X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French/American wedding - Help required

Hi everybody!

I found out about this forum a few hours ago, and I've been reading as much as I can to find answers to my questions.

Let me tell you my story:
    I'm French , and in 2005 I met my girlfriend. We lived together for a while in Jersey and she had a job opportunity in Illinois. At the same time my J-1 expired so I had to go back to France. after 18 months, I decided to quit my job in France and with the money I saved, to come back and visit her.
    It's official now, we can't leave without each other and we decided to get married!

So I look on line to find out how to do it and ... Now I need your help !.

Let me tell you what I think we have to do:
    Prior to getting married in the US I need to declare it to the French Authorities.
    - Letter signed by both of us to declare the wedding
    - Copies of our Birth Certificates
    - Copy of my French ID
    - Proof of residence (bills, invoices, lease agreement...)
    - Paperwork from a French doctor certified by the French Embassy (working in the US).

Once we have done this we have to wait for 10 days to process. Then we get a new paper which allows us to get married with a certified person (again).
    - Get a marriage license at the county courthouse
    - Find the right person to marry us.

Once we are married, we have to go back to the French Embassy to translate in French the fact we are married. We need:
    - Wedding Translation Form (in French)
    - Birth Certificates
    - A Certified Copy of Marriage Certificate
    - The Paper they gave us after the 10 day process
    - A proof of nationality
    - A prepaid envelop (express mail)

Do you think I forgot something?
    I contacted a lawyer to help us out because even if there is a lot of things to do, I want to make sure they are done properly.

What I don't know after is what to do, when to do it...
    I heard about the following forms:
    - I-130: Petition for Alien Relative
    - I-485: US Citizenship Appliance
    - I-751: Petition to remove Conditions on Residence
    - I-765: Application for Employment Authorization
    - I-864: Affidavit of support Under Section 213A of the Act
    - G-325A: Biographic Information

Could you tell me more about the interrogation process because I don't know when I will have to face these people, and when they will take my fingerprints? When Can I send the different forms to the American administration? Do I have to enclose some paperwork to them?

Thank you for your help, because I'm a little bit lost and afraid of what I will have to go through.
    Bonne journee tout le monde !

Hi everybody!

I found out about this forum a few hours ago, and I've been reading as much as I can to find answers to my questions.

I'm French , and in 2005 I met my girlfriend. We lived together for a while in Jersey and she had a job opportunity in Illinois. At the same time my J-1 expired so I had to go back to France. after 18 months, I decided to quit my job in France and with the money I saved, to come back and visit her.
    It's official now, we can't leave without each other and we decided to get married!

Prior to getting married in the US I need to declare it to the French Authorities.
    - Copy of my French ID
    - Paperwork from a French doctor certified by the French Embassy (working in the US).

Once we have done this we have to wait for 10 days to process. Then we get a new paper which allows us to get married with a certified person (again).

Once we are married, we have to go back to the French Embassy to translate in French the fact we are married. We need:
    - Birth Certificates
    - A proof of nationality

I contacted a lawyer to help us out because even if there is a lot of things to do, I want to make sure they are done properly.

Could you tell me more about the interrogation process because I don't know when I will have to face these people, and when they will take my fingerprints? When Can I send the different forms to the American administration? Do I have to enclose some paperwork to them?

Thank you for your help, because I'm a little bit lost and afraid of what I will have to go through.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frenchy:
      - <STRIKE>I-751: Petition to remove conditions on residence</STRIKE>

Could you tell me more about the interrogation process because I don't know when I will have to face these people, and when they will take my fingerprints? When Can I send the different forms to the American administration? Do I have to enclose some paperwork to them? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any 2 year foreign residence requirement, 212(e), attached to your J visa?

Can't help you with the requirements French Authorities may have regarding marrying in the US... but for the US part, call the local marriage license office. One ID document (passport) used to be all they wanted to issue the license.

