Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pls help, very urgent

Am a permanent resident who entered the USA legally on a k-1 visa. then married my USC fiance (now husband)within the 90 days. I just recently (12/07/20060 got my green card.Well me and my husband are planning on inviting my 20yr old brother to USA...and my question is, can we go ahead and invite him here as an immigrant and how easy will that be? please kindly advise me on the best way to invite my brother here permanently and legally.

Am a permanent resident who entered the USA legally on a k-1 visa. then married my USC fiance (now husband)within the 90 days. I just recently (12/07/20060 got my green card.Well me and my husband are planning on inviting my 20yr old brother to USA...and my question is, can we go ahead and invite him here as an immigrant and how easy will that be? please kindly advise me on the best way to invite my brother here permanently and legally.

Comment

Do u have any restrictions on ur GC? Does it have an expire Date? What is ur nationality?

Comment

.So kind of you to reply .My card reads,PERMANERT RESIDENT CARD EXPIRES 12/07/08. aM UGANDAN.

Comment

No, you cannot "invite" your brother to immigrate to America.

A U.S. Citizen can sponsor their siblings for immigration benefits, but because of the preference categories, the wait for an immigrant visa is many years. As a permanent resident, you cannot sponsor your siblings.

Given that your brother has immigrant intent, he will find it near-to-impossible to obtain a non-immigrant visa.

Comment

thanks for your advise sundevil.
            Are you trying to say...we should invite him thru a non-immigrate visa? And does this permit him to stay here legally for as long as he wants as we adjusts his status or does it have some conditions?
            pls reply

Comment

No it means that he can only come on a tourist visa to VISIT. It means that he cannot adjust his status and stay here indefinently. He does have conditions, he wont be able to work! And he will only be able to stay for a period of time defined on the tourist visa, visiting his sister. You are not a citizen that means u cannot sponsor him. When and if u become a citizen which can take anywhere between 3 and 5 years u may be able to petition him but that aswel can take many more years to complete.

Comment

KindHeart: Your brother can apply for a B-1/B-2 tourist visa, although his realistic chances of obtaining same are very low (he is a young, single male from a third-world country with a newly-immigrated sister).

If he is able to obtain said B-1/B-2 tourist visa, he can apply for entry to the United States. If allowed entry, he will most likely have an authorized stay of 180 days, although it could be less (at the sole discretion of the CBP officer at the port of entry).

During any stay in America, your brother will be unable to work, and he must leave before his period of authorized stay ends.

Neither you nor your husband can sponsor him to immigrate to the United States, although you will be able to do so upon obtaining U.S. Citizenship. The immigration process for siblings takes many years, and he will have to remain outside of the country during the process.

Comment

Another deceiving thread title. Nothing urgent about this one

The answer is simple. OP as LPR cannot sponsor her brother.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation