GOP’s Mishandling of Immigration Could Hurt Party in November

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GOP’s Mishandling of Immigration Could Hurt Party in November

Mitt Romney may have won the Arizona primary yesterday, but the Republicans’ mishandling of the immigration issue during the primary season could have serious general election consequences for the GOP. Romney’s embrace of the immigration policy he calls “self-deportation” and his endorsement of Arizona’s “papers, please” SB1070 as a “model” for the nation are among the most visible examples of the fact that the Republican presidential primary race has tacked to the extreme right on immigration, hurting their chances with Latino voters. Now, exit polls and other information confirms the fact that it didn’t have to be this way. Republican voters are actually far more moderate on the immigration issue than the party-line stance would indicate.

Read more here
    -BoardWizard

How could they possibly mishandle it beyond what they have done already?
    The author must have a peculiar sense of humor.

Whether it will or will not hurt GOP during upcoming election is something that remains to be seen.
    It may or it may not.

Regardless, immigrants shall never forget these times. There are decades and
    generations ahead. Plenty of time to keep our memories fresh, just as Jews did after Holocaust.

Comment

It's not just immigration that's the problem. Campaigning on social issues, attacking women's rights and bemoaning the perceived loss of religious freedom make for a very narrow choice of electorate.
      "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

Comment

Originally posted by Brit4064:
        It's not just immigration that's the problem. Campaigning on social issues, attacking women's rights and bemoaning the perceived loss of religious freedom make for a very narrow choice of electorate.
        Religion is their (extreme right) weakest point, that's where they shall be pounded the most forcefully.

In effect they are trying to impose Sharia sort rules inspired by the Holy Books in lieu of US Constitution and US Laws.

Look how they are panicking and screaming "Defend our right to exercise our Faith" as if anyone suggests to deny it to them.

What is being questioned is an attempt to force down peoples' throats a Taliban/Sharia sort of laws.

Nothing is further from Spirit of US and US Constitution than Religion imposing its' medieval rules as the Law of this modern land.

"Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burned, tortured, fined and imprisoned. What has been the effect of this coercion? To make one half the world fools and the other half hypocrites; to support roguery and error all over the earth... Our sister states of Pennsylvania and New York, however, have long subsisted without any establishment at all. The experiment was new and doubtful when they made it. It has answered beyond conception. They flourish infinitely. Religion is well supported; of various kinds, indeed, but all good enough; all sufficient to preserve peace and order: or if a sect arises, whose tenets would subvert morals, good sense has fair play, and reasons and laughs it out of doors, without suffering the state to be troubled with it. They do not hang more malefactors than we do. They are not more disturbed with religious dissensions. On the contrary, their harmony is unparalleled, and can be ascribed to nothing but their unbounded tolerance, because there is no other circumstance in which they differ from every nation on earth. They have made the happy discovery, that the way to silence religious disputes, is to take no notice of them. Let us too give this experiment fair play, and get rid, while we may, of those tyrannical laws."
        "No man shall be compelled to frequent or support any religious worship, place, or ministry whatsoever, nor shall be enforced, restrained, molested, or burdened in his body or goods, nor shall otherwise suffer, on account of his religious opinions or belief; but that all men shall be free to profess, and by argument to maintain, their opinions in matters of religion, and that the same shall in no wise diminish, enlarge, or affect their civil capacities."
        ~Thomas Jefferson

I say let's grill them (extreme religious right) on their own fire and push down their throats a few lessons in US Constitution and what
        the Founding Fathers had to say about these criminals masquerading as followers of Jesus and/or God.

Comment

No Brain Brit and Olde moron 2 are just afraid that the American people are catching onto the dangers of immigration.

Comment

Originally posted by federale86:
            No Brain Brit and Olde moron 2 are just afraid that the American people are catching onto the dangers of immigration.
            Mujaheed Federale86 is feeling the heat on his feet. Good!

Comment

The danger for America are people like fedNUT.
              "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

Comment

The real issue isn't so much religious freedom although that is under attack. If we had to live under doctrine of religion, which would you prefer? What dominates now, a moderate form of Christianity, or this?

The primary issue is the give away mentality which is what obama used to win first time around. He couldn't give a rat's behind about immigration. When will you realize that?

The facts are, he's deported far more than any other president. A complete reversal of what he said he would do to get elected. He lied, and will keep on lying as liars do.
                This message brought to you by the vast right wing conspiracy.

Comment

A complete reversal of what he said he would do to get elected. He lied, and will keep on lying as liars do.
                  And Romney isn't a liar right? No he just flip-flops so nobody really knows what his positions are. Not that I'm worried. The GOP won't win in November. They just lost half the vote because of their attack on women.

Comment

Attack? Such sensationalistic dribble.

A church should not be forced to condone baby killing just because the state does. Where is the separation? If the state wants the church out, likewise, it should abstain from matters inherent to the church.

Besides, not all woman think of unborn babies as disposable. That presumed sentiment is actually beginning to sway in the other direction.

Don't worry Brit. You'll be able to stay on unaccountable extended, extended, extended unemployment, welfare, food stamps, etc... I doubt the nation will adopt a more self respecting position any time soon. We'll have to really hit rock bottom for that to happen. We're getting close though.

Comment

Originally posted by davdah:
                      The real issue isn't so much religious freedom although that is under attack. If we had to live under doctrine of religion, which would you prefer? What dominates now, a moderate form of Christianity, or this?

The primary issue is the give away mentality which is what obama used to win first time around. He couldn't give a rat's behind about immigration. When will you realize that?

The facts are, he's deported far more than any other president. A complete reversal of what he said he would do to get elected. He lied, and will keep on lying as liars do.
                      It is a false dilemma and false choice you offer there, davdah, and you know it. It's like asking if one had a choice between execution by firing squad or hanging, which one would they prefer.
                      There is NO DICTATE OF RELIGION IN USA UNDER US CONSTITUTION, PERIOD!
                      Choice is between thAt and some medieval dimwit Taliban-like criminals who masquerade under the banner of religion , grab the power and later bring about what we all know very well from our history textbooks and what we observe in Iran, Saudi Arabia and Afghanistan.

You have a religion , or belief ? You want to pray to Santa Claus 20 times day? Feel free!
                      You have every right to claim that Santa Claus rides his deers in open Space and is responsible for all the toys and gadgets you've got since you were born, but don't tell me that Santa Claus is MY overseer and is in control of MY life and that I have to live the rest of MY life to please YOUR Santa Claus.

That guy you linked , this is my understanding,is unaware of US Constitution. I do not think his ruling will stand scrutiny of the higher court.
                      Sitting on the bench, this guy must have studied law and must have contemplated consequences of his decision before reading a verdict, so one must
                      wonder if he made such absurd ruling to have it overturned by higher court and with greater resonance or if he sincerely believed his own ruling was
                      constitutionally valid. Either way, it should and will be thrown out.

So much for false dilemma you presented.

Next, given a choice between a candidate who doesn't give rat's behind about some issue and other candidates who go to bed dreaming of inferno
                      where they could burn 20 million people, I think it takes an IDIOT not to support Obama and instead support those other candidates who made it plain and clear that their main goal is pleasing lobbyists of prison corps who are to make billions of dollars out of creating a 20 million large GULAG for
                      very people they have lured and kept here for decades when they needed cheap potatoes.

Whatever "lies" Obama may have told he is a saint when you start to compare him to what some of his opponents are all about.

Comment

A church should not be forced to condone baby killing just because the state does. Where is the separation? If the state wants the church out, likewise, it should abstain from matters inherent to the church.
                        It does! It was never amended. Since when did access to contraception have anything to do with an "attack on Religion" davdah? Apparently the GOP seem hellbent on trying to link the two together thinking this is a big vote winner for them. They will loose half the voting population if they keep on this track.

Seems the GOP Senate is backing off the idea now they've had an earful from the female voters...

From one top GOP senator openly lamenting the fallout of the ongoing fight over contraception, to the author of the controversial legislation at the heart of that fight effectively conceding defeat in the upper chamber, signs mounted Tuesday that suggest Senate Republicans want to put the birth control controversy to bed.

“You know, I think we’ve got as many votes as I think there were to get on that,” Senate GOP Conference Vice Chairman Roy Blunt told TPM Tuesday afternoon after a weekly Capitol briefing. “I think the House side may take some further action. That debate will go on for a long time, though I don’t know that there’s anything else to happen in the Senate in the near future.”

The concession marks a departure for the GOP leadership, which as recently as last week insisted that Republicans were on the right side of the issue and would fight on.

TPMDC.com

Comment

Brit, it has everything to do with it. In most every religion life begins at conception. The ruling democrats want to force any church offering health care to provide not just contraception but abortion on demand labeled as family planning.

They call it an 'attack' on women if the right objects to forcing churches to adopt democrat encroachment on constitutional liberties.

E, check it out in more detail. It was a criminal trial. There will be no higher court ruling. The guy had the charges dismissed. He got off scott free. There was a police officer who testified that he admitted the crime at the scene. Not admitted. The victim had a video of the incident. Not admitted. Why? Perhaps it was because according to sharia only muslim evidence is admissible.

People complain about christian thinking being applied to judges rulings all the time. Perhaps there are times when it has swayed opinion ever so slightly. However, this is an example of what happens when muslim interference works it's way into the judiciary. The full audio of the trial is available here. Still thinks it's a false dilemma?

As far as candidates go. Look at the facts. What has Obama done? What has the last several elected republicans done. Compare the numbers minus the smoke and mirror accusations made by the left. Who's put the most in those prison camps you fear? It wasn't Bush. It was Obama.

Comment

Originally posted by davdah:

E, check it out in more detail. It was a criminal trial. There will be no higher court ruling. The guy had the charges dismissed. He got off scott free. There was a police officer who testified that he admitted the crime at the scene. Not admitted. The victim had a video of the incident. Not admitted. Why? Perhaps it was because according to sharia only muslim evidence is admissible.

People complain about christian thinking being applied to judges rulings all the time. Perhaps there are times when it has swayed opinion ever so slightly. However, this is an example of what happens when muslim interference works it's way into the judiciary. The full audio of the trial is available here. Still thinks it's a false dilemma?
                            Inherent falsity of dilemma you present is in making it seem as a choice between Muslim Wahhabism and Christian Wahhabism.
                            Whereas, the choice should be between any form of Religious Dictate vs Free Society Under the Constitution (the system that Founding Fathers created here).
                            You can try as much as you can to describe one form of Wahhabism as more preferable to another (perhaps you being a Jesusist Wahhabi you try to convince people that it is better form of Wahhabism than Muhanmedan Wahhabism), but to me there isn't much choice at all, as both essentially try to do the same thing: use the Religion to impose Sahria sort of Holy Book inspired rules and use criminal tactics to enforce it.

As to Judges ruling in case you bring up:
                            The reason I suspect the evidence wasn't admitted in a case you linked is that , from watching a video (I watched it for the first time when you posted it), it seems like the guy was screaming at the victim to cease talking and walking with whatever he had on, but you can't see the actual struggle, only hear the victim saying "he is attacking me, call the police" and walking on. If you make claim in court (assault or aggravated assault) you must also present evidence of damage done.
                            Muslim in that case, being a d.umb a.ss as Muslims usually are, of course found no other way of disagreeing than shouting at other to desist to exercise the protected right to free speech. But it doesn't seem like there is evidence of further action (a physical altercation, injury etc). Court looks at totality of evidence, not just testimony of affected parties, and you can't win criminal case if there is any reasonable doubt.

