Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have H1B with a full time job. What should I do next to get a green card?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have H1B with a full time job. What should I do next to get a green card?

Hi,
    I google about green card through employment process and know that I can apply for green card because I have a full time job with my H1-B visa, and also I have a master degree from an US university. My university (my current sponsor) had filed a Labor Certificate (I believe so) in order to apply for my H1-B visa. My sponsor said that they would apply for a green card for me after 3 years working for them (I am in the first year now).
    I would like to apply for a green card as soon as possible. My question are:
    - May I apply for a green card with help from a lawyer now, instead of waiting 2 more years for my sponsor?
    - What kind of documentations will I need to have for the competition?
    - If the answer of the first question is yes, could you please suggest a good immigration lawyer in Silver Spring/DC who has solid experience in immigration issues?
    Thank you for your time and consideration.
    Sincerely,
    A. Lee

Hi,
    I google about green card through employment process and know that I can apply for green card because I have a full time job with my H1-B visa, and also I have a master degree from an US university. My university (my current sponsor) had filed a Labor Certificate (I believe so) in order to apply for my H1-B visa. My sponsor said that they would apply for a green card for me after 3 years working for them (I am in the first year now).
    I would like to apply for a green card as soon as possible. My question are:
    - May I apply for a green card with help from a lawyer now, instead of waiting 2 more years for my sponsor?
    - What kind of documentations will I need to have for the competition?
    - If the answer of the first question is yes, could you please suggest a good immigration lawyer in Silver Spring/DC who has solid experience in immigration issues?
    Thank you for your time and consideration.
    Sincerely,
    A. Lee

Comment

Hi Amy, this is just what I know, ok, because I had considered getting an employment-based GC before.

From what I understand, your employer needs to file the PERM for you, then once it is approved, then the employer needs to file the I-140, and you can file the I-485 together with it.

I was advised before to retain a lawyer, because you need someone to represent your best interests, and not rely on the employer's lawyer.

When I was offered a job before, the employer was willing to pay for my lawyer's fees -- I get to choose my own laywer.

Comment

If your job says you have to wait 3 years then there isn't anything else you can do but wait. You should actually be very grateful because some companies will sponsor the H-1B, but not the GC. So just relax, and give your 100% because if you don't perform, they can change their minds and not apply for the GC like they said they would.

Another way to get the GC faster would be to apply for the diversity visa (this is what I did) If you are selected you can get your GC in <1 year.

Good luck!

Comment

Thank you very much for replies. I cannot apply for the diversity visa because I am not eligible. According to your experience, I think that I will wait for my employer since they have said so to their employees.
          Thank you once again.
          Sincerely,
          Amy

Comment

Working...
          X