Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

H1B petition approved - Do I need a visa or can I use my old (but still valid) F1 vis

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B petition approved - Do I need a visa or can I use my old (but still valid) F1 vis

Hello,

I had a F1 student. The F1 visa in my passport actually does not expire before 2013 or so. I am now working and got my H1B petition approved. I have the I-797 A notice of approval with me with the new I-94 attached. I am still in the United States. I never left since I applied for H1B.

I read somewhere that I had to file a form No. 156 to get a H1B visa in my passport and be able to travel internationally.

Is this true even though technically, my old F1 visa says 2013? Do I have to get a new visa?

If so, how can I apply while in the US? I tried to fill out the online form 156 and could not. The first question is about your current location. They only list foreign countries. Should I select my country of citizenship even though it is not where I currently live?

Thanks for your help.

Hello,

I had a F1 student. The F1 visa in my passport actually does not expire before 2013 or so. I am now working and got my H1B petition approved. I have the I-797 A notice of approval with me with the new I-94 attached. I am still in the United States. I never left since I applied for H1B.

I read somewhere that I had to file a form No. 156 to get a H1B visa in my passport and be able to travel internationally.

Is this true even though technically, my old F1 visa says 2013? Do I have to get a new visa?

If so, how can I apply while in the US? I tried to fill out the online form 156 and could not. The first question is about your current location. They only list foreign countries. Should I select my country of citizenship even though it is not where I currently live?

Thanks for your help.

Comment

You need a visa....duh....leave MY country, you need a visa....of course, I wonder why you didn't return to your third world country after your studies, as you stated during your student visa interview....let me guess....lying runs rampant in your family....

Comment

another ''student'' ha ha ha

Comment

YOu need a valid unexpired H-1B visa and approved petition.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M_b:
            Hello,

Thanks for your help. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can't apply for H-1 Visa from within US if you are not admitted with the same. Only those who are admitted with H visa can send passports for H visa stamping without leaving US. You must now depart US and apply from abroad if you want to get a valid visa to re-enter US. You may need to go back to your country of origin and apply for H Visa. Whatever other visa you have in your passport and regardless of it's expiration date is not applicable to your H status and can't be used to re-enter as H worker in future (perhaps you also automatically forfeited your F visa eligibility by applying for a dual intention visa).

The above is NOT a legal advise. I am a dilettante in immigration law (so are most others who post on public forums). Consult immigration attorney for professional assitance.
            http://www.anbsoft.com/images/usflag_med.jpg

"...I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibit

Comment

You cannot reenter the United States with an F-1 visa if you're not entering the country as a foreign student. A new immigration status requires a NEW VISA for reentry.

If you're no longer an F-1 student, your F-1 visa is canceled, regardless of the expiration date stamped in your passport.

Comment

You are currently in valid H-1B status. The F-1 visa in the passport no longer applies. You are not required to leave to get a visa, either.

However, you will need to get a visa if you decide you want to leave the U.S. for a trip and need to re-enter the U.S.

Comment

Working...
                X