Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wife wants to deport me

hello everyone i am new here and i need some advice,
    i have been in the USA for about five years now and i have a ten year green card,
    shortly before i received my tygc i split up with my wife
    we had already filed for the card before we split up but the immigration people wanted additional evidence etc,
    my wife agreed to give me all the supporting evidence, i sent it off and got my card,
    now we have been split up for over a year now
    i have been supporting her financially during this time
    but i now want to move on with my life ,
    i have asked her for a divorce and she has told me that if i divorce her or stop supporting her financially she will inform immigration that it was a sham marriage and she will have me deported,
    can she do this ? and if so what are my options?
    please help, this is driving me crazy

hello everyone i am new here and i need some advice,
    i have been in the USA for about five years now and i have a ten year green card,
    shortly before i received my tygc i split up with my wife
    we had already filed for the card before we split up but the immigration people wanted additional evidence etc,
    my wife agreed to give me all the supporting evidence, i sent it off and got my card,
    now we have been split up for over a year now
    i have been supporting her financially during this time
    but i now want to move on with my life ,
    i have asked her for a divorce and she has told me that if i divorce her or stop supporting her financially she will inform immigration that it was a sham marriage and she will have me deported,
    can she do this ? and if so what are my options?
    please help, this is driving me crazy

Comment

i agree with davdah there is nothing her or the uscis can do about it. once u get your 10 years card not even bush can deport u if u didnt break the law ok. move on in your life and dont listen to her threats anymore. uscis wont give someone a PGC unless they know 100% that there is no fraud fraud involved , so i wont really worry about it that much , and thats why they give the 2 years first to spot those fraud cases , they approved yours so dont worry about it , and remember, she sighned the joint i-751 application , so if she open her mouth she will be in trouble first ,so dont worry there is nothing her/them they can do about this . good luck

Comment

Hello Brit151

Hmmm...
        The $64,000 question is does she have proof? It sounds like there may be some merit if you have been financially been supporting her ...for what reason other than co-opertion for the card.

I would not get comfortable if I were you unless you know she does not have the proof that could have uscis withdraw your card for fraud.

Comment

4now, remember she can only claim fraud if she was not aware of it before. If she knew for sometime she could well perjure herself.
          -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
          1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sprint_girl07:
            4now, remember she can only claim fraud if she was not aware of it before. If she knew for sometime she could well perjure herself. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I havent forgotten anything, It is not my first day. I am well aware of the law Sprint girl. If there is proof...there is smoke. if there is no proof... then it is all moot.

Comment

No need to be sarcastic 4now, you obviously read my post the wrong way.
              I merely pointed it out as it is important, regardless if there was fraud or not, and whether she could prove it or not.
              I don't think she would want to perjure herself saying she knew about it long ago.

My husband tried that one with me, as soon as they are told they could be in trouble too, they soon change their stories.
              -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
              1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

Comment

It all comes down to what proof there is. The proof does not have to indicate her at all, therefore no liability on her part.

this is why I am asking the poster if she has proof. Until he answers, anything else is mere speculation.

Comment

thank you for all your replys people,
                  my estranged wife has told me that she has at least five people that will testify that it was a sham marriage,
                  but i believe these people are her family members and our joint friends, and they are the people that gave us supporting evidence that we were a true couple, i did not come to the US just to get here i had a good job and a great life in england before i left , i came here to be with her and i am so sorry things did not work out for us , but being here for five years now , my whole life is here and i dont want to leave, i get a little nervous over things like this and your constructive replys to my thread have helped, i think i need to talk to an immigration attorney concerning this matter, and if anyone knows of a good attorney in Kentucky could you give me his/her name,
                  once again i thank you for all your help,
                  you guys are the best

Comment

hi brit0151 , listen my friend dont worry about this ok , those 5 idiots will go to jail if they open their mouth bcoz first they wrote letters etc... about your marriage and now they will turn around and say it wasn't real. this is not possible ok dont worry about it, she sighned the i-751 and they gived u letters and they cann't just turn around and say oh sorry, i changed my mind and this guy is a fraud . u dont need a lawyer man ,dont worry unless if the uscis contact u regard this which iam almost positive they wont bcoz those guys r just trying to scare you

Comment

Hi Brit..........fellow Brit here......now listen. Mike, Sprint and davdah are right and 4now is wrong. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING YOUR SOON TO BE EX-WFE CAN DO. You are home free imigration wise and the only way you can be deported is if you commit a crime that carries a prison sentence. Now with that said, if this woman is trying to extort money out of you by using immigration, who knows what she is capable of.....she could lie through her teeth to get a better divorce settlement or could lie to get you arrested....sounds to me that she maybe the sort of person who would do this.