After the marriage, and when you have marriage certificate, you send the forms you mentioned (excluding I-751) to USCIS (Chicago?). You may want to look into including I-131 Advance Parole (allows applicant to travel outside the US and return while the adjustment of status is pending).

Instructions on the forms will tell you what kind of supporting documents you need to include.

How long it takes to get the interview depends on where you live.

Interrogation process?? Most people wouldn't describe it that way. Anyhow, you may be "interrogated" about your intentions when you entered the US on VWP.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aneri:
        Any 2 year foreign residence requirement, 212(e), attached to your J visa? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
        Now I came back just with a tourist visa. It will expires at the end of the month.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">After the marriage, and when you have marriage certificate, you send the forms you mentioned (excluding I-751) to USCIS (Chicago?). You may want to look into including I-131 Advance Parole (allows applicant to travel outside the US and return while the adjustment of status is pending). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
        I have to send all of them except I-751.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">How long it takes to get the interview depends on where you live. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
        Do I need to wait for the interview to start working?
        <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Interrogation process?? Most people wouldn't describe it that way. Anyhow, you may be "interrogated" about your intentions when you entered the US on VWP. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
        I read that the questions were tricky to detect a fraud marriage. I'm not very confortable with it because it's not possible to know everything about the other one, they have over 100 questions !

What about the fingerprints? they will ask me to go just for that or is it at the same time they question me?
        How will they contact me to set up an appointment?

Thank you for your help Aneri

Comment

Some J visas are issued with the condition that the person will return to home country for 2 years after being in the US. That was my question. Make sure you are not required to fulfill that.

After you send the papers, you'll receive Notice of Action for each petition in the mail. You'll also receive a fingerprinting appointment letter. Normaly, Employment authorisation document (no interview for that) is issued within 90 days. After that (and getting SSN), you can start working. And then you'll be waiting for the interview to Adjust status (AOS).

Comment

Was this to give someone a headache!!!

- Copy of my French ID

Why do u need all of the above?
            - Birth Certificates
            - A proof of nationality

where are u wanting to live? Why are u going to a french doctor? U have to have a medical authorised from the USCIS.

Are u in the USA Now??? are u returning to France to get married or are u staying in the states? Are u filling all the paperwork out in the states and applying here? If so u have chaos?

You dont need to declare it to the french authorities. WHY?
            Why a letter declaring the wedding?
            Paperwork from a french doctor certified by the french embassy.. WRONG how about a sealed envelope containing ur medical from a CERTIFIED USCIS DOCTOR. They dont accept anything from other doctors.

Why do u need need to go back to french embassy to translate in french that u are married?? You want to be in the States dont u?&gt;???? so why go to the embassy to translate ???

This is all such an easy process I am in awe how u are making it so difficult.

You are here in the states. You go to the court house to get a marriage license. You will need to take with u ur passport. Your future spouse needs her ss card and a form of id and or birth certificate.

3 days later u get the license to get married.

within 30 days u must get married. You will get the marriage certificate there and then.

Go home fill out the following forms I130, I485, I864, I765 G325a. Phone the USCIS 0800 Number, and listen after giving in ur zip code for prompts for the doctor in ur area authorised to do the medical. Phone around and get the cheapest! They range in price and its all the same thing. Are ur vaccinations up to date? MMR, TB, Chicken pox, tetnus?

Copy ur passport, marriage certificate,I94, and anything else it tells u to send, DO NOT SEND ORIGINALS !! and post it with the forms filled out, with the CORRECT FEE. Send it off.

I find ur questions considering u are letting a lawyer deal with it amazing!!!

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aneri:
              Some J visas are issued with the condition that the person will return to home country for 2 years after being in the US. That was my question. Make sure you are not required to fulfill that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
              Maybe you can't obtain 2 J visas within 2 years after the end of the first one. I hope it won't be a problem. I left for 18 months basically.
              <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">After you send the papers, you'll receive Notice of Action for each petition in the mail. You'll also receive a fingerprinting appointment letter. Normaly, Employment authorisation document (no interview for that) is issued within 90 days. After that (and getting SSN), you can start working. And then you'll be waiting for the interview to Adjust status (AOS). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
              I already have my SSN (issued in 2004), but I need to wait for any Employment Authorization document before starting to work ???

Thanks again Aneri

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ntfd3:
                Was this to give someone a headache!!!

- Copy of my French ID

Why do u need all of the above?
                - Birth Certificates
                - A proof of nationality

where are u wanting to live? Why are u going to a french doctor? U have to have a medical authorised from the USCIS.

Are u in the USA Now??? are u returning to France to get married or are u staying in the states? Are u filling all the paperwork out in the states and applying here? If so u have chaos?

You dont need to declare it to the french authorities. WHY?
                Why a letter declaring the wedding?
                Paperwork from a french doctor certified by the french embassy.. WRONG how about a sealed envelope containing ur medical from a CERTIFIED USCIS DOCTOR. They dont accept anything from other doctors.

Why do u need need to go back to french embassy to translate in french that u are married?? You want to be in the States dont u?&gt;???? so why go to the embassy to translate ???

This is all such an easy process I am in awe how u are making it so difficult.

You are here in the states. You go to the court house to get a marriage license. You will need to take with u ur passport. Your future spouse needs her ss card and a form of id and or birth certificate.

3 days later u get the license to get married.

within 30 days u must get married. You will get the marriage certificate there and then.

Go home fill out the following forms I130, I485, I864, I765 G325a. Phone the USCIS 0800 Number, and listen after giving in ur zip code for prompts for the doctor in ur area authorised to do the medical. Phone around and get the cheapest! They range in price and its all the same thing. Are ur vaccinations up to date? MMR, TB, Chicken pox, tetnus?

Copy ur passport, marriage certificate,I94, and anything else it tells u to send, DO NOT SEND ORIGINALS !! and post it with the forms filled out, with the CORRECT FEE. Send it off.

I find ur questions considering u are letting a lawyer deal with it amazing!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
                Basically, I have do get married "twice". Of course I get married in the USA under the american laws but because I'm French, I have to declare to my country that I'm getting married, which is the same process that I was getting married in France...

I have to check out if my French doctor is approved also by the USCIS because I have to pay $165 (for my "wife" and I) so I would like to avoid 2 consultations. So I soon as I get married I can fill up the forms.

Thanks, for all the information. By the way, my fiancee has a copy for the moment of her SS card (she has her passport) is it enough ???
                I have an appointment with the attorney on tuesday, because my fiancee wants to clarify everything. I will fill up the forms to make sure I did not miss anything crucial. She needs to be reassure about the "interrogation process" because she is afraid of failing and me to get rejected and then send back to my contry, which is not obviously what we want

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frenchy:
                  Hi everybody!

- Copy of my French ID

- Birth Certificates
                  - A proof of nationality

Thank you for your help, because I'm a little bit lost and afraid of what I will have to go through. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I smell a rat. Your English is way too perfect for you to be French. I speak French - you in no way convey that you are a French person. What gives? Tell us the truth.

Comment

Some J visas are issued with the condition that the person will return to home country for 2 years after being in the US. That was my question. Make sure you are not required to fulfill that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
                    Maybe you can't obtain 2 J visas within 2 years after the end of the first one. I hope it won't be a problem. I left for 18 months basically.
                    </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

don't think we understand each other well enough on this issue

Take a look at the bottom of http://discuss.ilw.com/eve/forums/a/.../m/39810639731 for the post by tomk. Among other things, he has a problem with J visa and "2 year foreign residence requirement"

Yes, you are not authorised to work in the US without EAD. When you become permanent resident, get green card, you don't need EAD any more.

