Expunged Record & Naturalization

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expunged Record & Naturalization

I had an arrest for a minor crime in 1995 that has been expunged from my record. I applied for a Green Card in 1996 and used photocopies of all records and these were accepted and I received my green card. I applied for Naturalization in June 2005 and provided the same information again. During my interview a few days ago, the INS officer informed me that the photocopies will not do - they need a court certified copy of the disposition of the case, evidence of completion of probation or a letter of explanation from the court explaining why this information is not available.

I have called the court and they will not release court certified copies becuase the record is expunged. All they have given me is a letter stating that there is no record of the crime.

What should I do? Any advise would be extremely helpful.

I had an arrest for a minor crime in 1995 that has been expunged from my record. I applied for a Green Card in 1996 and used photocopies of all records and these were accepted and I received my green card. I applied for Naturalization in June 2005 and provided the same information again. During my interview a few days ago, the INS officer informed me that the photocopies will not do - they need a court certified copy of the disposition of the case, evidence of completion of probation or a letter of explanation from the court explaining why this information is not available.

I have called the court and they will not release court certified copies becuase the record is expunged. All they have given me is a letter stating that there is no record of the crime.

What should I do? Any advise would be extremely helpful.

Comment

Sounds like the letter you have indicating that a court certified copy is not available because the record has been expunged fits the requirements that you've been asked to provide. At least it does to me.
      The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.

Comment

Make a crtified copy of the letter received from the Court of Law and deliver to the Officer. This should be Ok for him to accept a letter from the Court of he should write back to them.

Comment

Supply the Officer with the certified letter (as sappyconifer said) and the name of your lawyer and the prosecutor (talk to them first!)

This should satisfy the officer (who is just being nosy)

Comment

Working...
          X