It would be interesting to see her reaction if you pretend that she has the power to deport you and tell her that by not only getting you deported she will lose her gravy train but also she will be charged by the government for the cost of deportation because she signed the affadavit of support.

Ok mate, my advice to you is to apply for your citizenship when you are eligible which I think you can now from what you said...........and get your divorce and move on.

Comment

I'd like to say something...

If the intent of the marriage was actually to obtain a green card then she can actually initiate an investigation. That doesn't mean the spouse is guilt free, but angry people tend to act on impulse.

If the intent of the marriage was noble, then the fact that you've been supporting your wife would be nothing but a confirmation of such bona-fide intent, along with the long time you guys have been married. Supporting your spouse, even during separation, is nothing out of the ordinary.

Just an opinion, a thought. If you want legal advice you need to hire an attorney.

-THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE-

Comment

If information comes to light after a 10-year green card has been awarded to an alien, that if known before would have precluded permanent residency, then by all means an ex-pouse can impact an alien's right to remain and hold a green card. It just depends on the evidence and how compelling it is to prompt USCIS to initiate recission proceedings.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paddy:
                          Hi Brit..........fellow Brit here......now listen. Mike, Sprint and davdah are right and 4now is wrong. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING YOUR SOON TO BE EX-WFE CAN DO. You are home free imigration wise and the only way you can be deported is if you commit a crime that carries a prison sentence. Now with that said, if this woman is trying to extort money out of you by using immigration, who knows what she is capable of.....she could lie through her teeth to get a better divorce settlement or could lie to get you arrested....sounds to me that she maybe the sort of person who would do this.

It would be interesting to see her reaction if you pretend that she has the power to deport you and tell her that by not only getting you deported she will lose her gravy train but also she will be charged by the government for the cost of deportation because she signed the affadavit of support.

Ok mate, my advice to you is to apply for your citizenship when you are eligible which I think you can now from what you said...........and get your divorce and move on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

For clarification.... CIS doesn't care about why you're still married or why are you not divorcing your wife. CIS cares ONLY about WHY you said "I Do"... Nothing else. It's the INTENT of the marriage, the reasons as to why you got married that matter.

If you're not getting a divorce in fear of losing the LPR status, that could be irrelevant, what matters here is NOT that you're divorcing, but WHY you got married.... Divorce after a few years is very different than divorce after receiving the green card, and even that is not reason enough to remove an alien as it does not prove intent.

Aliens are deported on fake marriages, not on marriages gone bad. If you marry a stranger just to get a green card then you're committing a crime, but if you're marriage goes sour then that's just life.

Marriage is a sacred institution, and those who turn it into a simple association to obtain a benefit should face criminal penalties.

-THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE-

Comment

Technically, this is true, however, the alien must be able to demonstrate his or her intent.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Houston:
                              For clarification.... CIS doesn't care about why you're still married or why are you not divorcing your wife. CIS cares ONLY about WHY you said "I Do"... Nothing else. It's the INTENT of the marriage, the reasons as to why you got married that matter.

If you're not getting a divorce in fear of losing the LPR status, that could be irrelevant, what matters here is NOT that you're divorcing, but WHY you got married.... Divorce after a few years is very different than divorce after receiving the green card, and even that is not reason enough to remove an alien as it does not prove intent.

Aliens are deported on fake marriages, not on marriages gone bad. If you marry a stranger just to get a green card then you're committing a crime, but if you're marriage goes sour then that's just life.

Marriage is a sacred institution, and those who turn it into a simple association to obtain a benefit should face criminal penalties.

-THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

Working...
                              X