Comment

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

don't think we understand each other well enough on this issue

Take a look at the bottom of http://discuss.ilw.com/eve/forums/a/.../m/39810639731 for the post by tomk. Among other things, he has a problem with J visa and "2 year foreign residence requirement"

Yes, you are not authorised to work in the US without EAD. When you become permanent resident, get green card, you don't need EAD any more. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
                      Thanks for the link, I will take a look
                      It means that I won't be able to work for 3 whole months... My bank account won't like it

I will give you updates about the "French Part" of my hassle

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ProudUSC:
                        I smell a rat. Your English is way too perfect for you to be French. I speak French - you in no way convey that you are a French person. What gives? Tell us the truth. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
                        Hi ProudUSC

Let me tell you something. I'm a real French guy. The first post was important to me, so I asked my girlfriend to take a look at it to correct mistakes (I don't think she changed a lot of things )
                        I'm a real fan of your language, and I spent a few months in Wales, and 18 months with my J-1 visa a few years ago. I've been here for 2 months, maybe that's why I can sound "too perfect". I consider your post as a compliment even If I'm far to speak with an important and wide vocabulary. When I talk, you can say that I have an accent but you can really find out from which country I'm from
                        I make a lot of efforts to correct it... I may waste my time try to
                        If you wanna talk to me in French, I would love to chat with you You are proud to be a USC, I'm proud to be French and more precisely Breton (North West of France).

Have a good weekend You made my day !!!

EDIT: My girlfriend's just read your post and said: "This is too funny "

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ProudUSC:
                          I smell a rat. Your English is way too perfect for you to be French. I speak French - you in no way convey that you are a French person. What gives? Tell us the truth. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
                          Hi ProudUSC

Let me tell you something. I'm a real French guy. The first post was important to me, so I asked my girlfriend to take a look at it to correct mistakes (I don't think she changed a lot of things )
                          I'm a real fan of your language, and I spent a few months in Wales, and 18 months with my J-1 visa a few years ago. I've been here for 2 months, maybe that's why I can sound "too perfect". I consider your post as a compliment even If I'm far to speak with an important and wide vocabulary. When I talk, you can say that I have an accent but you can really find out from which country I'm from
                          I make a lot of efforts to correct it... I may waste my time try to
                          If you wanna talk to me in French, I would love to chat with you You are proud to be a USC, I'm proud to be French and more precisely Breton (North West of France).

Have a good weekend You made my day !!!

EDIT: My girlfriend's just read your post and said: "This is too funny " </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm glad I made your day. I actually read and write French better than speak it. I took it from Grade 4 through 12 - never could get the hang of speaking it. So, if this is for real, I applaud you for your command of the English language. I'm ready to say 'Welcome to the USA'! Bon soir!

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I-130: Petition for Alien Relative
                            - G-325A: Biographic Information </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

First of all, what you have to do for French governement is totally irrelevant to the immigratin process here.

1. Once you submit all the above documents to the appropriate service center, you'll get a receipt letter.
                            2. About 3 month later, you will get a work authorization notice (EAD), which will allow you to work.
                            3. Then sometime later, they will send you an appointment letter for fingerprint and tell you where and when. Once your finger print is done, the security background check on you and your wife will be initiated.
                            4. Once your I-130 is approved, you'll receive a letter with an interview notice for adjustment of status. This could take anywhere from 6-12 months.
                            5. At the interview, you'll be questioned on validity of your marriage based on evidences you bring. At the end of interview, you'll be either approved, denied, or asked to send additional evidences for pending decision. Also, note that you can be approved at this point only if the security checks on you has been completed.
                            6. If approved, you'll receive the green card in the mail.

I probably missed some steps here, but that's about the gist of it.

Comment

curiosity has got the better of me here....

Is ur gf/wife a USC?

Because if she isnt u have far more reaching problems.

for the marriage her ssn card and passport is enough and i would think her driving lic too.

dont keep saying a interrogation process !! Believe me if u go in there thinking it is they (the interviewing officers) will not really be happy! And u do send off the wrong vibes. Might be better to curb it a little bit.

No u cant work for approx 3 months and then u have to find a job which might take a little longer! Your bank account u say wont like it but its going to have to cope because do NOT WORK WITHOUT A WORK PERMIT!!

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation