Simple question about Naturalization/I-400

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple question about Naturalization/I-400

Hello everyone,I have a quick question,I;ve made some research,but I am still confused,I will apply for the Naturalization pretty soon,I checked and I fulfill all the requirements,but I am lost in regards to my son,he will turn 17 this December,but I will apply before that,now for the question:
    Will he get the Citizenship automatically or he has to wait until he turns 18 and apply by himself?

Any input will be appreciated.
    LOVE HURTS...

Hello everyone,I have a quick question,I;ve made some research,but I am still confused,I will apply for the Naturalization pretty soon,I checked and I fulfill all the requirements,but I am lost in regards to my son,he will turn 17 this December,but I will apply before that,now for the question:
    Will he get the Citizenship automatically or he has to wait until he turns 18 and apply by himself?

Any input will be appreciated.
    LOVE HURTS...

Comment

On the day you become citizen, if your son is under 18, he gets derivative citizenship and he doesn't have to apply by himself. If it is after his 18th birthday then he needs to apply by himself.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Comment

Helps a lot,that's what I thought and exactly what I wanted to hear.
        Thank you !
        LOVE HURTS...

Comment

Chris is partially correct. The process is a little bit complicated, and it depends on several different factors, the primary one being whether or not your son is here as a legal permanent resident (green card holder).

If so, you will use form N-600 for him. He will not automatically become a citizen. You have to file for him.

Comment

Yes,he lives with me and we both have the PR's.
            See,that was the "confusion" I had before when I made my research,I was unsure about the I-600 b/c seems like it's more for adoptions cases,in my interpretation,was exactly like Chris posted,well I will research again and wait for more feedback here,thank's for posting.
            LOVE HURTS...

Comment

If your son has had his GC for five years, he can apply now along with your application. this may be the best yhing. After he is 18 it will be more difficult and there may be hold ups on the applications seeing as it is taking more time now for N-400 apps.

Comment

We both are three months and a half away from the 5th year anniversary of our cards...I know I have to list all the childrens I have,in this case it's only him,I didn't check the I-400 form yet,but I am assuming there is a field to write his A# also,right?
                LOVE HURTS...

Comment

Ok...I just printed out the N-400 forms and instructions,it does have a place to list childs and their respective A#.
                  I will step away from the computer and read it all,so far it seems logic,when I find out I'll post the results,just in case someone else need this answer in the future.
                  LOVE HURTS...

Comment

Working...
                  X