Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too many to handle - please help!

Hi there,

I went to a filipino Christmas gathering and a couple filipinas confided to me their immigration situation. I told them to come and visit this site but they don't have computer access. I promised I will do my best to get the information they need so here I am...

1st Case: Margie came to United States in 1991 with his 7 year old son. Her boyfriend who petitioned them didn't show up in the airport. She asked her friend to help her and she ended up staying in Oh with her son. She met an american and got married but he physically abused him and ended up divorced in just 3 months. She was introduced to another American in 1992 and they got married. He died of heart attack after 11 years of being married. They have 2 children ( 15 and 13 yrs. old) She didn't do anything with her immigration papers and was scared they might asked her to leave the country. After her husband died, she went to seek a lawyer's help. She paid $5000 and promised her they will help her get a green card. When she cameback to make a follow up, they're asking for another $900+ for the greencard once again. Since she doesn't have anymore money to pay them, she decided she'll just stay as much as she could in the u.s. until they deport her. The two kids are U.S. citizens being born here but the 7 year old who is now 24 years old is staying here illegally. She didn't get any money from her husband's death since they were asking for her sss and other documents. I really want to help her as she's being ripped off everytime she ask help from other people. What advice can you give her? I will print this out and give it to her so she'll know she's not alone in this situation.

2nd Case: Joyce came to this country 9 years ago with a multiple entry/10 year tourist visa. She met a guy and got married. She's still in conditional status up to now and she would like to travel. What does she need to do? Can she still use her multiple entry? Her greencard has been expired for 3 years and according to her when she made a follow up in the immigration, she felt like she was being interrogated as the immigration officer told her somebody called and told them she was using another person's name. She thought maybe somebody was just trying to ruin and delay her immigration papers but she is very much scared and worried to go again at the immigration office and ask them to stamp her passport so she could leave and comeback. What do you think she has to do?

3rd Case: Vivian arrived last year with a fiance' visa. They got married, found a job right a way. Her husband is living with his father so she ended up living with these guys. They demanded her to pay for utility bills and her husband won't let her sleep in the bed but in the couch. When they go out to watch a movie or eat, they - (father and son) will ask her to pay for it. She wanted to leave him but she's afraid she will be deported.

See... I told you it's too much for me to handle these problems from my filipino friends. I will print out all your answers and show it to them. I will appreciate your help. Thank you so much and God bless you all!!!!
    You are a gift to the world, a divine work of art, signed by God.

Hi there,

I went to a filipino Christmas gathering and a couple filipinas confided to me their immigration situation. I told them to come and visit this site but they don't have computer access. I promised I will do my best to get the information they need so here I am...

1st Case: Margie came to United States in 1991 with his 7 year old son. Her boyfriend who petitioned them didn't show up in the airport. She asked her friend to help her and she ended up staying in Oh with her son. She met an american and got married but he physically abused him and ended up divorced in just 3 months. She was introduced to another American in 1992 and they got married. He died of heart attack after 11 years of being married. They have 2 children ( 15 and 13 yrs. old) She didn't do anything with her immigration papers and was scared they might asked her to leave the country. After her husband died, she went to seek a lawyer's help. She paid $5000 and promised her they will help her get a green card. When she cameback to make a follow up, they're asking for another $900+ for the greencard once again. Since she doesn't have anymore money to pay them, she decided she'll just stay as much as she could in the u.s. until they deport her. The two kids are U.S. citizens being born here but the 7 year old who is now 24 years old is staying here illegally. She didn't get any money from her husband's death since they were asking for her sss and other documents. I really want to help her as she's being ripped off everytime she ask help from other people. What advice can you give her? I will print this out and give it to her so she'll know she's not alone in this situation.

2nd Case: Joyce came to this country 9 years ago with a multiple entry/10 year tourist visa. She met a guy and got married. She's still in conditional status up to now and she would like to travel. What does she need to do? Can she still use her multiple entry? Her greencard has been expired for 3 years and according to her when she made a follow up in the immigration, she felt like she was being interrogated as the immigration officer told her somebody called and told them she was using another person's name. She thought maybe somebody was just trying to ruin and delay her immigration papers but she is very much scared and worried to go again at the immigration office and ask them to stamp her passport so she could leave and comeback. What do you think she has to do?

3rd Case: Vivian arrived last year with a fiance' visa. They got married, found a job right a way. Her husband is living with his father so she ended up living with these guys. They demanded her to pay for utility bills and her husband won't let her sleep in the bed but in the couch. When they go out to watch a movie or eat, they - (father and son) will ask her to pay for it. She wanted to leave him but she's afraid she will be deported.

