married to incarcerated us citizen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• married to incarcerated us citizen

Brief version of my past three years - Came to Us on tourist visa from Hungary in April 2002, met my future husband in Nov same year (still on tourist visa). We got married in June 2003, he applied for my adjustment of status in August (same year) and got arrested for armed robbery in Nov 2003. He's currently serving a 12-year flat bid in a max sec. facility, so he couldn't appear at the interview in May 2005. His petition got denied. Any clue what can be done in a situation like this??????????

Brief version of my past three years - Came to Us on tourist visa from Hungary in April 2002, met my future husband in Nov same year (still on tourist visa). We got married in June 2003, he applied for my adjustment of status in August (same year) and got arrested for armed robbery in Nov 2003. He's currently serving a 12-year flat bid in a max sec. facility, so he couldn't appear at the interview in May 2005. His petition got denied. Any clue what can be done in a situation like this??????????

Comment

Dunno what to tell you, besides that you will probably not be able to adjust status while he is in prison.

Comment

His parents are totally willing to support me financially. I'm not gonna become a financial burden on Uncle Sam. He's been in the system for almost two years now behaves well (no tickets so far). Don't understand how the authorioties can tell me to leave when he's experiencing extreme hardship. The interviewing officer also told me they would treat me differently if he was in hospital or listed in the army. Isn't this discrimination?

Comment

If you haven't learned already, prisoners lose a lot of rights when they're convicted, including their freedom and, in some places, the right to vote.
          Please learn not to be so quick about claiming "discrimination". Many forms of it are perfectly legal--we discriminate for instance, in issuing driver's licenses to the very young and people with certain disabilities. Immigration is not a protected right--he can marry whom he pleases (subject to law), but getting you residency isn't a right.

Comment

I'm aware of the fact that prisoners lose their freedom and right to vote. However i find it cruel and unreasonable that besides his above mentioned privileges he also has to say good-bye to me. He's been punished for his crimes, he's paying for his debts to society righ now. And making a difference between different human beings based on their location is discriminatory...

Comment

How about the victim of the crime? Seems to me you are also being punished by the actions of your husband, but you blame INS for your troubles? Its your husband and the blame needs to be placed squarely where it belongs - on your useless criminal husband. Wise up to the felon and quit allowing yourself to be conned. Divorce him, remarry another American and start over fresh with one of the bajillion Americans who chooses not to be a felon.

Been there, done that, wrote the book

Comment

Julie,
                Must admit you have a point... Cheers!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X