overstay - leave

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overstay - leave

Hi, I would appreciate it if anyone could answer my simple question.

If someone overstayed in the U.S., and is planning to leave voluntarily, would it be ok just to show up at the airport on the date of departure and come clean when some agent ask him/her questions and follow whatever the agent says?

(This person already knows that he needs to face the ten-year bar, and is NOT trying to escape from it. It is not his concern.

He is just wondering whether he needs to turn himself in somewhere BEFORE his departure, or he can just turn himself in at the airport on the date of his departure.)

Any info would be greatly appreciated, thank you very much.

Hi, I would appreciate it if anyone could answer my simple question.

If someone overstayed in the U.S., and is planning to leave voluntarily, would it be ok just to show up at the airport on the date of departure and come clean when some agent ask him/her questions and follow whatever the agent says?

(This person already knows that he needs to face the ten-year bar, and is NOT trying to escape from it. It is not his concern.

He is just wondering whether he needs to turn himself in somewhere BEFORE his departure, or he can just turn himself in at the airport on the date of his departure.)

Any info would be greatly appreciated, thank you very much.

Comment

Don't try to make a big deal from nothing!
      He is free to go whereever he wants to go, just go and nobody cares about it...

Comment

Danielle is absolutely right, just leave and forget the rest what you said.

Comment

When flyinbg your most intense interrogation is from the airlines. If it is a one-way ticket, than they only need proof that the passenger can enter the country he is traveling to. Most airports do not yet have the exit system in place. I would avoid those airports, though. Being illegally present is a crime, and I wouldn't risk getting detained. Go to a different airport and there will be no ICE officers at the departure.

Comment

Hi Danielle, Freshtaco, thanks for your response. And also Katycab, thanks a lot for the information.

Katycab, I don't know whether my friend's case is "violation of status" or "overstay"... but in either case, could he be still detained, even if he showed willingness to leave (from the airport, with his ticket to his contry in his hand ...)?

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

You know normally he can just leave. But depending on which country he is from then he may face interogation by ICE.

Comment

Thank you, lost in us. He is from Japan and I hope that won't give him a lot of trouble.

Comment

Working...
                X