If I were the affected guy I would find out where that Muslim lives or passes by every day and I would walk on public property surrounding that Muslims' habitat screaming "Screw Muhammad" 24/7 (of course making sure I wasn't in any way harassing or doing anything unlawful to that individual) . I would try to make sure someone was filming the whole thing (or put similar to police camera in my car or somewhere nearby , where everything would fall into objective) and if that dummy decided to come out and do something stupid, this time I would surely have all the evidence I needed.

As far as candidates go. Look at the facts. What has Obama done? What has the last several elected republicans done. Compare the numbers minus the smoke and mirror accusations made by the left. Who's put the most in those prison camps you fear? It wasn't Bush. It was Obama.
                            Well, it's the long story. Obama's top adviser who won Congress for Dems (06) and helped to bring Obama to WH (08) had this strategy of doing what FAIRUS.ORG was asking for a long while before (enforcement through attrition, going after employers , etc.).

You must note two things in this respect:

#1. Dem base does suffer from unlimited cheap labor and Labor Unions do not take favorably any policy where their living standards go down competing to foreign workers. So, there was at least some logic in his actions, however inconsistent with what he promised at campaign rallies it might be.
                            In the end Obama lost Congress anyway (hence change in strategy after midterm elections).

#2. He didn't just issue order to ICE to go on hunting expedition and mow down the first Mexican looking folk on any street corner.
                            Instead, he said let's use whatever resources we have on getting those who are top priority to us (Congress gives him funds to remove 400,000 and not 20 millions).

Latter seems to be a perfectly rational approach (he can't expel more than 400K, while he got 20 mil on his plate, why not go after bad guys first?).
                            As to numbers removed, that is funded by Congress and all he does is use allocated funds to do efficient job.

You would think, under any circumstances, if there was an objective analysis of his actions, even his most bitter adversaries would have to concede that the guy was doing his job, and rationally at that.
                            Yet, we live in a theater of absurd world where rationale plays little to no role.
                            And whenever I tried to dig where so much stupidity was coming from I couldn't avoid seeing its' source in the so called RELIGIOUS right.

Sorry, davdah, but facts are facts and they do not support your picture of evil, dark spirited Obama out to imprison 80 years old grandma not in status out there.
                            But I bet, if well known folks get in the office where these things are managed we may see whole bunch of ambulances chasing half conscious elderly men and women to turn them over to private correction firms for indefinite detention and $$$ per individual/per day compensation.

And therein is a HUGE difference between Obama and some of those who want to throw him out.

Comment

Still got it wrong. The police officer testified that the accused admitted to him that he grabbed the victim. Of course after consulting with his attorney he recanted that admission. The officer's testimony was ignored as well. There was another witness who wasn't allowed to testify at all.

With Christians they tend to accept secular leadership. There are fringe exceptions but overall it's been a good working relationship for the past few hundred years. With islam there is no compromise. It's either all sharia or your head is removed. Cut and dry.

With regard to the candidates you glossed over the actual numbers. More people were deported under obama than anyone else. You're speculating at what the GOP might have in mind to do since they haven't done anything. The facts are what exist and what happened. Facts are not what people can twist campaign stumping into. Not even when the current administration said they would make reform a thing done within the first 90 days. Stick with what really happened. He lied, lied some more, and did just the opposite.

When under republican leadership, anytime there was an ICE raid or any actual immigration enforcement the left was in a tizzy screaming for the raids to stop. The excuses and hand-ringing were at their peak. Now that obama is doing what the left feared of the right, justifications abound. The people tossed weren't isolated to the most deviant criminal types. They were as random as any group of people assembled. It's just that these were assembled in those subcontracted prisons you have a distaste for. With Obama's picture hanging up on the entry way wall of course.

Comment

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation

Attorney2Attorney