Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

? for BronzeLady - Expiring passport, what to do with I-551 stamp?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? for BronzeLady - Expiring passport, what to do with I-551 stamp?

Hi,

My friend had an AOS interview in April 2004, got her I-551 stamp. But her passport will expire on June 30, 2004; it cannot be extended any more, so she had applied for a new passport from the Embassy. It will be ready this week. Can she just go with both passports to INS and get I-551 stamp in the new passport? She called Immigration Hotline to get an answer, but they told her not to travel until she gets the Green Card. It may take few more months. And she was planning to visit her familly this summer. It's confusing.

Please, help!

Thanks.

Hi,

My friend had an AOS interview in April 2004, got her I-551 stamp. But her passport will expire on June 30, 2004; it cannot be extended any more, so she had applied for a new passport from the Embassy. It will be ready this week. Can she just go with both passports to INS and get I-551 stamp in the new passport? She called Immigration Hotline to get an answer, but they told her not to travel until she gets the Green Card. It may take few more months. And she was planning to visit her familly this summer. It's confusing.

Please, help!

Thanks.

Comment

She needs to let the embassy know that she needs the old passport back. Chances are great that they would do that anyway once they see the I-551 stamp in her passport and that it is not expired. Don't bother going to the local office. They are not going to give her another stamp she has one already and it is good for a year. It's not CIS problem that she didn't renew her passport prior to obtaining a stamp good for 1 year.

Comment

Thank you for reply BronzeLady,

She actually applied for the new passport 5 months ago, and embassy is finally issuing her new passport only because July 1, 2004 is a cut-off date for obtaining current version of the passport. They were insisting that she had to go to her country to get a new passport, but she could not until she gets AOS (she came to US 7 years ago.) Her father has serious health problem, and she is going to see him no matter what.

She will try to keep the old passport as a proof of I-551. But when she travels now, does she need to bring two passports to prove her status? Or wait for physical GC?

Thank you for your expertise and advice.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Hi lanavip,

Its always better to wait for actual green card and then travel out of USA... I –551 is just as good as green card but still whatever posts I read here.... They will still let you in at airport but might give you little hard time...that's all was discussed before in similar questions... good luck

Comment

Thank you Pasha,
            I appreciate your help, so as many other people on this forum do.

It's a shame the new passport took so long to get. On official embassy site said it would take 3 to 4 months.

Good luck to you!

Comment

Working...
            X