Sammy, please advise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sammy, please advise

Hello, Sammy. I am addressing this message to you because I've read your detailed and helpful explanations for other people. I really need good advice now and I don't know who to talk to. The situation is as follows: I came to the US in 2000 on a K-2 visa. My mother had married my stepfather, and I filed my I-485 form. Unfortunately, I aged out (we didn't have them expedite the application because we had no idea that aging out was possible). Since the CSPA does not apply to K-2s, I married my b/f who is a USC (we had been dating for 6 months). When we filed I-485, my parents co-signed affidavit of support because we were both students.
    We had our initial interview in February, and later got a letter stating that we need to have additional income or assets and to update the tax information. Everything would be okay since my parents could provide assets, but my husband and I had a fight and I left him. Now, my stepfather doesn't want to update the affidavit of support. But we are still in love and want to be together.
    My question is: If my stepfather does not change his mind, should we withdraw the application or should we go to the interview regardless? Also, I am a senior graduating in December. If we withdraw the application or if they deny it due to insufficient income, could they deport me before December? Or would thet give me 180 days to leave the country?
    I would really appreciate your advice.

Hello, Sammy. I am addressing this message to you because I've read your detailed and helpful explanations for other people. I really need good advice now and I don't know who to talk to. The situation is as follows: I came to the US in 2000 on a K-2 visa. My mother had married my stepfather, and I filed my I-485 form. Unfortunately, I aged out (we didn't have them expedite the application because we had no idea that aging out was possible). Since the CSPA does not apply to K-2s, I married my b/f who is a USC (we had been dating for 6 months). When we filed I-485, my parents co-signed affidavit of support because we were both students.
    We had our initial interview in February, and later got a letter stating that we need to have additional income or assets and to update the tax information. Everything would be okay since my parents could provide assets, but my husband and I had a fight and I left him. Now, my stepfather doesn't want to update the affidavit of support. But we are still in love and want to be together.
    My question is: If my stepfather does not change his mind, should we withdraw the application or should we go to the interview regardless? Also, I am a senior graduating in December. If we withdraw the application or if they deny it due to insufficient income, could they deport me before December? Or would thet give me 180 days to leave the country?
    I would really appreciate your advice.

Comment

CSPA = Child Status Protection Act.

Comment

Yes, I was referring to the Child Status Protection Act.
        I can get back together with my husband, but the problem is that my stepfather does not want to help us anymore because he thinks that I am unhappy in this marriage. I asked my husband if his parents would become co-sponsors, but for some reason he doesn't even want to ask them to. In the meantime, I don't know what to do. I was also wondering if I would het at least 180 days if we withdrew the application or if they denied it.

Comment

JohnDoe, the problem with my mother signing is that she alone does not meet the income requirements. I asked my husband if his parents would sign, but doesn't even want to ask them, which makes me upset with him. I didn't marry him in order to adjust status, I was seeing him before I found out about the aging-out problem. And now he makes me feel like it is only responsibility to find a co-sponsor. I love him, but I am disappointed that he doesn't want to do anything about this situation.

Comment

Well, my stepfather still does not want to help, and my husband doesn't want to ask his parents for help. I don't know if it would be better to go to the interview anyway or if withdrwaing the application would be a better idea.

Comment

REF?

Research Education Foundation
              Real Estate Finance
              Regional Employment Forum
              Real Estate Fund
              Rural Electrification Fund
              Regional Environmental Forum
              RNA Export Factor
              Radiology Education Foundation
              Rubber Elongation Factor
              Russian Elite Forces
              Renewable Energy Foundation
              restriction endonuclease fingerprinting
              Radiation Effects Facility
              Raptor Education Foundation
              Rule Execution Facility
              Rapid Equipping Force
              Referring
              Refugee
              Review of Environmental Factors
              Referee
              Radiant Electric Fire
              Radio-Engineering Faculty
              Rapid Equipment Fielding
              Rapid Equipping Force
              Research Exploration Framework
              Robotech Expeditionary Forces
              Row Echelon Form

It's an RFE. That's all folks!
              The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.

Comment

Hello, Sammy. In case you visit this discussion board, Ijust want to thank you for answering my questions. Unfortunately (or fortunately), I am not the person you are thinking of, I just happened to use this nickname.

Comment

Hi dearest Sammy:

First time I've been on ILW in months. You are not forgotten.
                  Formerly Josephine Schmo

Comment

Working...
                  X