Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taxes and Citizenship

I have my interview for citizenship at the beginning of March. Can someone, please tell me if BCIS will need current taxes for this year or I can use the ones up to last year that I send as part of my application. This is a marriage based application. The letter just states to bring the last 3 years of taxes. By the time I go for the interview, tax filing will still be ongoing and I wonder if BCIS will insist I should have filed already. I do not have my W2s for this year yet. Thanks.

I have my interview for citizenship at the beginning of March. Can someone, please tell me if BCIS will need current taxes for this year or I can use the ones up to last year that I send as part of my application. This is a marriage based application. The letter just states to bring the last 3 years of taxes. By the time I go for the interview, tax filing will still be ongoing and I wonder if BCIS will insist I should have filed already. I do not have my W2s for this year yet. Thanks.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by miki:
      I have my interview for citizenship at the beginning of March. Can someone, please tell me if BCIS will need current taxes for this year or I can use the ones up to last year that I send as part of my application. This is a marriage based application. The letter just states to bring the last 3 years of taxes. By the time I go for the interview, tax filing will still be ongoing and I wonder if BCIS will insist I should have filed already. I do not have my W2s for this year yet. Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
      In the interview, they may ask for your 2006 tax return if it has already been filed, but that would depend on the immigration officer. If you have filed the return, make sure you bring that at the interview.
      "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

Thanks Hudson. Assuming, I have not yet filed, do you think that should be a problem. All the same, I will make sure I file as soon as possible. Thanks.

Comment

Miki,
          no, no worries...when you sent your application.
          Just add an additional note,saying "your current w2 is not available yet and therefore u were not able to file for your tax return as of (the date of day u sent the application)
          And then you could add, that u will submit or bring the tax return of this years when come to the interview.

I see no problem...and u should have your w2 BY law before the 30th of January..so,I am not sure why you think u won;t have your tax return for the interview or your application.
          Why don;t you just wait a few more weeks...

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HBKHBK:

I see no problem...and u should have your w2 BY law before the 30th of January..so,I am not sure why you think u won;t have your tax return for the interview or your application.
            Why don;t you just wait a few more weeks... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some taxpayers have complicated financial matters that preclude submitting a tax return by the typical IRS deadline and as such file for an automatic extension. Receipt of a W2 is not always the only element that permits a tax return to be filed prior to the April 15th deadline.
            The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HBKHBK:
              Miki,
              no, no worries...when you sent your application.
              Just add an additional note,saying "your current w2 is not available yet and therefore u were not able to file for your tax return as of (the date of day u sent the application)
              And then you could add, that u will submit or bring the tax return of this years when come to the interview.

Why don;t you just wait a few more weeks... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
              Technically, W2 should be made available by Jan 31st, not necessarily in the hands of the employee or former employee. However, the official due date of the return is April 15th, which is before the interview date. There should be no worries, but some immigration officers would want the current year return anyway.
              "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by miki:
                Thanks Hudson. Assuming, I have not yet filed, do you think that should be a problem. All the same, I will make sure I file as soon as possible. Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
                It should not be a problem for you because the due date is April 15th, which is after the interview date. If you have not filed, explain to the immigration officer that the due date is April 15th. But if you have a simple return, such as having only W2 and maybe some interest with nothing complicated, you might file the return, just in case.

Comment

Thanks, Hudson and everyone else. I just got my W2 and am waiting for my wife to get hers since she had more than one job. I will make sure I file just in case the officer brings it up. That way if they ask for them I will provide. Otherwise, I am sure the officer should understand that legally I am not obliged to file my taxes until the Apr 15 deadline.
                  Here is my timeline for those interested. I live in Michigan.
                  Oct 15 2006 Initial Application
                  Oct 31 Application send back (I had endorsed back of check)
                  Nov 7 Resend App (Do not sign back of check even though their instructions are confusing and seem to suggest you should)
                  Dec 5 Notice to Appear for Fingerprints on Dec 7. Did not make it. Was in Africa attending family funeral. Came back after 3 weeks
                  Dec 14 Walked in to Application Support Center , explained situation and Fingerprints taken. Very friendly personnel.
                  Jan 16 2007 Citizenship Interview Letter for Detroit, First week of March 2007.
                  Total time Just Under 5 months
                  Thanks all. Have been on this Website, checking for information and help since 2003 when I applied and got my Greencard in December of 2003.
                  Excited to be a citizen in 6 weeks time. I will be back to thank everyone and announce my citizenship. Good luck to all.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation