Marry in the US or Hungary??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marry in the US or Hungary??

Does anyone know where we would get our paperwork quicker? I have dual citizenship, he has only Hungarian citizenship. We would like to be together in the States, just uncertain as to where it would be quicker to get all his paperwork. Marrying here in the States or in Hungary?
    Thanks!

Does anyone know where we would get our paperwork quicker? I have dual citizenship, he has only Hungarian citizenship. We would like to be together in the States, just uncertain as to where it would be quicker to get all his paperwork. Marrying here in the States or in Hungary?
    Thanks!

Comment

Hi Raindrop and welcome,

the fastest way to get GC is through direct consular filling. Contact (or check the web-site) the US embassy in Budapest and find out if they do DCF and what are the requirements.

Comment

Hi!
        Thanks for all the replies and the welcomes!
        I've heard so many different things. 50% say it's better and quicker in the US, 50% say better and quicker in Hungary. I'm confused!
        The US Embassy in Budapest said it was quicker in Hungary. Lawyers out here say that's BS and that it is better and quicker out here.
        Jeanine - Hello fellow Hungarian! I heard thru a few friends in Hungary that it was quicker to get married there.
        So I'm still stuck in 50/50. :-/

Comment

Where is your fiance now? In the US or Hungary? If in the US, what's his status?

"Applying at the Embassy ( Hungary )
          The U.S. Embassy in Budapest accepts petitions from U.S. citizens who are physically staying in Hungary. If the petition is executed at the Embassy, the consular officer may approve it. The fee for executing an I-130 petition is 185 USD.
          Please note: the petition must be filed by the U.S. citizen – in person!

In order to file a petition, the American citizen needs to present the following documents:

proof of citizenship;
          the marriage certificate; and
          evidence of termination of any prior marriages of either spouse
          Any documents in a foreign language must be accompanied by an official translation into English.

How long the application will take to process
          The total processing time for the alien spouse visa might take up to 2-3 years if the petition is filed with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) in the U.S. and subsequently forwarded via the National Visa Center to an Embassy overseas.
          Please note: If the petition is filed with the Embassy, the processing time is generally one month.

Last updated: 08/12/2005 "

I don't think it takes 2 - 3 years ( on average ).... but for sure it takes more than a month if one applys in the US to either bring his/her spouse ( CR-1, IR-1 visa ) to the US or for an alien to adjust status (if already in the US).

Comment

He is here with me in the US on a B1 visitor visa.
            Aneri, thanks for your help, but we are not married. My question was merely where we should get married.

Comment

Raindrop: "Does anyone know where we would get our paperwork quicker?"

I thought you were asking about post-marriage "paperwork" that would allow your husband to get a green card.

To do DCF, or apply for K3 or CF1 visa, it doesn't matter wheather you two get married in the US or Hungary. If marriage takes place in the US, your husband will have to return to Hungary to get immigrant visa.

Other option is you two get married in the US, and he applies for adjustment of status in the US, without leaving the US.

There are pros and cons for each rout.

Am I closer now? Or I am missing completely what you wanted to know...

Comment

Aneri...
                Thanks! That helped a bit more.
                Can you tell me what a DCF is?
                I guess you are right about the pros and cons of both.
                Thanks again!

Comment

DCF = Direct Concular Filing
                  Instead of having to wait for the I-130 to be processed in one of the Service Center and subsequent K visas to be issued, the consulate/embassy will do the processing themselves.

Check out:
                  http://www.kamya.com/intro/dcf.html
                  for more information and some testimonial to give you an idea.

Comment

Raindrop, This is Brigitta and I am hungarian too ..... Do not get marry in the US.. Because we did that, I was separated from my husband for 17 months..Just because we wanted to do everythin how it was suppose to be... I can give you all the details and process for hungary if you e-mail me at bratbrigi@yahoo.com
                    Brigitta

Comment

Hi Brigitta,

would you please share your experience here so more people can learn?

Thank you

Comment

Hi Brigitta,

I just read your story. I honestly hope things got sorted out finaly.

I don't think you had such a bad experience just because you got married in the US, but rather because of the processing times in NVC Vermont and some other circumstences. Just my opinion....

Comment

Hi Jeanine!
                          I got the answer I was looking for. Thanks to all! I will pass along the sok sikert. I'm sure he'll pass back koszonom szepen.
                          No worries about your excitement. Orulok, hogy taliztunk.
                          What is your story, by the way?
                          Take care all!

Comment

Raindrop if you do it in Hungary is less money and it may be faster...

Comment

Need help. Have question or concern feel free to call 212-289-4680 or e-mail us at bimmigration1702@yaahoo.com with any questions you may have

Comment

Working...
                              X