Is legal picture ID availale?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is legal picture ID availale?

Can anyone tell me if there is a legal way to get a picture ID with age date on it? My foster daughter from Honduras came here legally at age 5, and is almost 21 but due to mistakes from INS, Lawyers, and ourselves her parents, she has been out of status (unknowingly the visa and passport ran out and we discovered this 1 year ago) for 7 years. She has trouble boarding a plane even. We cannot get her a non-drivers license anymore, so don't know what else there is? Thanks.

Can anyone tell me if there is a legal way to get a picture ID with age date on it? My foster daughter from Honduras came here legally at age 5, and is almost 21 but due to mistakes from INS, Lawyers, and ourselves her parents, she has been out of status (unknowingly the visa and passport ran out and we discovered this 1 year ago) for 7 years. She has trouble boarding a plane even. We cannot get her a non-drivers license anymore, so don't know what else there is? Thanks.

Comment

Why can't she just get a Honduras passport?

Comment

She has a Honduran passport but it expired 7 years ago and it was issued when she was 5 so I don't think that's going to help her when it comes to getting into an establishment that you have to prove you're you and over 21. She needs a recent one with picture and birthdate on it for that and they don't issue non-driver's license' anymore, at least not in New York State. So that's why I'm asking if there's something else that I'm not aware of. We also don't want to bring the expired passport and Visa out at the airport and draw attention to her status until she is married next summer and can change her status legally. Thanks.
        Candy

Comment

Can she get a new passport? That will satisfy the ID requirement.

Comment

I'm not an expert on the rules for issuing Honduran Passports, but it seems likely that the Honduran Embassy in Washington, D.C., would replace an expired passport with a new one. I'm somewhat surprised that you don't want to investigate this option.

A few years ago, I renewed my expired passport at my country-of-origin's embassy in Washington, D.C., without the slightest problem. My previous passport had been expired for about two years at the time of renewal.

Comment

Hi!
              does your foster daughter have a birth certificate? how about any documents (regarding: her being your foster duaghter) or school records maybe... that will be available. Call or inquire from your Consulate Office (Honduras embassy here in the USA) and ask about how to renew her passport.

Comment

Just got back on line today to answer to your replies. Thanks for trying to help me. I have been hesitant to try and renew the passport because the VISA ran out 7 years ago too. We did not realize this until she graduated high school because the lawyers had the passport all these years as we were trying to adopt her in this country. So since she has been here illegally due to status running out we have been afraid to draw attention to it by asking for a new passport.

Comment

Oh, I forgot to respond to B.C. question. She was abandoned in the field as an infant and so has no Birth Certificate. She was issued a Certificate of Naturalization when she was 5 and came to this country. Even that does not have true information on it as she had no known parents/names so the administrator and wife of the orphanage put their names on it and the passport as her parents. We were going to adopt her but never could due to Honduras not being able to supply us with any records on her to satisfy the courts here so INS told us to leave well enough alone etc. I explained her situation in being here under the discussion of " Honduran citizen but been in this country since age 5 wanting to marry u.s. citizen.

Comment

hi candy, I just read your note and the reason i write is tha i basically have the same problem. I have been trying to get some type of ID that is beeing accepted by ny state for marriage, since my passport is expired and my ID has been stolen years ago. My boyfriend and I live together, almost 3 years, and we have a 2 year old daughter, but we cant get married because I cant find a way to get ID. I thought that maybe we can help each other confronting information people give us to find a solution. I have followed a few leads but so far nothing came out. What have you tried? Please reply, thanx.

Comment

Hi, Vee,
                      So far the only thing my Honduran born daughter has been able to do is volunteer at a nursing home. They gave her a photo ID that states "Volunteer" on it and put her birthdate on it after she showed them her 'Certificate of Naturalization " to prove her age. We are hoping that with these two things she will be able to go to motor vehicles to get a Non-Driver's license ID. I didn't think a non drivers license still existed in NY state but with enough proof of who you are I guess it might. I don't know if she has enough documents to satisfy DMV or if they'll accept the volunteer ID since it isn't government or employer but it's worth a try. With the non drivers license ID she should be able to get married. But she's not ready to get married yet. So, I'd like to find a legal way for a change of status for her without that but so far 4 lawyers have turned us down saying she'll probably get deported.
                      What information have you come up with?
                      Candy

Comment

hi candy,
                        I heard about the non drivers licence, but I was told that in order to get that you need to have a social security number which I dont have. A friend of mine is going to motor vehicle to renew her licence and she will ask what documents are needed. I was also told that driving schools have a list called the six points list. It shows what documents are accepted as identification in order to get driver and non driver licence ID. I didnt pursue it because I thought they might need social security number as I was told. I also got some info about the green card lottery, but if you are out of status, you are going to have problems and might get deported if you get picked, so I dropped that too. It is all very complicated, everybody has their opinion but nothing seems to work. They told me to act as if I lost my passport and ask for new one, but that doesnt work neither.I dont know what else to try. One question? what is this certificate of naturalization? does it expire? why cant she get a passport with that? I have also read a message on this board by someone stating that he read somewhere that after being in the US a certain amount of years you are allowed to adjust your status even if you are an undocumented alien. she has been here long. Have you ever heard of that??? vee

Comment

hi candy,
                          I forgot, you said you are from ny, I dont know if you are in nyc but I have seen places in manhattan, (of course when you need it you can remember where they are)someone even gave me a card, that advertise Picture ID, it says they help you get identification but they dont specify what are the requirements. If I find one or any info I will let you know. They used to be along broadway.
                          vee

Comment

Vee,
                            My daughter has a passport but it expired, including the school visa, 7 years ago. So, I don't want to try and get a new one which would bring to the attention of authorities that she is out of status. She does have a SS card but it says not valid for work. Again I can't change that until she gets to petition for a change of status. I don't think that being here a long time works anymore if you're out of status. I have been to 4 lawyers and none of them thought making her legal after being out of status more than 18 monts would be as easy case. If she is deported she can't return for 10 years.
                            We live in Western New York, very rural area.
                            Oh, the Certficate of Naturalization is the closest thing to a birth certificate she will ever have. She was abandoned in a field at about 2 months old and was found by a nurse on her way to a rural clinic. So, she had no birth certificate. The lawyers gave her the Cert. of Nat. at 5 years old when she was coming to the US to be with us. It states she is a citizen of Honduras born on 11/25/84. They only guessed on her birthdate. But it is notorized and stamped with a raised seal and is the only legal document she has from her country. We were going to adopt her but there were so many complications we couldn't and then her passport and visa ran out without us being aware of it...and so, here we are in this mess.
                            Anything new with you?
                            Candy

Comment

Hi Candy,

you are saying "I don't want to try and get a new one (passport) which would bring to the attention of authorities that she is out of status".

Are you talking about US or Honduras authorities? US authorities have nothing to do with the issuance of her new passport. She is a citizen of Honduras and has a right to Honduras passport. Embassy of Honduras may not even care about her status in the US. Their job is to be of service to their citizens.
                              I don't see what you can lose by calling the embassy and asking what needs to be submitted in order to get a new passport.

Comment

Working...
                              X