Taxes and sponsorship

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taxes and sponsorship

My husband wants to sponsor me for green card. He is US Citizen, self-employed and has no tax returns. What can we do?
    Someone out there please give us a hint. Thanks!

If your husband has been working but not filing taxes, he's got big troubles with the IRS. His (and your) best bet is to find a good tax attorney before you even try to deal with immigration. [My opinion only--I'm not a lawyer.]

Comment

he needs to start filing all his taxes including back taxes IMMEDIATELY. Later, he can sponsor you.

You need to know that you cannot get any benefit from the govt if u dont file taxes, esp if you have been receiving any form of income.

Comment

Thanks Aliba & John Doe!
        Does my husband have to pay a penalty for not filing taxes. He has his business for 5 years and did not file at all.
        Is there any other route we can go? My parents are also here and they have a greencard. Can they sponsor me too?
        Can I still file a marriage based adjustment of status? I am here 18 years on a visa overstay and got a DUI in Oct. 2004. I lost my driver license and can not get a temporary because I have no SS#. Any suggestions on that? Please help, Iam in a big mess. Thanks!

Comment

you will have a lot ahead of you to get everything sorted out.
          consult an experienced tax-laywer like AliBA suggested. get the tax issue sorted out and then file for marriage based AOS. having your parents sponsor you doesn't make sense. with them only having a green card and you (at least I assume you are) being aged out (over age) it would take forever for you to get a green card and you might even have to leave the country which in turn would trigger the 10-year bar due to overstay.
          As to the consequences of your DUI I would suggest you consult an experienced immigration attorney.

Comment

Thanks Silviamka,
            I heard from an immigration attorney that they cannot remove you if you in the US over 10 years. Is this true?
            I know, it sure does not mean you get a greencard, but the attorney said you are then kind of a "known illegal"?
            How can a DUI affect my greencard chances? Thanks for every reply on this!

Comment

No, that is not true. If you have been here over 10 years, and if you have a U.S. citizen spouse or child, then you can appeal a deportation on the basis of extreme hardship TO THAT U.S. CITIZEN, but there is no guarantee you will win an appeal. [Again, I'm not an attorney.} Do you really want to run the risk, much less pay the attorney bills? Personally, I'd be suspicious of any professional (doctor, lawyer, whoever) who promised you a 100 percent outcome like it sounds your attorney may have.

Comment

Thanks, Aliba,
                No, I want to go with an attorney and have an Interview tomorrow (it' s not the attorney who told me about the 10 years and no removal. I have fired him last week, because it seemed to me that I am more updated on immigration issues than he is... he didn't know a lot of things).
                I cannot go this alone without attorney because my case is really complicated, and some of the lawyers that reviewed it, didn't even want to touch it... so, you can imagine I am very, very scared!
                I am not in Deportation proceedings, and hope I never will be. I entered US legally 18 years ago and I still have the I-94 (Admission to US card), but I do not have a valid passport from my homecountry.
                It expired years back, and for a renewal I would have to leave USA and apply in person in my home Country, or I would have to go to the consulate and show proof of my legal residency, which I don't have. So what do I do?
                Because of the DUI in Oct. 2004, I lost my only picture ID and cannot even get the temporary license granted by court because I do not have a SS#. As you can see I am in a pickle here. Any suggestions? Thanks for every reply!

Comment

As I said before, have your husband clear up his tax situation first. Since you entered legally, he can sponsor you to adjust status.

As far as I am aware (again, I am not a lawyer), if you've aged out (gotten too old or married), your parents cannot sponsor you for a green card. If they were citizens, it would another matter.

What impact the DUI would have on your application would be something to discuss with a good immigration lawyer. But, since you don't have a valid license, I hope you're not driving in the meantime. That could get you into bigger trouble.

Comment

Thanks Aliba, I keep you posted on what the lawyer says tomorrow.

Comment

Talked with Lawyer yesterday.
                      Have to find another one. I am desperate now! Anybody know off a good lawyer in Atlanta area?

Comment

Working...
                      X