Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on marriage to USC

I have applied for I485 about 4 years ago based on Asylum, now I am planning to get married. My question is this, am I going to benefit if I marry a US Citizen? Is there any restriction on how long the person has been a USC before they can sponsor their spouse?
    Please let me know if I would need to apply for I130 and a new I485? Or should I just wait until I get my green card in the next couple of years and wait out until I am eligible for citizenship on the basis of marriage?

Would appreciate any input.

Thanks,
    Copper

I have applied for I485 about 4 years ago based on Asylum, now I am planning to get married. My question is this, am I going to benefit if I marry a US Citizen? Is there any restriction on how long the person has been a USC before they can sponsor their spouse?
    Please let me know if I would need to apply for I130 and a new I485? Or should I just wait until I get my green card in the next couple of years and wait out until I am eligible for citizenship on the basis of marriage?

Would appreciate any input.

Thanks,
    Copper

Comment

If you marry a USC you can file the I-130 and a new I-485 concurrently, however your spouse will have to file them. Only you can make the decision on if you want to wait it out or not AOS to a USC takes about 1 year to get the GC but 5 years to complete the process removing conditions on marriage. There is no time limit on a USC being a USC before they can file.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation