• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IMMIGRATION BILL DEAD END

So much for these ingrates who burned and peed on our flag

So much for these ingrates who burned and peed on our flag

Comment

Im not included in your accusations. Im a bearer of this flag, and I lived in the US from 99 till June of last year. That made me see how strong this country is and how important we, immigrants, are for It.

Comment

You're right, IMMIGRANTS are important to us, but ILLEGAL ALIENS are not. Were illegal aliens to get "legalized" you can bet we'd see even more disrespect for law, order, and fair play--disrespect which we also see in certain high officials who are in the pocket of corporations and special interests.

Comment

I still would've like to see some type of enforcement bills being passed though. Gotta do something with the broken borders...

Comment

True, Marm. But there is nothing, IF this Administration so wishes, to prevent seeing that the existing laws start getting enforced. It could start by figuring out what to do about the hundreds of thousands here on TPS, other than continually renewing that status and hoping for amnesty. It already has records for them. It could start by working for secure social security cards--if my credit card company can manage the database, why can't SS? It could start by rolling out the "pilot" employer verification program. It could start by working for cooperation among agencies, federal with federal and state with federal. It, most importantly, could start by having the President announce, loudly and publicly, that we are not going to tolerate illegal immigration, and that our immigration laws will be enforced. I can't help but think that that latter would send Bush's approval ratings way up.

Comment

Yep, prevent SSN fraud.

Providing employers with an easy means to verify SSN's would be a first step. If employers had a quick way to verify work document then the "I couldn't tell" excuse would be gone. Real employer fines would slow the flow. We'd see fewer coming or overstaying for work. Dealing with those already here would easier.

Turn off the spigot, dry up the flow.

Comment

NO MORE IMMIGRATION REFORM

Comment

True Aliba, but enforcing the current system doesn't have the same bang with "FULLY COMPREHENSIVE IMMIGRATION REFORM", and that's what politicians wants (or don't want, I've no idea anymore).
                  I still think a stricter border control and immigration enforcement is a must to fix the problem. Right now we've 12 millions of illegals and growing. By the time the senate/house ready to tackle this problem again, I won't be surprised if they have double the number of illegals.

Comment

you better believe that more people in mexico will try to rush to the border now that the immigration debate has been delayed so this would give them more time to think about where there are going to cross the border " should we cross the border in arizona or texas?"..there will cross where ever there is less agents and barriere.

what a big mess..i just cant believed those guy delayed this stuff and are going on vacation for 2 F U C K I N G weeks..umbelievable..how about those lawmakers give up their 2 weeks and stay their A S S in washington to work things out..those lawmakers arent sweating so why should they get vacation time?? we have a very important issue in our country and those guys going to spring break whyle our border are still open and 12 millions people are still living in the shadow open for exploitation from everyone that wants to squeeze money out of them??

this is discusting.. F U C K harry reid and F U C K kyl they can all go to hell..republican and democrats.

Comment

come on, it's DEAD, those fu ck ers burried it, they will not return to it after vacation

Comment

It's not dead. If all goes well, on April 24th well pick up the debate.

Yes, time off will slow the process but this situation MUST be taken care of. Every day folks come across the border AND WE HAVE NO IDEA WHO THEY ARE. We have 11+ million folks in the shadows in this country AND WE HAVE NO IDEA WHO THEY ARE! It is straight up irresponsible and reckless for the Senate NOT to act on this on April 24th.

Dunno, maybe I'm the eternal optimist. I know I plan on firing of as many e-mails and letters to Senators as my fingers can type!

Comment

Sen. Specter said the SJC will take on the bill right after the break.

Comment

Yes, they will pick it up promptly after returning. This is just a delay, but I can't get over the fact that our Senators cannot come to terms and get it done!

Comment

Nah....immigration reform is dead this year. It's too good of an issue for the Democrats in the November elections. That's why a majority of House Democrats voted against removing the felony criminalization provisions from the bill. They are going to use H.R. 4437 and all the backlash against the Republicans. Soon the campaigning will begin and nothing more will get done on anything. H.R. 4437 and the Senate bills will both die.

As for 2007, if the Democrats get control of the House they will impeach Bush and if that happens it is unlikely that anything will happen with immigration in that year. Then we have the Presidential elections of 2008.

It usually take years to enact any legislation as complex as immigration. If I recall correctly, the immigration debate really started gathering steam around 1993 and the climate was similar to what's happening today. In 1995 the Oklahoma City bombing happened and that put immigration reform and terrorism in the same boat and on the fast track. In 1996 Congress passed the IIRAIRA and clinton signed it into law.

Overall, I don't see anything being done until maybe 2009. If the U.S. really wanted to stop illegal immigration it could do so easily. We could send the National Guard and seal off the Border overnight. The "pilot" employer verification system could be fully functional nationwide in 8-12 months. The REAL ID act already passed and a biometric National ID would be easy to implement to verify legal status and employment eligibility. We could use old military bases as detention centers and get local law enforcement to help out. All this is possible with the laws already on the book. All this political BS is just for show in order to appease the masses and to divert attention from other problems. Big business demands cheap labor and big business runs this country. I don't expect anything to change anytime soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X