Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I get work authorization?

Hi all,

I hope someone can help me with some info since I am new here.

I came to the USA with a visa but overstayed it for more then 9 years. I am marrying a Permanent Resident end of this year. My question is once I marry can I apply for work permit? If so, how long do I wait before I can get the work permit? In the meantime, can I have my boss sponsor me to get some work permit or something like that? Pls help me with any info you know. Thank you very much!

Hi all,

I hope someone can help me with some info since I am new here.

I came to the USA with a visa but overstayed it for more then 9 years. I am marrying a Permanent Resident end of this year. My question is once I marry can I apply for work permit? If so, how long do I wait before I can get the work permit? In the meantime, can I have my boss sponsor me to get some work permit or something like that? Pls help me with any info you know. Thank you very much!

Comment

well, if you married a U.S. citizen, you could have applied for a work permit and a travel document at the same time as applying for an immigrant visa and adjustment of status. Since you are going to marry a permanent resident, you cannot apply for an adjustment of status to that of permanent resident until your application for immigrant visa (I-130) is approved. Since there is a quota for the number of immigrant visas for spouses of permanent residents, there will be quite a few years until your I-130 is approved. It will go faster once your spouse becomes a U.S. citizen.
      Your boss cannot sponsor you even for a work visa, since you will not be allowed to change your status. Your only chance of legalization is to get a green card through marriage.

Comment

You cannot obtain a work permit unless marrying a US citizen. I know it must be tough.

If you have a job skill that is scarce in the USA, your employer may be able to sponsor you.

Until then you have hung in 9 yrs, just have to find some more time to hang in. But dont give up

Comment

Thanks for your reply, Lucy and Ron. I really appreciate it.

Yeah, it's been a long time and sometimes it gets depressing and I feel for everyone that doesn't have papers. My bf applied for citizenship and by the time he'll have his citizenship it'll be a few years later. Sigh..

Comment

Working...
          X