INFO ON ITIN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• INFO ON ITIN

Can someone please explain to me how to apply for ITIN for my spouse, who does not have a social security number at the moment, to enable us to file joint tax returns for our immigration purposes.How long thus it take to receive that number and is that number for both federal and state income tax?

Can someone please explain to me how to apply for ITIN for my spouse, who does not have a social security number at the moment, to enable us to file joint tax returns for our immigration purposes.How long thus it take to receive that number and is that number for both federal and state income tax?

Comment

Below is a link to the form that you need to fill out (W-7). You attach it to the front of your completed tax return. You must include two notorized copies of identification documents, one of which must have a picture. Any single or joint return using at least one ITIN is NOT eligible for the EIC (Earned Income Credit) Just leave the part of your tax return asking for your wife's social security number blank. You will mail it to a special department for the issuance of an ITIN. Once she is issued an ITIN, they will fill it into that space for her social security number on your return and forward the return for regular processing. She will get a letter with her ITIN, which will explain what it can and cannot be used for. It is good valid for tax purposes until she gets her social.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-fill/fw7.pdf
      Have a nice day

Comment

Working...
      X