Conditional Green Card

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Honey:
    By circumventing immigration law you just made things a bit more complicated. Your spouse should not enter on B1 visa and marry you; if she had entered on fiance or immigrations visa, things could have been easier.
    But she is here legally so it seems to me that you have just to wait a bit. Did you file I-765 and I-131 too? So she could work and travel? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

By circumventing immigration law? How? There is nothing in the OPs post that indicates that marriage and remaining in the USA to adjust was planned prior to the entry on the tourist visa.
    The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.

Comment

Sure, I know - I just ment to state that in this case the whole process takes longer, that is all. And also what I was told by others here ... how USCIS sometimes look at those marriages.
      Of course even if somebody comes here on tourist visa with intention to marry, there is only one advice: "deny it, deny it, deny it" :-)
      さん,がんばれ!

Comment

Lets be realistic here...you do not be a Brain Surgeon to realize the the marriage was planned out when someone gets here on a tourist visa and few weeks later gets married....

NO PH.D needed to know the entery into the US was just a way to get inside and to get married.

To me "DENY" is the right way...cause that shows people,getting married to a US citizen is not automatically a secure way to say "I am married,you can not kick me out or deny me"
        If you came to the US uder false reasons as claiming "i am here for vacation and leaving in 4 weeks and getting married after 5 weeks...
        my friend you skinny butt needs to be sent home.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HBKHBK:
          Lets be realistic here...you do not be a Brain Surgeon to realize the the marriage was planned out when someone gets here on a tourist visa and few weeks later gets married....

NO PH.D needed to know the entery into the US was just a way to get inside and to get married.

To me "DENY" is the right way...cause that shows people,getting married to a US citizen is not automatically a secure way to say "I am married,you can not kick me out or deny me"
          If you came to the US uder false reasons as claiming "i am here for vacation and leaving in 4 weeks and getting married after 5 weeks...
          my friend you skinny butt needs to be sent home. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Silly response. The OP called USCIS before marrying and was given options. Naturally, not all customer service operators are well advised, but if the OP were intent on misusing the tourist visa, I'd suspect contacting USCIS prior to marrying would be the last thing done.
          The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.

Comment

Thank you all for your responses. Can someone clarify to me what OP stands for? Any more advice/suggestions will be appreciate it.

The option chosen by us as stated by USCIS as being an otion, is completely legal and no law was broken. However, I do agree that the law will be applied harder in this case. The I-765 was filed. The I-131 was not filed since we are not planning to travel while her case is pending. When it comes to immigration and the case pending, I think the best advice before any traveling is done would be to just wait patiently.

iperson... how do I IM you?

Comment

Sappy, my friend....

Fact is thought and Grizzly you should have known or double checked that with an attorney,IS - everyone knows that alot of the time the Immigration Officer you call on a 1-800 number either can be an *** or give wrong information or miss leading information.
              My friends...they are known for that.And any experienced attorney will tell you, never ask an immigration officer for advice,NEVER....

PS: and a honest and desent officer would only advice,the come here with a finace visa.Period.

Comment

You are telling me. Unfortunately I had to find that out the hard way. However, I do have other documentation that shows that what I did is legal. The document is from the USCIS website and it was what I based my documents on. Everyday you learn something new in dealing with immigration, but like it has been said, do not take the advice from a USCIS officer on the phone as being the written word... make sure to pay special attention to instructions on USCIS forms since they will be your best defense in explaining why you did what you did.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by grizzly:
                  Thank you all for your responses. Can someone clarify to me what OP stands for? Any more advice/suggestions will be appreciate it.

The option chosen by us as stated by USCIS as being an otion, is completely legal and no law was broken. However, I do agree that the law will be applied harder in this case. The I-765 was filed. The I-131 was not filed since we are not planning to travel while her case is pending. When it comes to immigration and the case pending, I think the best advice before any traveling is done would be to just wait patiently.

iperson... how do I IM you? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OP = Original Post(er)
                  To IM go to the Go tab on the top of the page _&gt; Personal Zone-&gt; Instant Message -&gt; Create thread, and invite Iperson.

HBKHBK,

What sort of data are you referring to when you say that an individual should not listen to an Immigration Officer. IOs are trained in the application of the regulations. Now if you are referring to the customer service operators on the 1-800-misinformation line, then I'd tend to agree that it is wise to double-check their information as they are only a contract service operation.

