about the first name?

Also, after having the name changed when getting divorced, which name should be used in the application for condition removal: the one in the green card, the new one or both?

Appreciate your feedback on the matter.

Comment

A woman can request that her maiden name be restored upon divorce. A change to a first name might need a legal name change, if it was not the one commonly used prior to marriage.

The A# is the tie in for applications. On form I751 use your legal name at the time the application is being submitted. I can't recall offhand if the form asks for any other names, but if it does, all should be noted.
      The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.

Comment

Thanks, once more, Sappyconifer!

A person(supposedely, a lawyer) told me that I could have my first name changed as well as my last name upon divorce.
        The problem is, though, I did not request that when I filled out the divorce papers.
        I only got to know about that possibility after I had applied for divorce. And I did not want to ammend anything because that would delay even more the divorce case.

I'm considering requesting first name change during the final divorce hearing that's coming soon.
        If the judge denies that, I believe I'll have to wait until my immigration matters are resolved before dealing with name change.
        Whatever the outcomes, even if only the last name is changed, I'll still have to update all my documents and the like.

My question now is: what if I filled out an application for name change and handed it to the judge on the hearind date?
        Does a judge have jurisdiction to make decisions like that and (accept the request during the hearing) OR s he has to follow the "regular" procedures?

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Are you represented by an attorney in the divorce? If so, it might be wise to apprise him first, since there could be issues I am not aware of.

Name change is a legal right, so there shouldn't be any hitch, but one can't tell if a Judge would want to take care of such "adminstrative" issues in the court room. You may simply need to fill out forms and have them notorised.

When an alien applies for naturalisation he/she has the option of asking for names to be changed upon the grant of citizenship with no additional fees. On form N400, Application for Naturalization, Part 1 (d) asks whether the person applying for naturalisation would like to legally change his/her name. During the naturalisation interview, a petition for name change is prepared to be forwarded to a federal court. The applicant certifies that he or she is not seeking a change of name for any unlawful purpose such as the avoidance of debt or evasion of law enforcement. Such a name change becomes final once a federal court naturalises the applicant.
          The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.

Comment

Hi there!
            I'm not represented by any attorney in my divorce. I'm in pro per. That's the reason why I keep asking those questions in this forum.
            Thanks for your help!

Comment

Working...
            X