Request from Senator...opinion....?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Request from Senator...opinion....?

A general question open to discussion.....

How much weight do you think a letter from a senator has in correspondance to USCIS/ICE on the behalf of a petioner has?

Input and first-hand knowledge is appreciated.

NHF

A general question open to discussion.....

How much weight do you think a letter from a senator has in correspondance to USCIS/ICE on the behalf of a petioner has?

NHF

Comment

I have sen it work where the system has cocked up.
      Will not help to queue jump.

Comment

Hi Theone,
        What do you mean by queue jump?

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">A general question open to discussion.....

NHF </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Depends on circumstances.

In some cases (perhaps most, I don't know) it will result in no more than generic responce to Senators request for clarification on behalf of his/her constituent.

There have also been cases of dramatic outcomes as a direct result of Senatorial interference, call to USCIS/ICE and etc.

Again, it all depends on circumstances (and noone can elaborate on whole range of possible circumstances here,for they are infinite).

Comment

FWIW, back in the old INS days (early 2001, before 9/11), I once sent queries to both U.S. senators (neither of whom responded), and I also faxed a letter directly to the then-acting INS commissioner. The same week that I sent the fax, I received the approval notice for my I-129F petition. But I tend to think the two events were purely coincidental. The average processing time for I-129F's out of Texas was above five months, and my own petition was approved almost exactly five months from the date of the receipt notice.

There was never a direct response, in any event, to my messages. Your results may vary.

Comment

People have tendency to see things from solely their own perspective, and that, of course, creates certain illusions: objects that are closer apper to be larger than they are, and those that are far appear to be significantly smaller compared to their actual size.
              But you must distantiate yourself from your own self, your own point of view, in order to see the larger picture,to see it in its' totality.
              Think of all processes in life likewise.
              Most of the time it will save you a lot of time, as you won't need to waste your time doing what is futile and unnecessary, just as you won't miss a moment to do what you should.

Comment

Thanks Teletype,
                Just trying to do some unoffical research on the matter and wanted to get feedback from those who had direct senatorial involvement, and the impact/or lack thereof that it had.

Comment

To do what?

I have seen cases where it mde no difference to where it did, depends what you are asking them to do.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Theone:
                    To do what?

I have seen cases where it mde no difference to where it did, depends what you are asking them to do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Theone,
                    You kow how people are always saying "contact your senator"? Just wondering what these contacts actually do, what is the realm of help that a senator can provide? Even if a senator requests the release of a detainee, how much weight does this actually carry? I understand that there can be a full range of situations, just curious to find out what the situations were that actually precipitated a senatorial contact, and if intervention was provided, what was the intervention, and did it help?
                    BTW, don't laugh, but I actually had to google "queue jump", because this was/is a phrase that I have never used. It means to take cuts in line, or try to get ahead of a structured order, right? Thank you for using this, I honestly never heard of this expression and I used to teach English as a Second Language!!

Comment

Senators do nothing, down to some junior member of their staff.

Certainly could not get somebody released.

Say if your case was stuck somewhere, say a 90 day respons time line and you were still waiting a month later, then they might get something shifted. The enquiry triggered the need to move it along.

If you make serious donations to their campaign funds, that would be another case entirely.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NeedHelpFast:
                        <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Theone:
                        To do what?

I have seen cases where it mde no difference to where it did, depends what you are asking them to do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Theone,
                        You kow how people are always saying "contact your senator"? Just wondering what these contacts actually do, what is the realm of help that a senator can provide? Even if a senator requests the release of a detainee, how much weight does this actually carry? I understand that there can be a full range of situations, just curious to find out what the situations were that actually precipitated a senatorial contact, and if intervention was provided, what was the intervention, and did it help?
                        BTW, don't laugh, but I actually had to google "queue jump", because this was/is a phrase that I have never used. It means to take cuts in line, or try to get ahead of a structured order, right? Thank you for using this, I honestly never heard of this expression and I used to teach English as a Second Language!!
                        </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Americans are not very good at queueing, so probably not the need there is elsewhere.

Comment

"If you make serious donations to their campaign funds, that would be another case entirely."

How sad indeed.

Comment

Working...
                          X