Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MY BABY'S FATHER IS AMERICAN & MARRIED. WHAT CAN I DO?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MY BABY'S FATHER IS AMERICAN & MARRIED. WHAT CAN I DO?

Could someone tell me what are my options. I've been with my boyfriend now for two & a half years & we have a 9month old daughter. we have have been living together for about 1 year but he is married to someone who was once an illegal alien & he dosent think that he can get married again.

Could someone tell me what are my options. I've been with my boyfriend now for two & a half years & we have a 9month old daughter. we have have been living together for about 1 year but he is married to someone who was once an illegal alien & he dosent think that he can get married again.

Comment

Under the law, he can't get married so long as he still married to his wife. He can get married as many time as he wants provided that he gets a divorce from the previous one.

Comment

watch out i doubt this guy is being on the up and up, he probably just said that so can keep sleeping in both beds.

Comment

My boyfriend & his wife are seperated but she showed him a document saying that he cannot get married again to another illegal alien, so now he is scared to do it again with me but could someone tell me if what this docuement says is true & if so would it apply to me cause we already live together & have a baby. Thank you!

Comment

I doubt anyone can advise you until you know what the document is. Maybe his first marriage was closely scutinized by immigration and it's a court order preventing him from marrying another illegal aliens.

Your baby is irrelvant. Having a baby doens't give you an extra previlidge.

Comment

If the person does not want to marry the alien in good faith, the alien does not qualify for marriage-based immigration benefits. I say "does not want" because there's nothing preventing him from actually getting married. U.S. citizens enjoy freedom of association and excuses about some mysterious paper are simply fictitious. Freedom to marry is a constitutional matter, state law only regulates minimum requirements for people to get legally married.
              If the citizen was married before to an alien, specially very recently, both marriages will be looked at to make sure this person is not running some fraudulent operation, but that's it, there's no actual limitation imposed by law. (IMBRA limits the number of fiancee petitions in a two-year period but that's a different matter). If the marriage is bona-fide there's nothing to worry about.
              Since this is only an opinion, you may want to consult with an immigration lawyer and discuss the facts in depth.
              -THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE-

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by maggs:
                My boyfriend & his wife are seperated but she showed him a document saying that he cannot get married again to another illegal alien, so now he is scared to do it again with me but could someone tell me if what this docuement says is true & if so would it apply to me cause we already live together & have a baby. Thank you! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm very curious to know exactly what sort of document would mandate this..and more specifically what kind of document would assert that someone should not marry another unlawful alien. To the best of my knowledge nothing of the sort exists.
                The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.

Comment

okay ithought so myself but i guess our best option is to consult with an attorney.

Comment

ok houston thanks for your input

Comment

Working...
                    X