Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lost Naturalization Certificate and need a passport ASAP......Help!!!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost Naturalization Certificate and need a passport ASAP......Help!!!!!

Hello,
    I lost my naturalization certificate before i applied for a passport (Stupid act on my part). I did apply to replace my certificate and found out it takes up to a year to process. I was able to obtain a copy of my naturalization certificate from my employer because that was what i used as proof of citizenship when i started the job.
    I was told by the passport office they do not accept copies... Would I be able to get a letter from immigration for verification of citizenship? Also when i looked at the copies it's saying it's illegal to make copies. would i get in trouble for having my employer copy this? Please advise. any help would be much appreciated.

Originally posted by Kisha54:
    Hello,
    I lost my naturalization certificate before i applied for a passport (Stupid act on my part). I did apply to replace my certificate and found out it takes up to a year to process. I was able to obtain a copy of my naturalization certificate from my employer because that was what i used as proof of citizenship when i started the job.
    I was told by the passport office they do not accept copies... Would I be able to get a letter from immigration for verification of citizenship? Also when i looked at the copies it's saying it's illegal to make copies. would i get in trouble for having my employer copy this? Please advise. any help would be much appreciated.
    Although this site does not provide time frames, it is worth checking out if you are abroad right now.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

Have you not heard of a safe deposit box?

But in any event,you have no options other then applying for a replacement certificate.

Comment

I guess there is no way around it. You will have to apply for the replacement certificate. I know its a little late to tell you this but most people that I know as soon as they are sworn in, they apply for a passport. It is the only way to travel now esp now that you dont have a green card and anyone leaving the country needs a passport to get back in.

Comment

Actually, I was able to apply for passport using my receipt. I also had to go the immigration office to obtain a letter from them stating that I became naturalized on such and such date and my passport arrived 2 days ago. And yes i'm fully aware of safe deposit box and I was silly for not applying for a passport right after being sworn in but at the time I was 8 months pregnant and on bed rest and did not even think about it with everything else i had going on....But i'm glad it all worked out. Thank you for your responses.

Comment

I forgot to say they only issued my passport for a year. so when i get the certificate i have to reapply so they issue the 10 year....

Comment

Happy to know everything worked ok. New info learned if certificate is lost and you need a passport right away. Happy travels.

Comment

To Kisha54 My father is a naturalized citizen and he too has lost his papers. My brother is planning a wedding on a cruise ship which my father would need a passport to attend. He has never had one and we are not sure how to proceed with getting one. Would you mind please giving me the process yu went through to obtain yours. I am getting a lot conflicting info. Where did you get you letter stating that you were naturalized? Our local immigration ofc is stating that they do not give those out. Also how did you get a receipt stating you had applied for your replacement? I am collecting info for my father so that he has as much knowledge as possible. Thank you so much for your response.

Comment

Well first of I applied to replace my lost certificate. when i got the receipt I went to the Immigration office that i became Naturalize with my receipt letting them know that the passport office is requiring a letter of verification......they gave me a letter seal in one of their envelope which i could not open my self......so the 1. receipt from immigration to replace lost naturalization certificate 2. verification letter from immigration office 3. along with a letter explaining what happen to my naturalization certificate and passport application was able to get me a 2 year passport until my naturalization certificate is replace. The immigration office you went to was it the same one he interviewed with? Does he have alien #? because that was what they used to look up my information along with ID?

Comment

Once you apply for a receipt to replace the certificate you will get a receipt in the mail within a week or 2

Comment

Actually my dad has been a citizen for 30 yrs. He has never had a passport. So that definitely complicates things. He does have copies of his certificate. He lost the original probably 5 yrs ago but never applied for replacement because he had so many copies. Hopefully the local office will work with us a little more if we have our receipt. Did you have to take a letter from the passport ofc to get your letter?

Comment

Hi! I'm facing the same issues. I misplaced my naturalization certificate before i could apply for a passport. Unfortunately my Grandpa passed two days ago and his funeral is for oct, 2011 and i have no way of travelling back to nigeria to pay my last respect. I feel soooo horrible i wasn't able to go home to visit when he was sick and now he's gone ..... i need serious help in obtaining my passport. I know i need to turn in the 565 form but what do i do from there, will i be able to get atleast a temp passport to travel in oct? pls help

Comment

And i do have a copy of my naturalizatoin certificate.

Comment

Does anyone know if form N-565 has to be applied for over the mail, or are there field offices that will accept walk-ins for it? I have called several times and know about sending it via Express Mail, but Kisha's post below makes me wonder since the sealed verification letter was obtained at the Immigration office, so I am wondering if this involves an appointment, and if

1.a the appointment is automatic upon application via the normal mail process or

1.b if Kisha made the appointment separately, and

2. if it is a walk-in situation since the recordings specify certain offices do not accept walk-ins, which leads me to believe some may. And if there are walk-in offices then it of course involves the possibility of further expediting it, perhaps even bringing in the app in person in the beginning but I'm sure that part is unlikely. Thanks for any info that you may have.

Originally posted by Kisha54 View Post
                            Well first of I applied to replace my lost certificate. when i got the receipt I went to the Immigration office that i became Naturalize with my receipt letting them know that the passport office is requiring a letter of verification......they gave me a letter seal in one of their envelope which i could not open my self......so the 1. receipt from immigration to replace lost naturalization certificate 2. verification letter from immigration office 3. along with a letter explaining what happen to my naturalization certificate and passport application was able to get me a 2 year passport until my naturalization certificate is replace. The immigration office you went to was it the same one he interviewed with? Does he have alien #? because that was what they used to look up my information along with ID?

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation