Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-1 expired OPT leaving country

Hi All
    I have a question. My F-1 expired a couple of years ago (but am still a student with a valid I20). I am graduating, but the place that I am going to work asked me to get OPT (pre graduating, I am starting work there before graduating). Now, they are going to write a letter of offer. Can I leave the country and come back having that letter of offer if the OPT is approved? once I have the EAD in hand, or would I have to wait until they give me a J1?

thanks

Hi All
    I have a question. My F-1 expired a couple of years ago (but am still a student with a valid I20). I am graduating, but the place that I am going to work asked me to get OPT (pre graduating, I am starting work there before graduating). Now, they are going to write a letter of offer. Can I leave the country and come back having that letter of offer if the OPT is approved? once I have the EAD in hand, or would I have to wait until they give me a J1?

thanks

Comment

If your visa expired you will have to go to the embassy or consulate and apply for a new one before you will be allowed to reenter. CAUTION: Applying for a visa while on OPT is not advisable as some consulates view it for what it is OPTIONAL practical training. In other words some officers may not renew your visa as it appears that your program of study is finished.

I would wait until the employer files the appropriate paperwork for a change of status to a new visa category and travel with that paperwork

Comment

Working...
      X