Husband taken away in cuffs at L.A. AOS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Husband taken away in cuffs at L.A. AOS

March fools! Everything went great. My husband and I went to the L.A. AOS today with our lawyer and couldn't have had a nicer experience with our (obviously wet behind the ears) INS officer. We weren't even called into an office, but to the back counter where we thought he was a clerk. We didn't even realize he was an INS officer at first, he was so pleasant and polite and cheerful, and we only realized he was our INS guy and not a clerk when he started pulling out our application and asking a couple of questions. My husband and he hit it off, actually, and he only asked for clarification on three of the questions we answered on our application (like a discharged arrest from twenty years ago we were nervous about that he didn't care about at all, address confirmation, if I still worked at my job and routine stuff like that) Our lawyer handed him copies of my taxes and other supporting documents (he handed back the tax filing from 2000 saying he didn't need it, for some reason), but he didn't even look at our stack of photos, bills, accounts, california ID, phone bills totalling ten grand when we were courting long distance or anything. He just fingerprinted my husband, had him sign a document and took his passport with him to his office while we waited a minute or two. When he came out my hubby's passport was already stamped with the I-551 and he nicely explained about filing to have the conditions removed in about two years, and sent us on our way. We were so thrilled and relieved. Even our lawyer was a bit shocked how quick and easy it was, and commented he wondered what government our INS official worked for. I don't think everyone has this experience, but for us it was smooth and no hassles, total time elapsed: five minutes. We were almost comically disappointed since we'd spent so much time compiling evidence of our bona fide marriage and stayed up late drawing out a time line of our fourteen visits before our marriage.

March fools! Everything went great. My husband and I went to the L.A. AOS today with our lawyer and couldn't have had a nicer experience with our (obviously wet behind the ears) INS officer. We weren't even called into an office, but to the back counter where we thought he was a clerk. We didn't even realize he was an INS officer at first, he was so pleasant and polite and cheerful, and we only realized he was our INS guy and not a clerk when he started pulling out our application and asking a couple of questions. My husband and he hit it off, actually, and he only asked for clarification on three of the questions we answered on our application (like a discharged arrest from twenty years ago we were nervous about that he didn't care about at all, address confirmation, if I still worked at my job and routine stuff like that) Our lawyer handed him copies of my taxes and other supporting documents (he handed back the tax filing from 2000 saying he didn't need it, for some reason), but he didn't even look at our stack of photos, bills, accounts, california ID, phone bills totalling ten grand when we were courting long distance or anything. He just fingerprinted my husband, had him sign a document and took his passport with him to his office while we waited a minute or two. When he came out my hubby's passport was already stamped with the I-551 and he nicely explained about filing to have the conditions removed in about two years, and sent us on our way. We were so thrilled and relieved. Even our lawyer was a bit shocked how quick and easy it was, and commented he wondered what government our INS official worked for. I don't think everyone has this experience, but for us it was smooth and no hassles, total time elapsed: five minutes. We were almost comically disappointed since we'd spent so much time compiling evidence of our bona fide marriage and stayed up late drawing out a time line of our fourteen visits before our marriage.

Comment

hehe congrats, if everything went smooth like this USCIS will surely have much better reputation

Comment

Congrats! Too bad you wasted money on a lawyer.

Everyone is too paranoid about BCIS! As long as you are legitimate, it is cake!

Next step, I-751. Both file, both show up, evidence to back you up = CAKE!
        Sweet Madame Belu

Comment

Congrats Riley!

Comment

what was his status? He came on k1/k3? was he overstay on a vwp? f1? illegal?

-= nav =-

Comment

just a note:

many times dao's will quickly whip thorugh an "easy" case, and smile and get it over with. So they can spend *more time* focusing on a tougher, grilling case coming up. It's kinda like how some II's will admit some person in real quick at the border, so they can use the extra time to grill the next dubious looking person coming up.

It's their training. They can't spend equal amount of times on every case. They delegate their time accordingly.

-= nav =-

Comment

congrats.. Must have been the $10,000 in pphone bills that did the trick.
                or was that why he was taken away in cuffs for non payment of them

Comment

Hi Moondin,
                  We were courting via international long distance and Air Canada. Fourteen trips back and forth, ranging from one week to a month per trip, plus hours on the phone and 'net to each other everday for two years. Finally, on the fourteenth trip (him coming to L.A. to me), we just go married that same week and he didn't go back, and then we filed the I-130 et al a few months later. The only thing we were worried about was if the INS decided to notice the whole "preconceived intent to marry thing" but he didn't even mention it. The only "hold my breath question" was pertaining to my husband's (false) arrest, and the INS guy was cool about it. I don't know why anyone does the k-1 thing (can't cross borders for months to see one another, the government can deny you and ban you just for asking... it's just nuts). Anyway, whew. That part is OVER, we're so happy. My husband can't wait to cross borders just so he can come back and wave the I-551 in the faces of the really mean U.S. border guys.

Comment

Hi Josephine Schmo,
                    Actually, we didn't feel our lawyer fee was a waste at all. We were nervous about two things in our application that could have resulted in complications and having our lawyer there for peace of mind to handle it if any legalese came up helped our stress level to a manageable level. Plus, while I'm no dummy when it comes to logical, straightforward documents, the INS paperwork was somewhat baffling to me when we first started filing a year ago (now, I'm much more conversant and could probably handle it fine on my own, but not then with so much riding on crossing every t and dotting every i just right!)

Comment

DAO's could really care less about grilling Canadians, due to the almost indentical societies of the US and Canada and CONSTANT travel both citizens make to each other on a daily basis. You could've gone in with almost no paperwork and still gotten approved.

But you didn't hear it from me.

-= nav =-

Comment

Sorry riley, didn't know the details of your case.
                        Sweet Madame Belu

Comment

This proves that the whole BCIS is a rubber stamp; the guy has a criminal record and not rvrn an eyebrow is raised

Comment

DAO's are known internally as "yes-men".

more info prolly i shouldn't be postin'.

-= nav =-

Comment

Michael needs to read the posts more closely since I've said more than once my husband has no criminal record or was guilty of anything (arrests don't imply guilt, remember basic Civics Class?) The IIs checked him closely at the border when he was asked if he was ever arrested and he told them the truth, that yes he had been arrested but that it had been discharged (something we don't have here meaning that the arrest record, which is not a conviction, was completely expunged like it never occurred or existed). You may not know that IIs computers are linked to RCMP (that's Royal Candadian Mounties, to you - the equivalant of our CIA, only with a bit more credibility in intelligence gathering these days...), and the IIs at the border gave him a really hard time and tried hard to find a reason not to let him in once he admitted to the arrest (as honest folks should), but they couldn't find anything on him. Obviously, if he had a criminal record he wouldn't have been let in. He was told at the border that the next time he crossed he needed to bring in a paper from a Canada court with the arrest result on it, even though none exists. So he next brought in a court paper saying he has NO RECORD. As you may or may not know, all applicants are subject to an extensive FBI check, and nothing came up. As a Social Worker in Canada, he had to go through an extensive criminal background check there for his job, and found nothing either. The ONLY reason the DAO or the IIs knew anything about the arrest was because my husband was up front about it, but it was a benign factor for all for all concerned. Sorry, Michael, you can't use us as rant for how awful the sytem is. DAOs may be known as Yes-Men, but in our case nothing was rubberstamped, we did it the right way, were honest, have a bona fide marriage and so in our case the system worked as it should. Sorry to hear that you got suckered by your own "greencard marrying wench" - maybe next time, bring a polygraph on your first date, if you ever get off this site and find a live woman to talk to.

Comment

Working...
                              X