Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help on Marriage Petition

HI:
    I wanted information on how to go about filing under a marriage petition.

First of all, the girl lives in the USA without any status. Is it possible for a US Citizen to get married to her, and what would be proper steps for going about that process.

Please help.

HI:
    I wanted information on how to go about filing under a marriage petition.

First of all, the girl lives in the USA without any status. Is it possible for a US Citizen to get married to her, and what would be proper steps for going about that process.

Please help.

Comment

I wish I knew too. My husband is here in the US with no status and we gor married last year. Everybody says go ahead a file a petition but all the lawyers we asked they said he would get deported back to this country for 10 years. Don't know how true.

Comment

1) As long as the person is otherwise legally free to marry, than yes, you can marry. Immigration status does not affect a persons legal right to marry. (Some people may try to tell you that it does.)
        2) Filing a petition for your spouse probably will not, in and of itself, cause him/her to get deported. If your spouse came on a visa and overstayed, than he/she won't even have to leave the country to get a greencard. If he/she snuck in, than the process is a bit more complicated, but not impossible. My husband of two years is an illegal from Mexico. I married him in Nevada and it did not cause him to get deported. I started the process of getting him a greencard last year.

Renee, if you want to give me a little more info about your husband (what country he's from, how long he's been here, when and how he came, etc.) I might be able to offer some advice.
        Have a nice day

Comment

Did she enter without inspection (sneak over the border)?

Comment

She entered on visitor visa about 5 years ago.

Comment

If she entered legally, and you are married, file I-130, I-485, I-765, I-864, Medical exam. and then exercise patience!

Comment

That is wonderful!! Since she entered legally, she will be able to get a greencard without leaving the country. Do as Cedar Scented says. Remember that if at all possible, she should not leave the country while the process is pending.
                Have a nice day

Comment

Just as a bit of advice to you (and everyone else). Take a few moments and talk to a immigration lawyer (or two) to make sure that what you are planning to do will work. You can EASILY get a few words of advice just by phoning and having a 'free consultation' on the phone. They will usually give you quite a bit of advice. If that is not good enough - pay a good immigration lawyer (get reccomendations or referrals) for an hour or two of consultation time. That will only set you back a couple of hundred bucks and can wind up saving you thousands (and YEARS of grief) if you mess it up...

I wouldn't necessarily hire a lawyer to file the forms, etc - that is very straight forward... But stay within your comfort zone...

So back to the question. At a very high level - if your spouse entered legally but has overstayed - then it is quite straight-forward. File the forms mentioned above... If they came in illegally - watch out and get a good lawyer! It is not impossible but it is a very long uphill battle..

ARQU

Comment

This discussion board is so GREAT!
                    I appreciate your input, and hope I can
                    help someone in their endeavour to obtain
                    residency or citizenship in this country.

thank you all.

Comment

well, JohnDoe, that depends. In Atlanta it takes 3 years to get I-485 approved, so you might as well file a week after the wedding, as soon as you get a marriage certificate... In Oklahoma, it takes 4 months...

Comment

Working...
                      X