Nonetheless, grizzly, as far as I can see has NOT committed any infraction of the Immigration Laws by marrying and attempting to adjust status here in the USA. Had he discussed this plan with USCIS or on a newsgroup prior to his current alien wife's entry to the USA on her last tourist visit, then I might be inclined to agree with you.

HBKHBK you're angling for grizzly to admit prior immigrant intent. I don't see that being a foregone conclusion. Perhaps I am wrong, nevertheless, it bears repeating that the matter of intent would be for USCIS to pose at the adjustment of status phase and by showing evidence that the wife had tidied up all outstanding affairs in the European country prior to her arrival in anticipation of her permanent stay.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Lets be realistic here...you do not be a Brain Surgeon to realize the the marriage was planned out when someone gets here on a tourist visa and few weeks later gets married....

NO PH.D needed to know the entery into the US was just a way to get inside and to get married. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We were given the following three: get married in my and her home country, fiance visa, or get married here.

She entered on a B-1 visa.

The option chosen by us as stated by USCIS as being an otion, is completely legal and no law was broken.

However, I do have other documentation that shows that what I did is legal. The document is from the USCIS website and it was what I based my documents on.... make sure to pay special attention to instructions on USCIS forms since they will be your best defense in explaining why you did what you did. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You were given the right info., but either "misunderstood" or "misinterpreted" it in your own special way. Read it once again: "...get married in my and her home country, fiance visa, or get married here."

The only two words connecting "get married in my and her home country" and "get married here" are "Fiance Visa."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Finally, where I am from we are not into all this marriage arrangements and marrying someone who you did not even meet... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So you did know and have known her for a while.

Comment

My wife came here to visit her family. Her mom's cousin leaves about 15 minutes from our house and we have been family friends for more than 20 years or so. We go to the same church. Dmartar, I see your point in a way, but the type of visa has nothing to do with it. She came on a B1 visa, but she does have all the rights to adjust status. However, as I stated before, I do agree that the law will be applied harder on the path that I took. Right now we applied for a renewal of the EAD.

I would like to say thank you to all for your advice, and I will keep you posted. Please continue to provide advice and similar situations. Around April time frame we are planning to schedule a InfoPass appointment with an immigration officer to find out what is going on if we do not receive any response by that time.

Comment

On piece of advice - due verify immigration information you get on the phone twice. There was once when I called immigration and then 5 minutes later the same day I called them again. Of course I talked to two different people, but the same question. Ineteresting thing is that I got to different answers.

That was just a side note. My question now is... What is the impact of a speeding ticket on the AOS process?

Comment

In clear language -
                          INS and Homeland Security (same thing now)

Do not give a S.H.I.T. about a speeding ticket.
                          Unless you apply to be a driver for INS officials lol.

Comment

I can verify what is said here about unreliability of government workers--half of them don't know their jobs and make arbitrary decisions that affect people's lives in negative ways. I've experienced this over the years in dealing with them.

Comment

iperson,

iam not the German girl you have corresponded but I also wait and wait and wait. We went for an interview almost 2 yrs ago and still nothing, the officer was the meanest and I mean the meanest person ever. at this point we are thinking of writing to senator or whoever we need to. Infopass is just a waste of the time.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My wife came here to visit her family. Her mom's cousin leaves about 15 minutes from our house and we have been family friends for more than 20 years or so. We go to the same church. Dmartmar, I do see your point in a way, but the type of visa has nothing to do with it. She came on a B1 visa, but she does have all the rights to adjust status. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You said it yourself:"My wife came here to visit her family."

Stop and think for a second:

1. You call the USCIS to ask them where, when and how to best marry your now current wife, alerting them ahead of time of your intentions. Them being a "Federal Gov't Agency," of course they log in your call and save the nature of it.

2. The USCIS advises you to either get married in Germany or here in the US using a Fiance Visa (K1/K3) only to bring her over, NOT a Tourist Visa (B1/B2).

3. Your now wife goes to the Embassy, lies by saying she's coming to visit her family only (with no mention of your name, nor the word "marriage"), gets approved and once here she marries you.

4. You then call the USCIS, tell them about marrying your now wife on her Tourist Visa and ask why your case is taking so long. All they do is refer back to point number 1 (above). Duh!

Do citizens of other countries have rights to anything while visiting Germany as tourists?

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation