Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last name after marriage - interview question

Hello!

I am marrying my fiance (US citizen) in just 3 weeks! I have been thinking about the last name issue and I really want to keep my last name as it is custom in my culture and family. Has anyone dealt with that at all? Is it a problem in the green card interview? Is it suspicious? I have heard so many stories that I'm freaking myself out, even though our marriage is real and we've been living together for a while. I just want to make sure everything is smooth.

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hello!

I am marrying my fiance (US citizen) in just 3 weeks! I have been thinking about the last name issue and I really want to keep my last name as it is custom in my culture and family. Has anyone dealt with that at all? Is it a problem in the green card interview? Is it suspicious? I have heard so many stories that I'm freaking myself out, even though our marriage is real and we've been living together for a while. I just want to make sure everything is smooth.

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comment

You have a right to use any name you want, as long as you use it for honest purposes. You may have a valid reason to keep your own name, many people are reluctant to go through all the paperwork and don't want to deal with the process, it's up to you. Bona-fide intent cannot depend on a name (or even a joint account), many business partners have joint accounts and that doesn't mean they're intending to live as husband and wife. That's what CIS cares about (or should care about) as bona-fide intent is defined as the intent of the couple to "live together as husband and wife at the time of the insertion of the marriage". DO NOT try to manufacture evidence, be honest and forthcoming with the interviewer.
      You should consult with an attorney of directly with CIS.

-THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE-

Comment

I know plenty of Persian/Iranian women and people from other parts of the world that keep their Maiden names. I even know one woman who has it spelt different fom her family name - Aminaksharieh instead of Aminolsharieh. This was done in Sweden before they came to the US and has not raised a red flag so far!!

Comment

I wouldn't worry at all if you want to keep your last name. I am keeping mine. I'll have to keep my Canadian Passport,etc until I am an US Citizen. That will take several years. I think it is just easier to keep my name. I don't think I would ever consider a name change unless we have a child.

Comment

A name is a personal choice, that's what common law says. There may be many reasons to keep your maiden name, in reality, it all boils down to personal taste. I know a lady who, after being married for 12 years to her husband she still couldn't pronounce his last name. The husband agreed to change his name to a more common name for their convenience.
            In any case, this is not the 1800's... A name is nothing more than a personal choice and the law fully understands that. (or at least it should).
            If required to do so, you may want to explain your reasons for keeping your maiden name. You should be forthcoming and honest at all times.
            -THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE-

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input! I really appreciate it!

Comment

Huston is correct name is a personal matter, and no one care about it. In Muslim countries and more common in the Arab world that lady do not take husbands last name, as well as in US. If she dont want to change no one will force her to do.

Comment

taking someone's last name makes no different to the Immigration.We are not in the middle age...most women these days keep their last name.

To me as a man its not a big deal.Just like "most" famouse people.They all keep their own name.

I even know men,taking over the females last name.

If you change your name its also too muhc trouble and money consuming.

U have to update and change everyhting on all 3 credit agencies your name and update it.U need a new social security card, new license, new passport,new credit cards and charge cards updated with your new last name etc etc...

It can be a pain, and costly...so I d understand when people do not wanna get bothered with changing/ taking over a new name

Comment

Working...
                  X