family co-sponsor seems reluctant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• family co-sponsor seems reluctant

I need a co-sponsor to bring my Japanese wife to America.

I have asked one of my brothers to be a co-sponsor. They haven't said no but they haven't said yes either.

We've been married for years in Japan and I know this girl is never going to cause anybody any trouble. Still, I understand why a co-sponsor might want to protect themselves.

In a worse case scenerio, what is the worst that a co-sponsor would be liable for?

I need a co-sponsor to bring my Japanese wife to America.

I have asked one of my brothers to be a co-sponsor. They haven't said no but they haven't said yes either.

We've been married for years in Japan and I know this girl is never going to cause anybody any trouble. Still, I understand why a co-sponsor might want to protect themselves.

In a worse case scenerio, what is the worst that a co-sponsor would be liable for?

Comment

cobug,
      A co-sponsor when filing an Affidavit of Support undertakes the responsibility that he/she will be responsible for you that you don't become a public charge in the US so long as you become a US citizen when this responsibility ends.
      There is no reason for your bro to feel hesitant about it,its a formality.Request him again to do it for you and that you and your wife will be responsible for yourself when you arrive in US.
      Good luck.

Comment

Co-sponsor can be anyone, not necessarily family member.

Comment

A sponsor can be held liable to repay the state or government for any applicable means-tested benefits drawn by an immigrant before eligible.
          The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.

Comment

Working...
          X