need help about marriage!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help about marriage!

Hi everyone. I'm from Turkey and have been in the US for 5 years. I came here with a student visa but couldn't maintain my status in school. Currently I'm not in school and last december my student visa expired along with my passport. Basicly I'm illegal right now! I can not renew my passport because of my school status. I'm getting married soon to my girlfriend(american) whom I've been with for a long time and I would like to know what steps I should take to became legal? How do I change my illegal status to a legal resident status? I'd really appreciate any help. Thank you.

Hi everyone. I'm from Turkey and have been in the US for 5 years. I came here with a student visa but couldn't maintain my status in school. Currently I'm not in school and last december my student visa expired along with my passport. Basicly I'm illegal right now! I can not renew my passport because of my school status. I'm getting married soon to my girlfriend(american) whom I've been with for a long time and I would like to know what steps I should take to became legal? How do I change my illegal status to a legal resident status? I'd really appreciate any help. Thank you.

Comment

You will have to have your girlfriend adjust status for you after you are married.

Comment

Originally posted by ardainia:
        You will have to have your girlfriend adjust status for you after you are married.
        Sorry for my ignorance but how will she do that? If you could give me some detail info I'd certainly appreciate it.

Comment

AFTER YOU ARE MARRIED, SHE WILL FILE THE I-130 FOR YOU, AND WAIT FOR APPROVAL.

Comment

Actually, I think all of these have to be completed: I-130, 2 sets G-325A, I-485, I-765, I-864 & all supporting docs.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/LPRApplication.htm

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-130.htm

Comment

Its seems you are in the clear. You need to make sure you do not travel outside the USA. If you do, you could trigger the Unlawful Presence Bar, since your F visa was not for Duration of status, but rather has expired. 3 year bar after 6 months, 10 year bar after 1 year illegal.

Since your Petitioner is an Immediate Relative, you can "adjust status" (get your green card without leaving country) even though you are out of status. File your I-485 concurrently with the I-130 and all the other docs.

Comment

Here is a link to the instructions on what forms you and your girlfriend will need to fill out once you guys have gotten married. Remember to save "everything" and make copies of everything for your records. Do NOT leave the United States while you are waiting. Be prepared for a long wait. You will have to prove that your marriage is real (ie. you married for love and are really living together as husband and wife.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/LPRApplication.htm
                Have a nice day

Comment

Thank you everyone. I'm glad I found out about this forum. You all have been very helpful. I really appreciate it.

Comment

By the way, do we need a lawyer to handle all these paperwork or can we just do them by ourself?

Comment

I would use a lawyer if at all possible. Also file all the form together, and make sure to request work authorization so you can work while you are waiting to adjust status. Also, as was stated do not leave the country once you have filed. It takes 90 days to get your work authorization, about 2 years to get CPR (conditional permenant resident) and then you may have to remove conditions on your GC) other than that save everything and make sure you do it (leases, insurance, etc) jointly. Best of luck!

Comment

thank you.

Comment

Iyi sanslar Bosphorus,

Senin konumundan evlenerek yesil kart aldim, yardimim dokunabilirse buradayim
                          SEMPER VIPER / Army Strong!

Comment

Dayum, B-Man!

The Turkish language has some looooong words!

I've never heard anyone speak it except for my nickname!
                            Sweet Madame Belu

Comment

Oh yea, never noticed before, really long words...
                              SEMPER VIPER / Army Strong!

Comment

Working...
                              X