See... I told you it's too much for me to handle these problems from my filipino friends. I will print out all your answers and show it to them. I will appreciate your help. Thank you so much and God bless you all!!!!
    You are a gift to the world, a divine work of art, signed by God.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The last one needs a marriage counsler not immigration assistance. Perhaps she was expecting the queen's treatment. As you probably know most women have to work and pitch in financially. Asking her to help out with the family expences is part of life. From what you wrote with the son living with his dad they aren't doing that well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It sounds like in this situation, the lady is being treated like a slave. It doesn't sound like she's expecting to be treated like a queen. If she is expected to help out financially, shouldn't she at least be allowed to sleep in a bed rather than on the couch? Her husband didn't want a wife. He wanted another source of income.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And don't women usually marry a guy who makes more than they do? Does that mean the man is the equivalent financial slave? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not in this day and time - it's 2008! (I guess someone should have told me the rules - lol!!!)

Comment

the first two are visa cheats...pure and simple....'she fell in love'...again and again and again,...which meant she lied to our embassy officials and border officials about the true nature of her so-called 'visit' -- I have no sympathy for either of these visa cheats....my solution: go back to the Philippines AS YOU PROMISED...if you don't understand this basic principle, you don't belong in America...it's called honesty and ethics....

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Where are you at ProudUSC that women don't have that attitude? Women don't try to marry up the financial food chain? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"East coast girls are hip, I really dig those styles they wear" . . . lol - let's just say not far from the Nation's Capital!

Comment

I cannot understand why any of these single women were given tourist visas....I imagine the 'overstay' or 'non-return' rate must be something like 103%....they could only be going to AMerica to find their 'true love' no matter many times (men) it takes....sorry, but I say both are visa cheats....neither had the intention of returning to their country, and so, the only help I would give either of them is a ride to the nearest international airport..

Comment

I agree with Someone12. I'm always amazed that an individual thinks nothing of abandoning everything - oftentimes including their children - and coming to America...and yet after a few months here think that we're being inhumane when we expect them to return to their country of origin. How is it that they can move here at a moment's notice, yet can't return home at a moment's notice...especially given that their roots are way more entrenched overseas?

This all the more galling when one constantly hears how apparently wonderful are the countries of origin, and how wonderful the culture is and how much they miss it...and how we couldn't possibly expect that they might assimilate to America and its culture...and how dare we actually expect that they speak English.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by isabelle07:
                  Hi there,

1st Case: Margie came to United States in 1991 with his 7 year old son. Her boyfriend who petitioned them didn't show up in the airport. She asked her friend to help her and she ended up staying in Oh with her son. She met an american and got married but he physically abused him and ended up divorced in just 3 months. She was introduced to another American in 1992 and they got married. He died of heart attack after 11 years of being married. They have 2 children ( 15 and 13 yrs. old) She didn't do anything with her immigration papers and was scared they might asked her to leave the country. After her husband died, she went to seek a lawyer's help. She paid $5000 and promised her they will help her get a green card. When she cameback to make a follow up, they're asking for another $900+ for the greencard once again. Since she doesn't have anymore money to pay them, she decided she'll just stay as much as she could in the u.s. until they deport her. The two kids are U.S. citizens being born here but the 7 year old who is now 24 years old is staying here illegally. She didn't get any money from her husband's death since they were asking for her sss and other documents. I really want to help her as she's being ripped off everytime she ask help from other people. What advice can you give her? I will print this out and give it to her so she'll know she's not alone in this situation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
                  She can apply for an ITIN, Form W-7 so that the inheritance can be sent to her. So, it could hlep her in this difficult time. Sedond, she either needs to file I-360 as a widow fo USC husband. This could allow her to stay and have her 24 y.o. son obtain legal residency. My question is why did the husband who died of a heart attack not file the adjustment of status paperwork?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">2nd Case: Joyce came to this country 9 years ago with a multiple entry/10 year tourist visa. She met a guy and got married. She's still in conditional status up to now and she would like to travel. What does she need to do? Can she still use her multiple entry? Her greencard has been expired for 3 years and according to her when she made a follow up in the immigration, she felt like she was being interrogated as the immigration officer told her somebody called and told them she was using another person's name. She thought maybe somebody was just trying to ruin and delay her immigration papers but she is very much scared and worried to go again at the immigration office and ask them to stamp her passport so she could leave and comeback. What do you think she has to do? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
                  Needs to refile for adjustment of status. Cannot remove conditions. If she travels outside the US, ban would be implemented since she is out of status. If she goes again, bring either a USc friend or attorney or other legal representative.
                  "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

Hi Isabelle07,

I'm sure these ladies are appreciating the help you're giving them. I strongly agree with the members here that they would need legal help because of their situation (Margie and Joyce), please tell them to avail of that remedy.

As for the last one, I'm not sure if she was complaining because she feels that they are making her work without them helping her (sort of blackmailing her to give them money so that she can legally stay here in the US), OR if she's having a culture shock because she's made to pay when they eat out (which I can understand - it is not common in the Phil. culture that women pay when they are on dates). Dutch treat is not the way to when trying to woo someone, at least, in the Phil. Of course, it's a different thing when the couple is already married - both try to contribute tp the family expenses in proportion to their income.

For Sun and S12, I can totally understand your sentiments regarding people who try to circumvent laws just to get to the USA. It's totally unacceptable, not just in the USA but in every country. I do give these ladies the benefit of the doubt (based on the principle that every person is considered "innocent until proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt.") No doubt there are people from the Phil. who didn't follow the law in going here, and that's the reason why the US embassy in Manila is so strict. I know though that the Filipinos are the second largest group of legal migrants to the US.
                    Do all the good you can, in all the ways you can, as long as ever you can.

--John Wesley

Comment

I do not give either of these visa cheats the benefit of any doubt....how can either one look somebody in the eye and claim that they had every intention of returning to the Philippines after a short visit? No, they dropped whatever they were doing (working as a bar 'hostess' most likely) and came here with the express purpose of finding some dodo to marry....they lied to just about everyone in the process and I don't like liars and visa cheats....period. These visa cheats will be the first to ask 'forgiveness' while claiming their actions were not planned (yet both of these cheats quit their jobs 3 seconds after getting their visas, assuming they (a) had jobs and (b) didn't present fraudulent documents during their interview, the one with the brat probably had him in public school at our expense ten minutes after baggage claim....sorry, the only doubt I have is why these two were allowed to enter the US...

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hudson:
                        <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by isabelle07:
                        Hi there,

1st Case: Margie came to United States in 1991 with his 7 year old son. Her boyfriend who petitioned them didn't show up in the airport. She asked her friend to help her and she ended up staying in Oh with her son. She met an american and got married but he physically abused him and ended up divorced in just 3 months. She was introduced to another American in 1992 and they got married. He died of heart attack after 11 years of being married. They have 2 children ( 15 and 13 yrs. old) She didn't do anything with her immigration papers and was scared they might asked her to leave the country. After her husband died, she went to seek a lawyer's help. She paid $5000 and promised her they will help her get a green card. When she cameback to make a follow up, they're asking for another $900+ for the greencard once again. Since she doesn't have anymore money to pay them, she decided she'll just stay as much as she could in the u.s. until they deport her. The two kids are U.S. citizens being born here but the 7 year old who is now 24 years old is staying here illegally. She didn't get any money from her husband's death since they were asking for her sss and other documents. I really want to help her as she's being ripped off everytime she ask help from other people. What advice can you give her? I will print this out and give it to her so she'll know she's not alone in this situation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
                        She can apply for an ITIN, Form W-7 so that the inheritance can be sent to her. So, it could hlep her in this difficult time. Sedond, she either needs to file I-360 as a widow fo USC husband. This could allow her to stay and have her 24 y.o. son obtain legal residency. My question is why did the husband who died of a heart attack not file the adjustment of status paperwork?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">2nd Case: Joyce came to this country 9 years ago with a multiple entry/10 year tourist visa. She met a guy and got married. She's still in conditional status up to now and she would like to travel. What does she need to do? Can she still use her multiple entry? Her greencard has been expired for 3 years and according to her when she made a follow up in the immigration, she felt like she was being interrogated as the immigration officer told her somebody called and told them she was using another person's name. She thought maybe somebody was just trying to ruin and delay her immigration papers but she is very much scared and worried to go again at the immigration office and ask them to stamp her passport so she could leave and comeback. What do you think she has to do? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
                        Needs to refile for adjustment of status. Cannot remove conditions. If she travels outside the US, ban would be implemented since she is out of status. If she goes again, bring either a USc friend or attorney or other legal representative. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The first one came on a K1 and can not adjust in the US, she as no basis for doing so.

She can be sponsored by her US Children but wll need to leave and serve her 10 year ban.

Assuming everything has been recounted correctly.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Theone:
                          The first one came on a K1 and can not adjust in the US, she as no basis for doing so.

She can be sponsored by her US Children but wll need to leave and serve her 10 year ban.

Assuming everything has been recounted correctly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
                          Yes, it appears first one came on K-1; however, can still adjust status as special immigrant because of the alleged battered spouse, which may also account why USC never filed the AOS to begin with. Second, it is only through another K-1, not K-3, where rule applies.
                          "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

Working...
                          X