Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Renewing Green card for children turning 14?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renewing Green card for children turning 14?

I am in panic mode now as I read that I am supposed to renew my son's Green card 30 days prior to his 14th birthday.

I have looked around for information about it but I am getting confused.

I can't find his GC right now (somewhere in house lol) but I am sure it is valid for 10yrs and has the expiration date for that date.

Is it true I have to renew it before he is 14?
    He has only had it for 2 yrs, so why does he need it renewing?

Does anyone know what happens if I don't renew it, as right now I can't. He will be 14 in less than 30 days now. To be honest I have not heard of this until now, so now I am panicking. Never have I had anything from USCIS or the letter that came with the GC that said I had to do this.

Or am I misreading what I read?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
    1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

I am in panic mode now as I read that I am supposed to renew my son's Green card 30 days prior to his 14th birthday.

I have looked around for information about it but I am getting confused.

I can't find his GC right now (somewhere in house lol) but I am sure it is valid for 10yrs and has the expiration date for that date.

Is it true I have to renew it before he is 14?
    He has only had it for 2 yrs, so why does he need it renewing?

Does anyone know what happens if I don't renew it, as right now I can't. He will be 14 in less than 30 days now. To be honest I have not heard of this until now, so now I am panicking. Never have I had anything from USCIS or the letter that came with the GC that said I had to do this.

Or am I misreading what I read?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Well it looks as though you have to according to the I-90 form.

It basically states "2. Within 30 days after reaching your 14th birthday,to replace a card issued before your 14th birthday."

It appears you still have some time to find his Green card since you have to do it after his Birthday.

Comment

Thank you Lyric, I didn't see the 'after' your birthday bit. At least I still have time then.

I don't understand why they issued a card with a 10yr expiration date on it then when they have to renew it sooner. I am so glad I came across that today, I would never have known.

I can't get to the USCIS for biometrics as its over 100 miles away, ahhh more panic.

Thank you for clarifying that for me, I was not sure whether I misread that or not.

Comment

I have another question if someone could answer please,

If I file for a fee waiver, and I don't have any supporting documents how do I get around this?

I don't have any income (even though I am supposed to via spousal support) and I cannot receive benefits, I don't have anything to show them, except a bank statement showing zero.

In case those who don't know, I am going through a divorce.

What supporting documents do you think I should provide them in proving I don't have the means to pay for the biometrics fee?

Also I would like to know whether I need the affidavit or sworn document notarized?

Any suggestions please?

Comment

Working...
          X