No announcement yet.

US citizen and Stepparents ?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • US citizen and Stepparents ?

    It is lawful for US citizen to apply I-130 for stepparents ?
    Thanks for your answer.

  • #2
    It is lawful for US citizen to apply I-130 for stepparents ?
    Thanks for your answer.


    • #3
      Katok, you may want to rethink your question.

      Is it lawful? I would think yes. USCIS is not going to put you in jail if you do.

      But will USCIS accept your application? Uhm, I am not sure. I say, read the carefully the form before you fill it out.


      • #4
        Not jail you... that's funny.

        Step OK, in-laws no good. Read Sphy's post below.

        If you file an I-130 for a parent-in-law, it will be denied. It is not an acceptable relationship for immigration.

        No refund.


        • #5
          Thanks for your answers.


          • #6
            Old Man's answer is incorrect. A USC can petition for a stepparent as long as the stepparent married your birth parent before you turned 18.

            If you are applying to bring your stepparent to the United States to live, you must file the following with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services:

            Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative (if you are filing for both parents, you must file a separate petition for each parent)
            A copy of your birth certificate showing your name and the names of your birth parents
            If you were not born in the U.S., a copy of either
            Your Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship or
            Your U.S. passport
            A copy of the civil marriage certificate of your birth parent to your stepparent showing that the marriage occurred before your 18th birthday
            A copy of any divorce decrees, death certificates, or annulment decrees that would verify the termination of any previous marriage(s) entered into by your birth parent or stepparent
            If anyone's name has been legally changed (differs from the name on his or her birth certificate), evidence of the name change must be provided.



            • #7
              Great googly moogly!!! What was I thinking!?!

              Change that to step OK, in-laws no good.

              Appreciate the correction Sphy.