•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grizzly
    replied
    Dmartmar,

By things in common USCIS means things like car, house, benefits, taxes, and such. At the time of the interview all I had was joint tax return, medical and dental benefits, life insurance, bank accounts. Now I have credit cards, cell phone, soon (about two months or so) a house, I am adding her to the deed of the timeshare, I am trying to pay out the car so I can add her to the car title (for some reasons the bank which financed my car can not add her now), car insurance, checkbook, utility bills come under both of our names, etc.

Leave a comment:

• timmy_d11
    replied
    I gotta tell you - I had a nightmare getting them to get around to finally approve my wife.

I will tell you what I did which eventually worked and got her green card.

1) Luckily for me they did not do infopass appointments where I had my interview - so I was able to just pop in once a month and they more or less had to see me and feed me some kind of information every time - I made a polite nuisance of myself and was a thorn in their sides like clockwork - I went once a month to get after them and explain everything over and over and over again.

2) I wrote a VERY lengthy and detailed letter to both of my senators and I know for fact that at least one looked into the case - I don't know how much pull and leverage they have when USCIS is wrong or slow...but I imagine it's quite a bit.

So, in the end, I don't know if it was the senator lighting a fire under their rear ends, they knew they made a mistake and had to fix it soon, OR if they just got sick of seeing my face after a while.

I also pleaded to their conscience in my inquiries, stating that my wife has an 11 year old daughter that she hasn't seen in 4 years in Colombia who is growing up without her and may not recognize her when she sees her next, AND that her mother, who she hasn't seen in just as long is quite sick and I would hate if something happened to her before they straightened us out and she could finally go home to visit.

Leave a comment:

• dmartmar
    replied
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The advantages were that we were from the same country and age group and the disadvantage was that we did not have much in common. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How can you not have much in common when/if you're both from the same country and age group?

Leave a comment:

• grizzly
    replied
    My wife and I decided to consult a lawyer about our case. Can a lawyer do anything more to find out information or speed things up a little after the case has been filed? What kind of power does a lawyer have after a case has been filed? Any power or will the lawyer be in our situation... just sit back and wait? We are meeting with a lawyer on the 23rd of this month. About March 28/29 we are planning to schedule the InfoPass appointment. I will keep you all posted on how things turn out.

Leave a comment:

• grizzly
    replied
    One thing I forgot to mention is that I am a US citizen through naturalization and not a natural born citizen.

Leave a comment:

• grizzly
    replied
    I am the US citizen and the petitioner. My wife is the beneficiary.

Leave a comment:

• ntfd3
    replied
    which one of u is the USC?

Leave a comment:

• grizzly
    replied
    I do not believe nationality has much to do with it because if you can a bonfide marriage you should be fine. The reason I mentioned that we are from the same country and age group is because at the interview we were told that we have advantages and disadvantages. The advantages were that we were from the same country and age group and the disadvantage was that we did not have much in common. However, the officer also mentioned that we wouldn't have much in common since we just got married about 8 months before the interview. However, at this point we have many more things is common. We are also getting ready to transfer a house under my and my wifes name and move into the house that we have been building. A house should boost the fact that the marriage is bonafide

Leave a comment:

• ntfd3
    replied
    Can I please throw this out into the crowd...... does it really matter what nationality u are when applying for AOS thru marriage? I am really curious at peoples thoughts.

Leave a comment:

• grizzly
    replied
    Can anymore suggestions be offered? This is starting to try my patience. We are reaching a state of frustration but trying to hang in there. We will let you all know what happens at our InfoPass appointment. As probably already stated we will schedule an appointment at the end of March.

Leave a comment:

• amarles
    replied
    grizzly,

I meant AOS process, and it has been 21 months since our interview and noone has any information, case is pending, Infopass is no info at all.
    When i call USCIS 800 number they tell me I should have gotten my GC already and then I go for Infopass with this information and at my local office they just say no info, wait. So, the process is not going as we thought it would be. Oh, I got my second biometrics 2 mo ago although i never got an appt. to do so, I just went to local office to pick up some forms and i just asked about it, and they did it same time.
    really frustrated at this point.

Leave a comment:

• grizzly
    replied
    nftd3... as stated in my original post all the papers were filed. The papers were filed at least three months before her permission to stay in the USA expired. I believe it is a requirement that paperwork is filed before the stay expires so you will not be considered as overstaying.

amarles... you say you applied for naturalization... did you go through the AOS (Adjustment of Status) process or do you mean AOS by saying naturalization. Please note that I am thinking of naturalization as applying to become a US citizen and AOS as applying to become permanent resident in my case. If you went through the AOS process how did that go? Please clarify.

Thank you once more for all your responses.

Leave a comment:

• amarles
    replied
    grizzly,
    I came as visitor in 1993, went to high school etc., got married in 1996 but didn't apply then for naturalization, remarried in 2003 is when I applied.

Leave a comment:

• grizzly
    replied
    amarles... how did you come to the US? Did you enter on a visitor visa, got married copule of months later and then field for AOS?

Leave a comment:

• amarles
    replied
    HBKHBK,
    thanks for your response.
    here is what I meant by MEAN: the officers asked as (my husband, who is a citizen and my sponsor, and I) in. We did not have a lawyer with us, we collected all the evidence such as bills and photographs, we simply followed the instructions. the interview did not take more than 5 min. The officer was writing notes and asked questions at the same time, I started answering since the first few questions such as using anytime financial aid were directed to me. then next question she asked I started answering all of a sudden she lifted her head looked and said:"I talk to him, not to you." I was stunned, and of course we should have asked for supervisor but she asked us out, on the way out in the hallway I asked if this is it or do we have another interview, she said yes, wait for mail, thank you. We left stunned. Since then we did 100 appointments for Infopass. It will be 2 years soon.
    And I know we should have been smarter, but who would anticipate something like that?

Leave a comment:

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation