•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a shame !

This was passed to me:

US Marine guilty of raping Filipina, 3 others acquitted

ONE of four US Marines accused of raping a Filipina in Subic last year was found guilty while three others were acquitted by a local court Monday.

Lance Corporal Daniel Smith, 21, from St. Louis in Missouri, faces up to 40 years in prison following the verdict handed down by Judge Benjamin Pozon of Branch 139 of the Makati regional trial court (RTC).

He was also ordered to pay P50,000 in compensatory and P50,000 in moral damages.

Meanwhile, the court acquitted Lance Corporals Keith Silkwood and Dominic Duplantis and Staff Sergeant Chad Carpentier for lack of evidence.

Pozon ruled on the case 23 days before the one-year deadline under the Visiting Forces Agreement to finish the case or return the Marines to US jurisdiction would have expired.

"Nicole," a court-appointed pseudonym, had accused Smith of raping her at the Subic Bay Freeport on Nov. 1, 2005 while the other three allegedly cheered him on.

Smith had claimed that the *** act was "consensual." Instead, he became the first American soldier to be convicted of wrongdoing since the Philippine Senate ordered US bases shut down in the early 1990s and joint training was established under a treaty, the Visiting Forces Agreement, in 1998.

Attorney Ricardo Diaz, Smith's lawyer, appealed to the court that his client be allowed to remain in the custody of the US embassy while his case was being appealed but Judge Pozon denied the lawyer's motion twice.

"Rape as a harrowing experience is not remembered in detail. It casts a stigma upon the victim. Rape is a grave physical violation and it subjects the woman's honor to scorn," said the lengthy verdict, read by a court employee as the proceedings were televised live nationwide.

In his ruling, Pozon gave credence to the testimony of Gerald Muyot, the security guard from Neptune Bar who had witnessed Smith carry "Nicole" on his back out of the bar.

The court also took note of the testimony of Joseph Khonghun, who saw Smith and Silkwood unloading "Nicole" out of the van to the Alava pier where they left her.

"This court has no reason to doubt the foregoing testimonies of said witnesses...Evidence clearly showed accused Smith took advantage of the intoxication of the complainant in perpetrating the subject felony.

So, even though there was no direct evidence to show that the crime of rape was committed, the circumstantial evidence shows otherwise," the court said.

This was passed to me:

ONE of four US Marines accused of raping a Filipina in Subic last year was found guilty while three others were acquitted by a local court Monday.

Lance Corporal Daniel Smith, 21, from St. Louis in Missouri, faces up to 40 years in prison following the verdict handed down by Judge Benjamin Pozon of Branch 139 of the Makati regional trial court (RTC).

He was also ordered to pay P50,000 in compensatory and P50,000 in moral damages.

Meanwhile, the court acquitted Lance Corporals Keith Silkwood and Dominic Duplantis and Staff Sergeant Chad Carpentier for lack of evidence.

Pozon ruled on the case 23 days before the one-year deadline under the Visiting Forces Agreement to finish the case or return the Marines to US jurisdiction would have expired.

"Nicole," a court-appointed pseudonym, had accused Smith of raping her at the Subic Bay Freeport on Nov. 1, 2005 while the other three allegedly cheered him on.

Smith had claimed that the *** act was "consensual." Instead, he became the first American soldier to be convicted of wrongdoing since the Philippine Senate ordered US bases shut down in the early 1990s and joint training was established under a treaty, the Visiting Forces Agreement, in 1998.

Attorney Ricardo Diaz, Smith's lawyer, appealed to the court that his client be allowed to remain in the custody of the US embassy while his case was being appealed but Judge Pozon denied the lawyer's motion twice.

"Rape as a harrowing experience is not remembered in detail. It casts a stigma upon the victim. Rape is a grave physical violation and it subjects the woman's honor to scorn," said the lengthy verdict, read by a court employee as the proceedings were televised live nationwide.

In his ruling, Pozon gave credence to the testimony of Gerald Muyot, the security guard from Neptune Bar who had witnessed Smith carry "Nicole" on his back out of the bar.

The court also took note of the testimony of Joseph Khonghun, who saw Smith and Silkwood unloading "Nicole" out of the van to the Alava pier where they left her.

"This court has no reason to doubt the foregoing testimonies of said witnesses...Evidence clearly showed accused Smith took advantage of the intoxication of the complainant in perpetrating the subject felony.

So, even though there was no direct evidence to show that the crime of rape was committed, the circumstantial evidence shows otherwise," the court said.

Comment

she was asking for it; any woman would love to have a U.S. Marine !

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by macyuhoo:
        This was passed to me:

So, even though there was no direct evidence to show that the crime of rape was committed, the circumstantial evidence shows otherwise," the court said. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
        The other three marines and the Filipino male that was aquitted should never have been tried. The Marine who allegedly committed the crime should be sent to an Article 32 hearing and ultimately a court martial if there is evidence by disobeying the general standing orders for the marines there. However, I was disappointed that only circumstantial evidence was only used, and not direct evidence. This type of case may make it look like a relationship gone sour instead of rape.
        "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

I will never forgive the man myself and I hope I can find out where he lives so I can make his life a living hell. They are acting like they are saying "go ahead with your little
          trial if it makes you feel better but once he is back in the states he will be a celebrity and we want our kids to be just like him." The US has no respect for life of any kind and they think that women are only *** objects (unless they are voting at the time).

After the conviction comes the question of custody. The US is fighting so hard to take custody of this Smith. Actually if the US formally seeks custody of Smith they have 120 days from the request to decide otherwise custody does go to the US. But in order to get custody the Philippines has to say that this is not an important issue for them to hold him. Since there are no security issues regarding either country it all comes down to if the Philippines consider rape that important or just symbolic to have the defendants on trial and found guilty for the record only. If they give custody over to the US that is like saying "we talk bad about rapist but it isn't worth our time to hold them ourselves". It should be considered a worthy case to hold Smith in the Philippines because of not only human rights but for the sake of finally putting an end (or showing you will stand against it) the centuries of rape by foreign military personel. Everyone knows if they send him to the US to serve time in jail they will let him go due to overcrowding. And if he is put in Military Jail they will also let him out because they need the body count.....I' m sorry "personel" to fight this war on terror. So in reality he will pay a half months pay in retribution and serve maybe a couple of months in military custody and then go on his way. And believe it or not Smith might go back to the philippines again later.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by macyuhoo:
            I will never forgive the man myself and I hope I can find out where he lives so I can make his life a living hell. They are acting like they are saying "go ahead with your little
            trial if it makes you feel better but once he is back in the states he will be a celebrity and we want our kids to be just like him." The US has no respect for life of any kind and they think that women are only *** objects (unless they are voting at the time). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
            It is not important whether you should forgive the man or not, Macy. You were not involved directly or indirectly. Allow the Justice system, either filipino or US or both, take the issue and be done with it. Rape, unfortuneately, is a common occurance in the Philippines, but not just with US, Western, or even Japanese men. Filipino men have done the same bloody thing. Furthermore, if one is court martialed for any offense under the UCMJ, it will be difficult for the person to find a job. On top of that, he will be listed as a registered *** offender in some states. Do not make gross generalization statements about US or the US culture. For instance, under Filipino law, the law is more gnererous to the alleged purputrator than to the victim. Asiaweek has a good story about the problem of gang rape in the Philippines, and not just with US service personell. It happens the main purputrators are Filipino men, not foreigners, Macy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">After the conviction comes the question of custody. The US is fighting so hard to take custody of this Smith. Actually if the US formally seeks custody of Smith they have 120 days from the request to decide otherwise custody does go to the US. But in order to get custody the Philippines has to say that this is not an important issue for them to hold him. Since there are no security issues regarding either country it all comes down to if the Philippines consider rape that important or just symbolic to have the defendants on trial and found guilty for the record only. If they give custody over to the US that is like saying "we talk bad about rapist but it isn't worth our time to hold them ourselves". It should be considered a worthy case to hold Smith in the Philippines because of not only human rights but for the sake of finally putting an end (or showing you will stand against it) the centuries of rape by foreign military personel. Everyone knows if they send him to the US to serve time in jail they will let him go due to overcrowding. And if he is put in Military Jail they will also let him out because they need the body count.....I' m sorry "personel" to fight this war on terror. So in reality he will pay a half months pay in retribution and serve maybe a couple of months in military custody and then go on his way. And believe it or not Smith might go back to the philippines again later. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
            YOu are forgetting the due process of law here. His attorney has the obligation to file any appeals process deemed under Filipino law. The law does not exclude Americans or any other natinoality simply because of the type of crime. If the Filipino court grants such a request, it will be the Filipino court under the rule of law, not the US embassy. You have a lot to learn about law and due process of any country.
            "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

Actually I looked up the agreement signed for visiting foreign military armies. I did get one thing wrong a typo.
              It isn't 120 days it is 20 days.

"Recognizing the responsibility of the United States military
              authorities to maintain good order and discipline among their forces, Philippine authorities will, upon request by the United States, waive their primary right to exercise jurisdiction except in cases of particular importance to the Philippines. If the Government of the Philippines determines that the case is of particular importance, it shall communicate such determination to the United States authorities within twenty (20) days after the Philippine authorities receive the United States request."

So is this of particular importance or not?

Yes, they have an appeal but if the Philippine government allows US custody no appeal would be needed since he will most likely walk anyway. But until the decision is made over the appeal it does not hurt to use the treaty as a negotiating tool.

I don't know what is worse. The rape itself or when people get complacent and say "that is a common occurance". I was not affected directly but I was affected indirectly. It gives me a bad name as a man and as an American.
              Why are people defending her then? None of them were involved directly or indirectly. They are standing up because it affects there family down the road. Do you live in America? I do not comment that the Philippine people are all great. But America is filled with hatred and racism as well as stereotypes. Mexicans are seen as cheap labor,Asian are seen as *** items and/or taking over industry, Whites are seen as controlling and Blacks are seen as trouble. Not by me but if you watch people you will see this all the time. It is everywhere. If you seen 20 American men at a bar there and they were leaving
              with 10 to 15 philippine women are you saying part of you won't be suspicious now? They may be their girlfriends but that isn't what people think.

I love the Philippines very much but can I visit dangerous areas like Mindanao? Not likely. What if I walked down the street in a nice suit and watch? Mugged. Why are men being druged and then taken to a hotel to have pictures
              taken with minors? Money. Who are the primary targets? Americans mostly (but not exclusively) . Why? It is the image of "Americans". Yes it happens a lot but why not fight it as a society too.

Justice systems all over the world are falling apart. As long as people rely on "laws" and "government" to make them feel safe they will have more law breakers and criminals of every type of crime. I am not trying to make it personal but instead people who rape always do it again until they are killed. I know this. It happens all the time in America and the rest of the world. When the law finds the person guilty and then lets him out to do it again how can we have faith in the "law"? Not neccessarily so about the job issue.
              I have known people to be court martialed and they still found good jobs. It depends on when they are court martialed (how many years in the military) because they can say they were not in the military if they were not in that long. Plus how many people use different identities to get a job or loan? I know one guy who is a registered *** offender and the city does not know he lives there.
              Plus he has a good job and visitation rights for his daughter (he was convicted of molesting his 2 nieces). Where was the justice? Where is the law? Americans glorify it the most, but you are right not just Americans
              rape. But I did not mean that America is the only one doing this. I am just saying the America is treating this case as "so what" and they just want to sweep it under the rug as soon as possible. Because they are American Soldiers that is why I say America does this all the time. But as with any crime people learn from others all the time. Any man (regardless of nationality) see people get away with rape
              will think they can too.

When people don't know about the consequences they will always break laws and do what they want to. They will also break laws if it is seen as a joke. And lately women all over the world are seen only as *** items. Everywhere I go I see people trying to do everything "American" and
              it does not work. How many people want to be like Amsterdam, France, England or Russia? More want the American money, the American Fame and fortune, The
              American lifestyle. Yes some people like the lifestyle of their home country but it must be noticed that how many of these things happened before any foreigner came there?
              And when it did happen what was the punishment? In america they use to hang people a long long time ago for even simple theft. But thank God for laws. Now there are more thefts and less being done about it. And when it comes to *** related court martials we know how that
              works out. Tail Hook, The Air Force Academy in
              Colorado,etc. . These men are still in the military. And just because they are convicted in the philippines does not mean they will even be charged in the UCMJ.

Comment

Actually I looked up the agreement signed for visiting foreign military armies. I did get one thing wrong a typo.
                It isn't 120 days it is 20 days.

"Recognizing the responsibility of the United States military
                authorities to maintain good order and discipline among their forces, Philippine authorities will, upon request by the United States, waive their primary right to exercise jurisdiction except in cases of particular importance to the Philippines. If the Government of the Philippines determines that the case is of particular importance, it shall communicate such determination to the United States authorities within twenty (20) days after the Philippine authorities receive the United States request."

So is this of particular importance or not?

Yes, they have an appeal but if the Philippine government allows US custody no appeal would be needed since he will most likely walk anyway. But until the decision is made over the appeal it does not hurt to use the treaty as a negotiating tool.

I don't know what is worse. The rape itself or when people get complacent and say "that is a common occurance". I was not affected directly but I was affected indirectly. It gives me a bad name as a man and as an American.
                Why are people defending her then? None of them were involved directly or indirectly. They are standing up because it affects there family down the road. Do you live in America? I do not comment that the Philippine people are all great. But America is filled with hatred and racism as well as stereotypes. Mexicans are seen as cheap labor,Asian are seen as *** items and/or taking over industry, Whites are seen as controlling and Blacks are seen as trouble. Not by me but if you watch people you will see this all the time. It is everywhere. If you seen 20 American men at a bar there and they were leaving
                with 10 to 15 philippine women are you saying part of you won't be suspicious now? They may be their girlfriends but that isn't what people think.

I love the Philippines very much but can I visit dangerous areas like Mindanao? Not likely. What if I walked down the street in a nice suit and watch? Mugged. Why are men being druged and then taken to a hotel to have pictures
                taken with minors? Money. Who are the primary targets? Americans mostly (but not exclusively) . Why? It is the image of "Americans". Yes it happens a lot but why not fight it as a society too.

Justice systems all over the world are falling apart. As long as people rely on "laws" and "government" to make them feel safe they will have more law breakers and criminals of every type of crime. I am not trying to make it personal but instead people who rape always do it again until they are killed. I know this. It happens all the time in America and the rest of the world. When the law finds the person guilty and then lets him out to do it again how can we have faith in the "law"? Not neccessarily so about the job issue.
                I have known people to be court martialed and they still found good jobs. It depends on when they are court martialed (how many years in the military) because they can say they were not in the military if they were not in that long. Plus how many people use different identities to get a job or loan? I know one guy who is a registered *** offender and the city does not know he lives there.
                Plus he has a good job and visitation rights for his daughter (he was convicted of molesting his 2 nieces). Where was the justice? Where is the law? Americans glorify it the most, but you are right not just Americans
                rape. But I did not mean that America is the only one doing this. I am just saying the America is treating this case as "so what" and they just want to sweep it under the rug as soon as possible. Because they are American Soldiers that is why I say America does this all the time. But as with any crime people learn from others all the time. Any man (regardless of nationality) see people get away with rape
                will think they can too.

When people don't know about the consequences they will always break laws and do what they want to. They will also break laws if it is seen as a joke. And lately women all over the world are seen only as *** items. Everywhere I go I see people trying to do everything "American" and
                it does not work. How many people want to be like Amsterdam, France, England or Russia? More want the American money, the American Fame and fortune, The
                American lifestyle. Yes some people like the lifestyle of their home country but it must be noticed that how many of these things happened before any foreigner came there?
                And when it did happen what was the punishment? In america they use to hang people a long long time ago for even simple theft. But thank God for laws. Now there are more thefts and less being done about it. And when it comes to *** related court martials we know how that
                works out. Tail Hook, The Air Force Academy in
                Colorado,etc. . These men are still in the military. And just because they are convicted in the philippines does not mean they will even be charged in the UCMJ. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
                Macy,
                The treaty section you looked up is very standard with "visiting forces" acts located around the globe. These treaties are also reciprocal; that is they work both ways if Filipino forces visit the US for exercises, etc.

The protestors, most of them anyway, are basically protesting against the US for ANY reason. The litmus test would be if those same people would protest if the purputrator was Filipino. Most will probably not do so and may take the opposite argument that "she had it comeing," which is a prevelent theme amoung Filipino men and women. The question you need to ask yourself is "should there be any difference in my opinion whether a Filipino man or an American man commits the rape and is found guilty by the judicial process?"

Finally, when it comes to the tailhook scandal and the the Air Force Academy scandal, a lot of officers were directly affected. Some were court martialed, most careers were derailed (which is like a slow death sentence), and others were sent to jail.
                PBS Report
                As for the Air Force Academy's rape issue, that is still being resolved. The first step was taken by the Inspector general of the Air Force. It has been effectively dropped by Congress and the Pentagon, but there are still a lot of missing pieces of information. Before we start having people swing in the gallows, let us get all the facts first and not just what is being reported by the press. They normally tell only one side of the issue and never all the facts.

Comment

BECAUSE IT IS A COMMON OCCURENCE, THE POSITION MARK ESTRELLA TAKES IS IT IS OKAY. NO HARM DONE. IT IS NOT AN INJUSTICE. NOBODY SUFFER. SO, THEREFORE, CONTINUE THE RIGODON. THIS , I THINK, IS A REFLECTION OF THE LACK OF CONSCIENCE IN MEN. FORGET TALKING ABOUT HOLY SPIRIT. THERE IS NONE WHAT SO EVER OF THAT MATTER. 'GOOD SPIRIT, HOLY SPIRIT, RIGHT AND WRONG...DO NOT MATTER ANYMORE IN THESE DAYS AND TIME OF RELATIVISM. THEY ARE MERELY A PIGMENTATION OF HUMAN BRAIN. HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE TO TURN THIS CIVILIZATION INTO A JUNGLE WHERE THE MIGHT OF THE MIGHTY BECOMES THE LAW AND THAT LIFE BECOMES NOTHING BUT BECOMES MERELY A MATTER OF FACT: ONE WITHOUT ANY MORE VALUE THAN A LOWLY COCKROACH.

Sorry for the above cap letters. Anyway, I am taking the position that both are worst: rape and the callousness of the society that takes that crime like an ordinary occurence, and hence, should not be treated seriously. They both defy and violate the nature of human beings as created... We were endowed with intelligence far above and beyond
                  other creatures. We have, collectively, the power to control our destiny because we are created with conscience that helps direct our sense of right and wrong. If we fail to use or reflect on and make decisions according to this conscience.. .then, I repeat, we are abdicating that responsibilites that go with the superlative attributes of men that make us exceedingly far above that of animals. Then we do not deserve any better than to be treated like
                  animals. Then we don't need a government and a society that move in tandem according to the rule of law rooted from the conscience of what is right and what is wrong. We can stop debating anymore if everything is relative and without absolute value to hold on or base our human behavior.

Comment

Correction: I mentioned Mark Estrella 'cause I was referring to another guy who shared my opinion. We were discussing the rape case in another e-group.

Comment

Correction again: The above first paragraph was actually intended for Hudson. Sorry I accidentally used cap letters.

Comment

In response to your last comments, I agree. All treaties are reciprocal and they should be. But this "litmus test" is kind of crazy. People (no matter what nationality) tend to think one sided anyway. If a someone from another country (or race) rapes a woman the "race" of the woman raped will want blood, while if the race was the same they think "they had it coming" or "she deserved it". Does that make it right? No!!!

I don't care what the nationality of the rapist is.
                        Rape is rape and should not be tolerated. Rape happens all the time. And so does murder, robbery, government corruption, censorship, drugs, etc.. So why fight them?
                        Because it is the right thing to do. A man who sees something wrong and does nothing to fix it can not call himself a man.

True, there should be no difference in whether it is a Philippine or American man found guilty of such a charge.
                        But if someone is found guilty in America they should be held in America. If they are found guilty in the Philippines they should be held in The Philippines. What about this one case in America where a girl (underaged) wanted a "partial birth abortion" she was allowed to go to Kansas (where it
                        is legal) to have it done? In essence the court in the area bypassed their own laws against such a procedure in order to sanction it to have it done anyways. But who was the father of the fetus? Her own brother. They were from another country. What did they want to do to the brother?
                        Send him back to his country. He was terrified at such a prospect. They would have killed him for having *** with his own sister in his country. Some people say good.
                        But the thing is. If it is illegal in the place he is that is
                        where he should serve his time. When someone in the military is court martialed it usually does end their career (but only their military career).

They can still get a job as a cop, lawyer, doctor, etc..
                        You know how many politicians in America have criminal history? And what does that tell you when Congress and especially the Pentagon effectively dropped the issue of the scandal? They did not stop when Bill Clinton had *** (consensual) but they did stop on cases of rape.
                        I can tolerate alot in this world. But there are only 2 things I do not tolerate. Rape and harming a child. I do believe in spanking but that is the most I would do to a child. Kids should be kids and disciplined but not molested or raped or
                        physically injured. And rapist are the second lowest life forms on this planet in my opinion. What good are laws there if they do not serve time there?

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation