Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I make it so my 15 year old sister can stay in the US

Hi, I'm originally from Australia but migrated to the US 12 years ago. I have been a US citizen for 6 years now. I live in Oahu, Hawaii.

My sister came to Hawaii 2 months ago on a 6 month tourist visa. She is 15 years old. Initially she was coming to learn how to surf and have a holiday. My parents have since split up and now are moving to two completely separate countries! Needless to say I would like to keep my sister here till the family situations stabilizes, maybe even till she is a legal adult and can make her own decisions. She does not want to go back to Australia and my parents have basically given me guardianship of her.

Is it possible to have her stay without her having to leave the country and go back to an unstable family environment? Is it possibly to adjust her status or maybe even get her a green card because I am a US citizen?

I would greatly appreciate any advice and thank you in advance your consideration of my question.

Sincerely

~ Katie

Hi, I'm originally from Australia but migrated to the US 12 years ago. I have been a US citizen for 6 years now. I live in Oahu, Hawaii.

My sister came to Hawaii 2 months ago on a 6 month tourist visa. She is 15 years old. Initially she was coming to learn how to surf and have a holiday. My parents have since split up and now are moving to two completely separate countries! Needless to say I would like to keep my sister here till the family situations stabilizes, maybe even till she is a legal adult and can make her own decisions. She does not want to go back to Australia and my parents have basically given me guardianship of her.

Is it possible to have her stay without her having to leave the country and go back to an unstable family environment? Is it possibly to adjust her status or maybe even get her a green card because I am a US citizen?

I would greatly appreciate any advice and thank you in advance your consideration of my question.

Sincerely

~ Katie

Comment

Katie,
      you need to talk to immigration lawyer.

Comment

She can marry an older gentleman; I believe some of the Southern States allow marriages if the girl is over 14

Comment

Like Lada suggested, talk to a lawyer. Maybe you can adopt her and be able to file for her as an adopted child b/4 she is 16. Looks like an option. It takes a long time for the priority date for siblings to become current. I believe the waiting period is over 10 years.

Comment

wow wow wow...lets slow down here, and not listen opinions with no backbone and knowledge about the general law.
            Number One - You can not adopt your own sister lol,as funny it may sound to me,it may not to unders.The ONNNNLLLYYYYY time a siblin is being allowed to be adopted takes a process of many many years and lots of proof.Its soo complicated than most thing.
            Especially if both parents are around and healthy,regardless if they are seperated,divorced and what not...won't matter.

To answer your question directly,Your sister has to go back one way or another,the minute she stays here over her 6 months,she will be banned to reneter the United States for many years and will be kicked out.

To have your little sister get married like someone,with no education just reccomended,is out of my mind and totally sick.
            Immigration isn't stupid "okay a little 15 year old girl visits her sis in hawaii,from australia,and somehow end up being in a south-state on the US and marries a HillBilly she doesn't know lol come one guys lets be more realistic here.

I will tell you what the lawyer will say "his first or one of his first questions will be "where are the parents?" and then, do you have legal power,financal power to adopt your own sibling,which is one of the hardest thing to do.Unless all your aother family members like mom and dad and grand parents are alcohlics drug addicts etc etc...even then You have to proof they are and it has to be prooven in the court of law,not in the US in Australia.
            Lets assume for some magical reason you could adopt your own sister...it would take years and years and it would have to be done in australia,with both parents consent.Which I truly doubt.
            Bottom line...the only way you get your sister here is,make sure she is 18 years old,number one.Then you make try to get her in here with a j1 or student visa or something similar,once you have that established and she is here as student or so...its easier.But if she gets here with tourist visa,she is here with the promise and reason to come to the US for no other reason to visit and leave...she can not come here with other intention.Thats how the Immigration law see's it....

Don't waste too much money on a lawyer who will basically tell you what I just said...you just need to do little research.

Remember,even for normal people bringing family members to the US is legal and allowed,but even legally it will take time and years...its a long process

Comment

munciemania - look into getting her student visa (for high school). To do that, you'll need some paper saying you are herlegal guardian. You can start by having a chat with a student advisor in a school she would attend.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aneri:
                munciemania - look into getting her student visa (for high school). To do that, you'll need some paper saying you are herlegal guardian. You can start by having a chat with a student advisor in a school she would attend. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
                IMO, this is the best option. Maybe the only option. Being from OZ, the chance of getting the visa is relatively good.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation