VAWA filed, need help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VAWA filed, need help

I filed a VAWA petition based on my marriage to an abusive USC citizen husband. Entered the country legally. After paid a consultation with an immigration lawyer and talked to 2 other lawyers, I just filed the papers by myself after I've made a lot of research. The attorneys asked a retainer of 5000 and told me the fees can exceed that. No physical abuse, but verbal, psychological, emotional and financial were presernt. Have police report and affidavits from people I know. My husband has an extensive criminal records, which he told me about after we were married. As for me, no criminal records nor overstay since I entered the country almost 7 years ago. I got my prima facie determination very quick (just 10 days after filing). Since this petition is based on mental cruelty, most what I've heard, I need a pschological evaluation. I've contacted many pschologists in my neighborhood and no one knows about VAWA. Can someone suggest how to get in touch with a psychologist familiar with VAWA? I am in NYC.
    Thank you

I filed a VAWA petition based on my marriage to an abusive USC citizen husband. Entered the country legally. After paid a consultation with an immigration lawyer and talked to 2 other lawyers, I just filed the papers by myself after I've made a lot of research. The attorneys asked a retainer of 5000 and told me the fees can exceed that. No physical abuse, but verbal, psychological, emotional and financial were presernt. Have police report and affidavits from people I know. My husband has an extensive criminal records, which he told me about after we were married. As for me, no criminal records nor overstay since I entered the country almost 7 years ago. I got my prima facie determination very quick (just 10 days after filing). Since this petition is based on mental cruelty, most what I've heard, I need a pschological evaluation. I've contacted many pschologists in my neighborhood and no one knows about VAWA. Can someone suggest how to get in touch with a psychologist familiar with VAWA? I am in NYC.
    Thank you

Comment

Do you have a case manager or advocate assigned through the Family Justice Center in New York? If so, they should be able to help you find a psychologist in your area who is knowledgeable regarding VAWA. Good luck.

Comment

Are u from one of those countries like russia, phillipines etc?

Comment

No I don't. Lke I said I did everything by myself. What's the Family Justice Center in New York?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ProudUSC:
          Do you have a case manager or advocate assigned through the Family Justice Center in New York? If so, they should be able to help you find a psychologist in your area who is knowledgeable regarding VAWA. Good luck. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

No I am not. I am from a wealthy Western European country. So forget about your stereotype VAWA scammer.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bluebrightsky:
            Are u from one of those countries like russia, phillipines etc? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

If you're stupid for not understanding what I wrote, it's your problem. I said I entered this country 7 years ago. Police report for threatening to kill me. And this is a crime for your information. Financial abuse by stealing MY money from our joint account and my savings account that was linked to. Also I have to pay for rent and everything else because he has a gambling addiction. Even he opened a credit card with my name and social without my permission and used it. His credit is already ruined. I had to close the joint account, the savings and credit card after he ruined me. THAT'S THE FINANCIAL ABUSE. I've read many posts of yourself and the likes women's haters, so spare me your remarks. I am not your typical woman who would marry someone for green card and scam the system. Many peope would only dream to live in my country. And I answer in advance your question, why I won't go back? Simply I have a USC born child and his USC father would never let me leave the US with him and I will never leave without my son.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by davdah:
              It took her 7 yrs to figure out it was abuse? After being told he has a criminal back ground she stayed? Has police reports but no physical abuse. Odd, I thought those were only done when things get violent. What is financial abuse? That is a new one. Is that when the husband cuts up the credit card card? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

You may be at best from one of those eastern europian ountry.

Comment

I can very easily tell who is genuine and who is not.

Ans because of people like you who scam the system the real people or victim don't get the attention.

I should consider you one of those virus people in the computer file system because of whom lot of good files get affected.

Comment

hello Ocean

Just curious. you have been here 7 years and do not have an overstay?

When did you marry this man and why were papers never filed 4u? did he refuse to file papers for greencard?

Comment

Well, if you can smell easily a scam, you're dead wrong. INTELLIGENCE IS NOT YOUR STRENGTH. Worst, you overestimate yourself. And you're ridiculous. Why should I lie in this forum about where I am from? GET A LIFE BIRD BRAIN! I will no longer answer any of your posts. I can't stand stupid people like yourself. You don't even deserve I argue with you. You're not in my level.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bluebrightsky:
                      I can very easily tell who is genuine and who is not.

Ans because of people like you who scam the system the real people or victim don't get the attention.

I should consider you one of those virus people in the computer file system because of whom lot of good files get affected. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

I know there are many frauds. But some are genuine and still you consider a fraud without knowing the facts. I think for you every VAWA is a fraud.
                        Well money in the marriage is supposed to be common. But he keeps all his money and go gamble it while I use my money to pay for rent and the rest. And he makes good money, but since he's an addicted gambler, he doesn't contribute. He prefers to make bets of 5000 to 10 000 and put nothing for couple's expenses. If you think this is not financial abuse. By the way, I've heard this the first time from a domestic violence professional when I told her my story. Further, he took MY money from my savings I've had before got married to him.
                        I am here looking for others' opinions, why I would lie? I don't even know you and don't have any expectation from you. To me, it doesn't make sens for someone to lie in a forum if he's looking genuily for help or advise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by davdah:
                        You got me wrong Ocean. I'm not a women hater. Only a hater of fraud. The thing about vawa is in most cases it is abused and fraudulant.

Technically if he did those things while married it really isn't fraud or theft since all things are joint. Meaning an undivided equal interest unless you had a prenupt. If you were the wealthier one of the two then welcome to the unfairness of community property. The law that gives equal access to your money just because they sat in your house and picked their nose. What a country!

About the child, your right, the. Gov will not allow a USC to be removed without both parents consent. If your telling the truth I apologize if what I said came off badly. If what you say is true I hope it works out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

Never overstayed because I had a valid visa. Many people can be legal on F1, H1B, tourist visa before marrying a USC citizen. We applied for the papers after we got married. Even we had the AOS interview and it went fine, but pending security checks everytime I went to Federal Plaza to check the status. Just things got worse with my husband and the love I had for him to support his verbal, pschological, emotional and financial abuse has disappeared. I stayed with him all these years because I loved him so much. Now I can't stand him anymore. He didn't withdraw his petition as sponsoring me. I will file for divorce shortly and move on with my life.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 4now:
                          hello Ocean

Just curious. you have been here 7 years and do not have an overstay?

When did you marry this man and why were papers never filed 4u? did he refuse to file papers for greencard? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

so how long have you been in pending name check background check then? and how long have you been married and when was aos interview?

and your last infopass appt was when in reference to your card?

It doenst have to be a psychologist familiar with VAWA to do your evaluation. Your evaluation will stand on its own. If you have suffered mental abuse you should have on going help seeing a therapist to further strengthen your case.

Comment

Ocean:
                              Before you dismiss me as a woman hater, my soon to be ex is from a "wealthy north American country". Rather than spousal abuse (VAWA) she chose child abuse. My knowledge of VAWA came from the month of trauma when she disappeared to a battered woman's shelter and I automatically assumed that she was going to use VAWA, especially after the cops rubbished her claims of child abuse as did his pre-school and pediatrician. She is now schlepping my child from shelter to shelter. Unfortunately for her, the Court gave me an interim 50% custody of my boy. The final hearing next quarter is likely to bring about significant reduction in her custodial time.

Which brings me to the point – if your statements about your husband are true, it is likely that the Court will give you sole custody. Question is, if that actually happens will you take your child and head back to Nirvana?

Comment

Working...
                              X