Quick question on lost passport

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick question on lost passport

My passport was lost in transit when I was sending it to my embassy to be renewed because it had expired. My country takes a long time to process passports so when it took more than 9 months to arrive I thought it was normal. However when I called the embassy to check on the status of my passport they said they never recieved it,The embassy is requiring me to file a police report before they will issue me a new one. How do I go about this and will I get into trouble for being so long in the US without a passport (1 year)through no fault of my own. Has anybody ever had to file a police report for a lost passport here. I have been an LPR here since 2002 and I have a valid green card.Thank you for your help in advance.

My passport was lost in transit when I was sending it to my embassy to be renewed because it had expired. My country takes a long time to process passports so when it took more than 9 months to arrive I thought it was normal. However when I called the embassy to check on the status of my passport they said they never recieved it,The embassy is requiring me to file a police report before they will issue me a new one. How do I go about this and will I get into trouble for being so long in the US without a passport (1 year)through no fault of my own. Has anybody ever had to file a police report for a lost passport here. I have been an LPR here since 2002 and I have a valid green card.Thank you for your help in advance.

Comment

I don't think you get in any trouble as long as you have some kind of ID on you (State ID, military ID,....) I never carry my passport with me, just other kinds of ID's.
      Just go to the police station, tell them you lost your passport, and ask them how to file the papers, they will tell you what to do.
      But may I ask how did you loose you passport? Did you just stuck in an envelope and sent it?
      Any kind of originals or important documents should be send certified, just for the future.

Comment

I sent it by certified mail but the stupid people at the embassy lost it or misplaced it when they moved to a new address. Thanks for your help I will use my green card and my military spouse ID to make the report.

Comment

Working...
        X