Immigration Law Question: Timeline

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immigration Law Question: Timeline

Okay hello all firstly, Question I asked this before but doing soi again.

If an American citizen marries and his wife does not have a green card . I know it takes years for her to get a green card after the marriage but what kind of status do they have while waiting I.e can she work .Is there a temporary stamp or something issued on their passport .Or can they not work for years after while the petition is filed and being processed .She entered legally etc so no problems there:-)

Genuine replies appreciatted.
    Regards and thanks,
    Mary Josephine :-)

Okay hello all firstly, Question I asked this before but doing soi again.

If an American citizen marries and his wife does not have a green card . I know it takes years for her to get a green card after the marriage but what kind of status do they have while waiting I.e can she work .Is there a temporary stamp or something issued on their passport .Or can they not work for years after while the petition is filed and being processed .She entered legally etc so no problems there:-)

Genuine replies appreciatted.
    Regards and thanks,

Comment

It doesn't take years to get a green card in your friend's situation. Has the spouse filed any paperwork yet? For my relatives, it was only a matter of months before the SSN and green card arrived after filing their immigration documents.

Comment

In the past it took years but these days they have got a lot better. Typically 3-6 months unless there are complications (like an RFE). The status in the meantime is pending AOS and they will get interim benefits like the EAD (work permit) and travel document assuming they apply for it at the time of filing for AOS.
        "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

Comment

HI BRIT,THAT WAS MY QUESTION HOW SOON DO THEY GET A WORK PERMIT ONCE THE APPLICATION IS FILED.
          Regards and thanks,

Comment

Most places are taking about 4 months to process AoS at present. EAD is taking 2-3 months.
            The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it - Plutarch

Comment

what is EAD exactly ? They are in Dc my friends that is..
              Regards and thanks,

Comment

EAD = Employment Authorization Document.
                "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

Comment

In other words, Mary, it's a temporary work permit.

When your friends send in their I-485 package to adjust status, they should also send in the I-765 to get her that EAD.

Unfortunately, DC is one of the busier offices, so that 4 months most offices are currently taking may be a little longer.
                  The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it - Plutarch

Comment

Working...
                  X