Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax Help - Again

Hi,

I've browsed the tax topics in this forum, but I have another question.

What if an undocumented worker is using a different name with someone else's real social sec #?

Can he use an ITIN to file even if the name on the ITIN doesn't match the W-2?

Please don't attack or judge - I'm just looking for help.

Thanks,

Looking_For_Answers

Hi,

I've browsed the tax topics in this forum, but I have another question.

What if an undocumented worker is using a different name with someone else's real social sec #?

Can he use an ITIN to file even if the name on the ITIN doesn't match the W-2?

Please don't attack or judge - I'm just looking for help.

Thanks,

Looking_For_Answers

Comment

Hi..

I had the same question.. Alot of people believe that it is possible to work with a " fake " social # and then attempt to claim taxes on the ITIN... I actually consulted a few tax and IRS reps and from what they have told me that it is 100 % Illegal to do so if even possible in the first place.. I guess anything is possible to slide by maybe for a little while but eventually it will throw a red flag to the IRS... Hope that helps!

Comment

If you are using a real SSN with the same name as on the SSN and the W-2 then it's ok.

But if the SSN or the itin doesn't match with the w-2 then I would suggest not to file your taxes as it will raise a red flag.

The best thing to do is use the ssn and the name which is on the w-2 to file your taxes.
        I am not a lawyer nor do I claim to be one so please double-check any information given by me, or anyone else for that matter, with a certified (immigration)lawyer before you take any further steps

Comment

No, there is absolutly no way u can file. u're trying to get that refund check, but don't get ur hopes high. even if u do it urself, social security would send u a letter raising concern about the 2 different names. that would bring heat on u and u would have to quit the job u have cause they would send a letter to the employer too. forget about it....

Comment

Working...
          X