Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Silviamka

Thanks for your prompt reply....
    I was told by someone working for an I/attorney,that we should NOT get married prior to my obtaining citizenship,why would this be the case?
    I have a colleague who went back to his native country,married,returned to the US and when he became a citizen,a year or so later,brought his wife into the US and she received some sort of G/card status immediately on arrival?

Thanks for your prompt reply....
    I was told by someone working for an I/attorney,that we should NOT get married prior to my obtaining citizenship,why would this be the case?
    I have a colleague who went back to his native country,married,returned to the US and when he became a citizen,a year or so later,brought his wife into the US and she received some sort of G/card status immediately on arrival?

Comment

Basically, you can get married to her and file for AOS (K-3) immediately. The problem is that spouses of LPR, unlike spouses of USC, do not have immigration numbers immediately available to them. I believe, but am not 100% sure, that you would file form I-130, but would have to wait to file I-485 until an immigrant number becomes available to her, which could take years.However, it is possible to "upgrade" your petition once you become a citizen, at which point an immigrant number would become available to her and the process would be sped up. I'm assuming that's what your colleague did.

also check out http://www.immigrate2us.net (lots of helpful ppl and I post there too)

good luck to you and let me know if I can help with anything :-)

Comment

The person working for an attorney is very likely misinformed

Comment

Working...
        X