Passport and expired status

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passport and expired status

I came to the US on a student visa and am now out of status and my passort has also expired, I need to get a new passport in order to leave the US to visit my sick father (80yrs)...My question is -if I apply for my new passport at the Embassy in the US, are they obligatied to inform the INS? Please help, thanks.

I came to the US on a student visa and am now out of status and my passort has also expired, I need to get a new passport in order to leave the US to visit my sick father (80yrs)...My question is -if I apply for my new passport at the Embassy in the US, are they obligatied to inform the INS? Please help, thanks.

Comment

No the Embassy won't inform the INS. Keep in mind though, it's likely to be difficult for you to return to US.

Comment

You can reapply for your passport at your embassy/consulate. Your embassy is there to protect its citizens, so no they won't report you to the INS.

Remember that you're already out of status. In general, you're given a grace period to leave the country after the visa is expired, but then thereafter, you'r out of status. If you leave the US after a prolonged period you've been out of status, you'll be subjected to whatever 3/10 bar from entering the U.S.

Comment

Working...
        X